Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 03:45 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,291,165 times

Advertisements

Can't find a thread on this.

I've been faithfully trying to transition to co-washing for about 1 month. I really want to like it.

I follow the directions--put a ton of it on and leave it on for a while, rinse for at least 3 minutes.

It comes out dry. I just don't like the feel of my hair.

My scalp is drier too.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 06:48 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,988,586 times
I don't know what "co-washing" is...but if it's not working....STOP IT! Ok...looked it up....stop it!

Use some shampoo! The oils in your hair are probably not allowing the conditioner to work properly. Just like if you use too much fabric softener on your clothes...it will ruin them. What made you start doing this, anyway?

Conditioner will not "cleanse" your hair or scalp...probably leaving a nasty film on your scalp!

Old 11-19-2015, 08:47 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,074,625 times
I had to look it up as I have never heard of it, but our hair will naturally produce the oils it needs. Conditioner is used because when we wash it we are stripping away the natural oils of our hair. So I would imagine, if JUST using conditioner your hair would feel extra heavy and be flat. Unless you naturally have really dry frizzy hair. If anything, wash your hair less if you can. I used to wash my hair every single day, now I go three days (unless I do something and get dirty, sweat, etc) and my hair is so much healthier. I use less heat and less washes and I notice my hair is much healthier.
I've never heard of it and I didn't read much about it though. Maybe somebody else will have some more sound advice.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:24 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
I tried co-washing and it didn't help my hair, either. I have long (bra strap length) hair that is wavy and dry. I also tried washing less frequently but didn't notice a difference. Conditioners tend to weight my hair down and ruin my natural wave pattern.

Now, I use a moisturizing shampoo and leave-in conditioner + occasional heat protectant (even though I rarely use heat styling tools). I wash once or twice a week, followed by leave in conditioner that has argan oil. On other days, I rinse my hair (no shampoo) and follow with leave in conditioner. If it's really humid, I use HSI spray and just leave it in my hair. So far its working.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:07 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,291,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Conditioner will not "cleanse" your hair or scalp
My scalp and hair is super dry with only co-washing, and conditioners contain detergents.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:02 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,476,898 times
It is best to alternate with a shampoo and a cowash every other wash. So that way you are not only using conditioner to wash your hair, but you are also using something that can actually clean/clarify the hair as well.

Old 11-22-2015, 11:07 AM

559 posts, read 1,394,400 times
If you've been co-washing with products that contain silicones, quaternium or polyquaternium they could be building up and causing that feeling of dryness.

Protein in your hair products can also cause dryness.

There's more info on silicones and protein at Product Ingredients | Live Curly Live Free.

More info on quaternium and polyquaternium at TightlyCurly.com.

If you have hard water that could be causing a problem too. You can buy a water softener if you want.

To get rid of product buildup and mineral deposits from hard water you can use one of these before you co-wash again:
clarifying & chelating shampoo
apple cider vinegar
clay powder (e.g. bentonite clay or rhassoul clay) mixed with water and/or apple cider vinegar

Old 11-22-2015, 03:30 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Everyone's hair is different. For me, my hair is mostly grey under my color, and is fine and not very thick. It gets oily at the scalp and dry on the ends. I recently stopped coloring and using any regular shampoos or conditioners. I use a wonderful shampoo bar, and rinse with diluted white vinegar with a drop of lavendar oil and my hair has NEVER BEEN BETTER! It feels fuller and thicker with more body and shine, and is not weighed down. It also STOPPED BEING STATIC-Y and flyaway, which used to be a huge problem for me. I only wash twice per week. Anyway, I am thinking unless one has really frizzy or thick curly hair CO washing isn't the best option.

Old 11-28-2015, 11:33 AM

1,639 posts, read 2,201,344 times
OP...are you black? I suggest you visit sites that cater to black hair, because it is different. Co-washing is something I found out about on those sites, and it did make my hair and others hair grow. Not that its for you necessarily, but you should just research among people with your own hair type. Just type in black hair care forums, and things will come up. I think black Hair Care Media is one of them that i can remember. JMO

Old 12-13-2015, 04:27 PM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineAA View Post
Can't find a thread on this.

I've been faithfully trying to transition to co-washing for about 1 month. I really want to like it.

I follow the directions--put a ton of it on and leave it on for a while, rinse for at least 3 minutes.

It comes out dry. I just don't like the feel of my hair.

My scalp is drier too.

Thoughts?

My friend tried A Famous Brand, and loved how her hair came out the first time. But subsequent washings left her hair greasy and lifeless, so she went back to regular shampoo.

But it made me curious. I might try washing with conditioner, just not that Three Capital Letters exoensive infomercial stuff---too many reports of hair loss. I'd use whatever I had on hand, and save it for the Now and Then category.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care