Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2017, 08:00 AM

185 posts, read 169,164 times

Advertisements

I want to stop coloring my brown hair to hide the gray. I want to grow out the gray but make the transition less ugly by putting in gray highlights. I know this can be done, I've seen lots of pictures on the internet, but my hair colorist is resistant to doing what I want. Last visit with him he agreed to do it but then all he did was bleach out some strands and then tone to bring them back up some from the white. The highlights look blondish, not gray. Does anyone here know of a hair colorist/stylist in the DFW area who can do this competently?

Old 01-21-2017, 08:07 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
You'll have better luck posting this in the Dallas forum I think.

That being said, transitioning from dyed to gray is painful. I did this last year and now I LOVE my natural hair but the process itself was challenging.

It helps to have short hair!

I just had ash blonde highlights put in as my gray, which is like a salt and pepper, grew out. As my current dye faded, that helped as well. Even so, it was about 8 months of just gritting my teeth.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:49 PM

18,383 posts, read 19,014,497 times
getting grey highlights is almost impossible. it is difficult to maintain. if your hair doesn't completely bleach out you will always end up with a slight blonde highlight and not grey. if it was easy to do gray artificially, no one would have to grow out their hair, they would just color it.

the best you can do is get all over highlights even if they are blonde and let it grow. cut it as short as you are comfortable with. if you have to re do your highlights every 4 months or so a little less so your root line isn't so noticeable. sooner or later you just have to let it go, live with it till it's all grown out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care