Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 11:55 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,879,210 times

Advertisements

That prompted me to Google.

Quote:
In men, graying usually begins at the temples and in the sideburns. Later it spreads to the vertex and the remainder of the scalp, affecting the occiput last. Women usually start graying around the perimeter of the hairline. The rate at which an individual turns gray depends on genetics. It is not uncommon to observe kinships with marked early graying. The rate of graying is also highly variable, not only on different areas of the scalp but also across the body. This may reflect variations in original melanocyte precursor seedings during melanoblast migrations in embryogenesis or in differences of niche quality. [9] Beard and body hair are affected later. Chest, pubic, and axillary hair may remain pigmented even in old age. [22] Jo et al. reported temporal and occipital areas to be more commonly involved in men than in women, with graying usually starting in the temporal area in men but in the frontal area in women. Initially involved scalp regions were also different depending on age of onset; that is, parietal or occipital [back of the head] area was more involved at onset in early-onset group, whereas frontal area was more involved initially in late-onset group. Early onset did not mean faster progress. Rather, the extent of grayness sharply increased after the fifth decade regardless of age at onset. [41] Graying of hair is usually progressive and permanent, but there are occasional reports of spontaneous repigmentation of gray hair, and partial, spontaneous reversal of canities may occur during the early stages of canities, whereby melanogenesis in de-activated bulbar melanocytes is re-started during anagen of the same hair growth cycle.
Premature graying of hair Pandhi D, Khanna D - Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 06:44 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Interesting topic.

I just went completely natural this past year (I'm 54) and I LOVE it. I am nearly completely gray. Unlike many people on this thread, my hair is dark around the bottom and ears and gets lighter and lighter toward the top - like a natural ombre! LOL I tell myself that some people pay big money for this look!

Anyway, I have gotten so many more compliments since I let my hair go natural. And it feels great and shines like silver in the sun. So much easier than all that coloring.

I have a very light skin tone but it has a lot of "color" to it. In other words, I have naturally peachy undertones to my fair skin. I have very dark eyes and dark eyebrows. My natural hair color, which is about 80 percent gray at least, looks better with my skin tone than my dyed hair did. I did have to change my makeup tones and some of the colors of clothes I wear. I don't look good in "autumn" colors anymore and look better in jewel tones now - so I've been enjoying shopping! I also can wear cherry red (rather than tomato red) so I've had fun with lipstick too.

Old 08-27-2016, 11:33 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,426,125 times
I'm 70, with dark blonde hair, and started noticing a few gray hairs only last year. I worked with a gal whose hair turned a lovely shade of silver when she was in her 20s -- it was such a dramatic transformation that you'd have sworn she had colored it.

Old 08-27-2016, 11:49 PM

509 posts, read 554,536 times
1 patch in my mid-20s, but that was due to a very bad situation at a salon.
Quite a few strands in the front by my early 30s
about 10% all over by my early 40s. It came on quick due to significant health and stress factors.

Old 09-01-2016, 06:04 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,938,692 times
I've been blonde my entire life with shades of strands ranging from almost white to dark blonde so it's been very difficult to tell when I really started turning gray. Plus when I moved to the East Coast (from California) 10 years ago I started to get highlights done to retain what the sun would do for me in California. Then I had a short lived time of just using a box brand at home because I hated to go to the salon. It's been a couple years now with doing nothing to my hair and I can tell now that all new growth is gray. So I would say that I started going gray in my late 40's (I'm now in my early fifties).

I actually prefer my gray hair as it is a mix of pretty white with a little darker ash tone to it. So I probably will just continue to embrace it. However there is a side of me that has always wanted to try something totally different. I told my husband that one day he may come home and have a woman with auburn hair in his bedroom ;-)

Old 09-01-2016, 06:23 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
I noticed a few gray hairs popping up approx. at the age of 35.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:21 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Fifty four and I love my natural hair color. Curiosity finally got the best of me and I "let 'er rip" this year. I don't think I will ever color my hair again!
Attached Thumbnails
When did you go gray?-hair-september-2016.jpg  

Old 09-08-2016, 09:43 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,193,525 times
I'm 59 and have a few gray hairs around my temples for the past 4 years. My hair is naturally a mousy brown since my 40s, so now I have the salon do low lights all over and a few highlights around the face. Originally I was a natural blonde with lots of highlights, living near the beach in southern California. Once I moved to the Midwest in my late 30s that all changed.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:14 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,725,104 times
I had my first few grays pop up right around 30/31. Now I'm 38 and I'm just starting to think I should probably start dyeing it. I have quite a bit all along my hairline. It's very obvious when I wear a ponytail (the rest of my hair is medium brown). Or maybe I'll just leave it... it sparkles in the sun, anyway! My husband is 40 and has naturally very dark brown hair, almost black. He is probably 60-70% bald, but he's getting some gray in his sideburns/beard/temples now.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:17 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,968,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Saw some in my early 30's but it didn't read as "grey" until my late 40's. Over time my light auburn hair just kept getting lighter and less auburn until I was pale, dingy blonde.
My hair is getting lighter with age too. I think it happens to people who have red tones in their natural hair color.

I have some gray well more like silver white hair but I cut it(I'm not plucking it, I don't wanna go bold) LOL I'm not planning to dye my hair any time soon. I only dyed my hair twice in my life and both times I regretted it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care