Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 11:03 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times

Advertisements

I end up spending around $100-120 plus tip for wash, cut, relaxer, style. Currently I am growing out my relaxer and have been experimenting with a blow out treatment. I go in every 2-3 months.

Now I am at a stage where I don't know what I'd like to do with my hair. So I haven't gone since maybe October while I am deciding. And wearing a lot of ponytails and updos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 12:33 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,787,522 times
I literally just walked in the door from getting 12 inches cut off my hair today. The salon I used to go to charged way too much. The last time I got my hair cut and colored it was almost $200, which is ridiculous. I have super thick hair... enough for about 3 heads, actually! Every stylist I've ever gone to has said, "Oh my God, you have SO much hair!" It's like wearing a huge fur hat. (All the men on my mom's side of the family suffer from male pattern baldness, poor fellas. Doesn't seem to affect the females. I almost feel bad sometimes like I got all their hair, too.)

Today I paid $22 plus I gave her an $8 tip. First time with this stylist... she was young, but confident. I'm not sure I love the style, exactly, but she did what I asked her to do... cut it off. I said I just wanted it to look healthy. She said, "are you SURE you want it all cut off? Are you POSITIVE?" And I said, "Sister, lop it off. I have never cried over my hair, ever. Not once in my life."

I used to pay to have color and highlights but I am doing it myself this weekend. Trying to save money.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:32 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
I have short, thick hair that has to be razor cut every other time. I spend between $40-$45 every 4 weeks depending on whether she washes it or I have just done my own color and wash. I tip her $10.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:25 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,672,176 times
I cut and color my hair, have for years. The reason I learned how to is because I can't stand hair salons. I have really nice hair sheers and it turns out great. It's really not that hard to do. I've thought about trying to do layers, I think I'll have someone first show me.

If anyone is thinking of coloring their hair and saving the time and expense of the salon, my suggestion is to try it. The hair color kits have improved so much over the years, more gentle on the hair, much better color selection, color last much longer.

I use Loreal Experte it's a two step kit - first the base color then the highlighting it takes a little practice but well worth it. Turns out really nice.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:41 AM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
I cut my own now.. partly because I hate hairdressers... the smells. the time it takes, and sitting in a chair where people passing on the street can look in.. why do most hairdressers do this.. the other reason is that I have wavy hair and it used to get cut too short even if I said to them that my hair jumps up when its dry , so has to be left longer. no one listened so I got myself some good hairdressing scissors and clips , sometimes it turns out better than others , I dont let it get too long and just trim off all the ends and try to keep the shape how I like it.. and save a fortune..

Old 02-07-2017, 05:43 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,391,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70's Music Girl View Post
I cut and color my hair, have for years. The reason I learned how to is because I can't stand hair salons. I have really nice hair sheers and it turns out great. It's really not that hard to do. I've thought about trying to do layers, I think I'll have someone first show me.

My stepdaughter learned how to cut layers for her daughter watching a video. She made a cardboard template and the layers came out nice. I tried to find the link but can't find it. Maybe you can find it

BTW, what is the process for the Loreal Experte? Does it come with a cap? How do you dye the strands?

Old 02-07-2017, 07:20 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I pay $38 plus a tip. Friday I'm getting much needed highlights, and I don't know what this person charges, but probably about $125. Including the cut.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:37 AM

865 posts, read 1,488,889 times
I get highlights with a medium and a lighter blonde mixed (foil wraps) to blend the white/gray hairs, and a cut - about $90 to $105 depending on how many colors she mixes.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:04 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,672,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
My stepdaughter learned how to cut layers for her daughter watching a video. She made a cardboard template and the layers came out nice. I tried to find the link but can't find it. Maybe you can find it

BTW, what is the process for the Loreal Experte? Does it come with a cap? How do you dye the strands?
Thank you ! I'll look for the video.

Well there are other highlight kits this is the one I like. After I put the base color on I wait a few day before putting on the highlights.

There isn't a cap, the kit comes with gloves and a few plastic applicators, however, since the highlight formula is such a small amount I find it's easier not to use the gloves. It's a little messy applying highlights and takes a little practice but not much.

I've found the best way is to apply in sections and rotate around front/back left/right and small amounts of hair. In the summer months I usually don't use the highlights, only use the base color. I find that after a few times in the sun a little bit of natural highlight kinda happens. I'm sure it depends on which color kit.

I have really long hair and have thought before I may need two kits, however, there's always enough formula with this kit, and it covers grays really well, too.

Last edited by 70's Music Girl; 02-07-2017 at 05:12 PM..

Old 02-09-2017, 05:09 PM

255 posts, read 451,454 times
I cut and color my own hair also. I've been doing the color for many years, since before I had to due to gray. My hair is dark and it's so easy to do and costs so little especially because I buy the Sally Beauty brand of color called ION. I use the semi or demi permanent one in the silver tube and 20 volume for Sensitive Scalp. One tube and one small bottle last maybe half a year for less than $15.

As for the cut, I have medium length hair now but when it gets warmer I cut off some of that length. I also have layers and bangs. I've been cutting my own hair for about 2 years now. The reason I started was because I was never that happy with the haircuts I got and having to pay for them on top of that just drove me nuts. I went from one hair salon to another, cheap, moderate and once or twice expensive. I decided I'd rather be mad at myself and have not spent the money cause that just made me twice as mad.

It was scary the first time but I was determined, bought some good shears was slow and careful. I had also watched a number of youtube videos on cutting hair in the layered bob style. Besides I had watched the hairdressers cut for so many years, I knew the basics. I do the sectioning and start in the back. I still have a little trouble getting the bottom layers back there short enough so I usually tweak it a few days after I initially cut it. No matter how picky I am about how my hair looks after I've cut it, I've never really screwed it up badly but again, I'm pretty careful. In the beginning it took me an hour or longer and now it takes about half that.

Oh, when I started cutting my own hair I used a mirror I got at a beauty supply store that hangs around your neck and adjusts so you can see the back and sides. That helped but as I got more experienced, I stopped using it. So I just check the back and sides with a hand mirror as I go along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care