U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 05:15 PM

2,566 posts, read 6,342,529 times
Default prices for salon services

I currently pay $50 for a haircut. I'm happy with my stylist and feel it's fair. What I don't understand is.... why is single process color $60? and a blowout $35?
These fees don't seem in line with the cut charge. I would think more time and talent goes into cutting hair. Do you agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 05:51 PM

306 posts, read 1,093,934 times
I'm guessing that for what they pay for rent and utilities, not to mention the cost of living, the stylist is probably losing money on your cut...especially if you're in their chair for longer than 1 hour and they aren't booked solid (most aren't). If you think about all that, they make their money on things like the blowdry and coloring. I think you'll find this at most salons. Especially private or small salons.

I pay $35 for my cuts, but can't get out the door if I get a partial foil for less than $100. A normal full visit for me is about $150 including tip...this is also why you can see my roots! :-) Lucky for me, my hair grows slowly and I don't color drastically!

Old 02-12-2008, 04:50 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,129,583 times
Time is money.These prices are fair for the time that you are booked in the chair. In order for your stylist to make a decent living,they have to be compensated for their time.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:04 AM

2,566 posts, read 6,342,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
Time is money.These prices are fair for the time that you are booked in the chair. In order for your stylist to make a decent living,they have to be compensated for their time.
My point is that a haircut and blowout is $50, and a blowout is $35. Is the haircut worth only $15? Almost anyone in the salon can apply color....but cut? No way! Much more time and talent to cut my hair than to color.

Next time I go, the cut price will probably go up

Old 02-12-2008, 09:52 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,129,583 times
Actually,hair coloring is much more complicated and much easier to mess up.Also,it is far less time consuming to blow dry a head of hair after it is cut[it has had a chance to start drying] then to start fresh on totally wet hair.You can do a blow dry in 30 minutes and a haircut/blow dry in 45 minutes.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:48 PM

9 posts, read 55,153 times
I am a stylist and My cut is $37 with a blow dry and my Blow dry is $26. When you get your hair colored every 4-6 weeks you should get a trim. We have had the problem that people think that color includes the blow dry. I can blow dry someone in 15 mins and a cut with blow dry in about 35 mins depending on the cut of course. Yes anyone can apply color but you need the right formula. Personally I make my most money on Colors. 46% of all my clients get color with a cut. I have an associate that does all my blow drys so I have more time to spend with my guest for color and highlights. If you have any questions please feel free to ask

Amy

Old 11-18-2008, 09:36 PM

1 posts, read 19,356 times
you have to stop looking at it as individual services but instead as time sold: what can be done in 1/2 hr will cost less than what can be done in 45 minutes and believe me not just anyone can apply color or blowdry ....

Old 11-19-2008, 05:19 AM

12,723 posts, read 3,046,002 times
I'm living in a small town with about 4000 inhabitants and we have exactly one salon. Price of cuts depends on the hair lenght over here. My mom gets her hair cut plus lashes and eyebrows colored for 25 $.
I have longer hair (more than shoulder length) and normally I pay for washing/cut/blow dry about 40 $.

We also have bigger and better salons which offer more colors, better comfort and the stylists take much more time to talk to you and recommend things. My friend went to one them once and paid for a cut and color job nearly 200 $. Way too much for me but I don't need all the fuzz. Mostly I know what I want and lately my highlights and the cuts don't take that long.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:06 AM

1 posts, read 14,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
My point is that a haircut and blowout is $50, and a blowout is $35. Is the haircut worth only $15? Almost anyone in the salon can apply color....but cut? No way! Much more time and talent to cut my hair than to color.

Next time I go, the cut price will probably go up

As someone else has already clarified, it take far less time to blowdry after a cut than doing a blowdry by itself. Also, when you get a blow dry with your cut it is usually more simple than if you just came in for a blowdry because the stylist needs to be able to see the cut and make adjustments after it is dry. If they manipulate the hair too much, i.e. round brushing, etc. they won't be able to finish the cut with as much precision.

Coloring is not as simple as someone applying the color. What you are paying for with your color service is formulation and PROPER application. Without these two, color can be disastrous. It is not as easy as picking a color on a swatch and applying it. There is a whole lot of chemistry, color theory and product knowledge that goes along with color. Don't forget that with color the price of the service also included the cost of the product they are apply on your hair which these days can be very costly.

Price may go up, but you have to factor in continuing education/training, inflation, etc. Being a stylist is very hard on the human body. Many of these stylists suffer from carpal tunnel, foot, leg and back problems.

Old 03-14-2010, 05:52 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,786,789 times
God bless the hair stylist. I am a former, licensed hair dresser. As others have said, not everyone can put color on. Boy I have seen some screw ups in my time. I dearly pay my excellent stylist $85 every 6 wks. for cut and 1 process root touch up, and $125 for cut, tu, low lights every 4 mos. Time is money and he is worth every cent, I am out of the salon blown dry and styled in 1 hr. & 15 mins. a la carte haircut $55, single process $65, high/low lights $95, blow dry included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care