U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 03-06-2017, 02:19 AM
 
11,493 posts, read 5,547,302 times
Reputation: 5949

Advertisements

I noticed that many, if not most, men with long hair in the 60s and 70s had layered styles. Gram Parsons is a good example of this.

But now I rarely see men with long hair wear bangs, they usually keep an even length (which I think looks better).
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-06-2017, 02:31 AM
 
Location: At the Lake (in Texas)
2,073 posts, read 1,942,564 times
Reputation: 5003
I kinda miss longer hair on men...I guess the collar-length layered look from the 80s is my favorite, and I actually really like the shaved head look that is popular now...it sure beats the inevitable comb-overs of the past. But I think the bangs were just part of the look of that time, and not all guys had them...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2017, 03:54 AM
 
11,686 posts, read 13,074,643 times
Reputation: 30973
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
I kinda miss longer hair on men...I guess the collar-length layered look from the 80s is my favorite, and I actually really like the shaved head look that is popular now...it sure beats the inevitable comb-overs of the past. But I think the bangs were just part of the look of that time, and not all guys had them...
I was a young man in this era in NYC, and I cannot recall one single guy who had bangs. One thing that made the "Brit Invasion" performers seem strange was that they did have bangs, that bizarre Mamie Eisenhower look. The Beatles original look was snickered at if you were not a teenage female.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2017, 04:48 AM
 
Location: East of the Mississippi and South of Bluegrass
4,093 posts, read 3,386,997 times
Reputation: 8641
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I was a young man in this era in NYC, and I cannot recall one single guy who had bangs. One thing that made the "Brit Invasion" performers seem strange was that they did have bangs, that bizarre Mamie Eisenhower look. The Beatles original look was snickered at if you were not a teenage female.
I agree with this although I will say that the bangs may have been the precursor to the metrosexual look (just guessing as I really don't know). But here's a look back which shows a bit of everything; at that time my husband's hair was layered, straight, and just past the collar (he worked in an industry that did not allow hair to be any longer than that; safety reasons.)

Men's 1970s Hairstyles: An Overview - Hair and Makeup Artist Handbook
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2017, 08:42 AM
 
1,300 posts, read 635,961 times
Reputation: 2088
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
I agree with this although I will say that the bangs may have been the precursor to the metrosexual look (just guessing as I really don't know). But here's a look back which shows a bit of everything; at that time my husband's hair was layered, straight, and just past the collar (he worked in an industry that did not allow hair to be any longer than that; safety reasons.)

Men's 1970s Hairstyles: An Overview - Hair and Makeup Artist Handbook
That hairstyle page is pretty good. AFAIC, it only has one style that, in my book, is in error - the surfer look - otherwise its good. I was also there, in that time, and my high school senior photo was with long hair. That was just after the "Summer of Love" and just before Woodstock. So it was still pretty uncommon.

Odd as it might sound, I think we regarded single length long hair as a "girl" style. Even though many people regarded OUR long hair as a "girl" style. We didn't often have bangs, though, so much as the hair in front was just cut a bit shorter than the sides and back. And it was typically combed to the side, so you would get some coverage in front, but it wouldn't be in your eyes. To my mind, bangs are the hair cut in front so that they are NOT combed to one side or the other.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2017, 08:49 AM
 
Location: Brentwood, Tennessee
39,008 posts, read 37,656,456 times
Reputation: 73586
It sounds like you're describing the shag hairstyle, like David Cassidy wore. Bangs were a big part of that.

For women, bangs were a big thing in the 80s, and had died out of favor until recently. Hipster men are more apt to have facial hair and a center part (no bangs) if they have long hair these days.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2017, 09:40 AM
 
6,992 posts, read 6,629,325 times
Reputation: 5274
Bangs were pretty popular in the 60's and 70's but they were replaced by mullets in the 80's by men who liked to wear their bangs in the back.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2017, 12:53 PM
 
11,493 posts, read 5,547,302 times
Reputation: 5949
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
That hairstyle page is pretty good. AFAIC, it only has one style that, in my book, is in error - the surfer look - otherwise its good. I was also there, in that time, and my high school senior photo was with long hair. That was just after the "Summer of Love" and just before Woodstock. So it was still pretty uncommon.

Odd as it might sound, I think we regarded single length long hair as a "girl" style. Even though many people regarded OUR long hair as a "girl" style. We didn't often have bangs, though, so much as the hair in front was just cut a bit shorter than the sides and back. And it was typically combed to the side, so you would get some coverage in front, but it wouldn't be in your eyes. To my mind, bangs are the hair cut in front so that they are NOT combed to one side or the other.
I think it's still considered bangs even if you sweep them to the side.

I think the reason the layered hair for long haired men was popular wss because it kept hair out of your face to an extent, and ponytails might have been seen as too feminine at the time.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2017, 09:27 PM
 
Location: Middle America
35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times
Reputation: 48613
Side-swept bangs are still bangs, as any stylist will tell you.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2017, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Oak Ridge, NC
5,531 posts, read 3,791,158 times
Reputation: 3541
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I noticed that many, if not most, men with long hair in the 60s and 70s had layered styles. Gram Parsons is a good example of this.

But now I rarely see men with long hair wear bangs, they usually keep an even length (which I think looks better).

My wife has been wanting me to grow my hair out, and I've been patiently working through the awkward stage. That being said, there's no way she would let me do the long hair/bangs thing. She's envisioning something like this:



Now, back in the 80's, I wore the mullet. I loved it because it was an easy hair style even though it was a long hair style. Of course I always tried my best to look like this:



But really, I wound up looking more like this:



Complete with the mustache, LOL!!!

So, yeah, this is probably why you don't see guys wearing long hair and bangs.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top