Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 08:16 AM

14 posts, read 29,904 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone for the replies! My hair has gotten wavy in recent years, so I know what you mean with the weird flip.. it drives me crazy! haha which is why I thought of having it cut shorter to avoid that flip but that may not work out as imagined. I can't really have my hair trimmed more frequently than 8 weeks and I don't have the patience for blow drying with a round brush so that's what I mean when I say I need something more "low maintenance".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 02:54 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,439,701 times
Have you considered a pixie? Practically no work at all except frequent trims.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Have you considered a pixie? Practically no work at all except frequent trims.
Hey there, a pixie is too short for my taste. I don't mind the back being pretty short but I like to have some length in the front . I guess I'll have to learn to like the round brush and flatiron.

Old 03-21-2017, 04:01 PM

711 posts, read 688,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_1 View Post
Thanks for the tip, Next Stage.
What kind of style did you have?
Delayed but well timed reply.... I wear a pixie!

My hair is wavy too. And not an all over even wave but some serious ones here and there. This is pretty much the back of the cut I wear:

http://www.short-haircut.com/wp-cont...any-Layers.jpg

As I mentioned, I do shave my nape because my hair grows down my neck much further on my left than on my right. For my hair, I can just put a little gel in wet hair, scrunch it and it looks styled. It tends to pick up the good aspects of my waves.

I happen to wear mine shorter/choppy in the front simply because I like it that way. I've seen a lot of cuts though that are longer in the front. You might want to try a google search for "long pixie cut wavy hair" and see if anything appeals. I saw some really cute ones if I liked the feeling of hair around my face.

I don't mind spending time to style my hair when I need to. However, I like to have a cut that allows me to throw in a bit of gel or something, fluff with my fingers and I'm done. I don't even blow dry most days.

Old 03-21-2017, 06:51 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
It's very cute, but it depends on your hair's texture.

For me, that would be high maintenance because I would have to blow dry it with a round brush and probably flat iron too every single day, because my hair has weird waves and cowlicks, which are very stubborn.

If you have naturally straight, or even "limp" hair, it will be very easy to do, but if not you will have to style it every day. It's not a wash and go style unless you have the right hair for it, so it depends what you consider high maintenance.
Mine is thick and wavy, so it's only wash and go if I wear it with the waves. To get a sleek, turned under bob, yep, blow drying and ironing are necessary.

Old 03-21-2017, 06:52 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the replies! My hair has gotten wavy in recent years, so I know what you mean with the weird flip.. it drives me crazy! haha which is why I thought of having it cut shorter to avoid that flip but that may not work out as imagined. I can't really have my hair trimmed more frequently than 8 weeks and I don't have the patience for blow drying with a round brush so that's what I mean when I say I need something more "low maintenance".
Depends on where the flip naturally hits. Mine is at my nape/jawline.

If I grow it to shoulder-length or longer, though, the weight of it pulls that natural wave flat. My natural texture isn't ideal for short cuts.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:39 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
Hey guys,

I currently have a bob similar to this one https://www.pinterest.com/pin/568227677971069328/
I like it, but I'd like to go shorter- I don't spend a lot of time on my hair which is why I'm hesitant to get a really short bob though. I like the idea of not having hair on my neck but I cannot do a high maintenance style.

Any word of advice for a low maintenance short bob? I'd like the back to be pretty short, the front can be jaw length. Can you have a short bob in the back without having to shave the nape? I am guessing if I shave it, that means super frequent haircuts which I have no time for.

Any ideas are appreciated
I have thick, curly hair and an undercut works well for me. I get it cut shorter than in your picture, just below my ears. I do not like the shorter-in-back styles, so mine is even all the way around. I get it cut every three months and in three months it's between my chin and my shoulders and getting harder to manage.

I DO have to use a flatiron every day, but once you get used to it that only takes a couple of minutes, especially with shorter hair.

I normally shower and let my hair dry by itself, but if I have to be somewhere I blow dry it and it just takes 5 minutes or so.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I have thick, curly hair and an undercut works well for me. I get it cut shorter than in your picture, just below my ears. I do not like the shorter-in-back styles, so mine is even all the way around. I get it cut every three months and in three months it's between my chin and my shoulders and getting harder to manage.

I DO have to use a flatiron every day, but once you get used to it that only takes a couple of minutes, especially with shorter hair.

I normally shower and let my hair dry by itself, but if I have to be somewhere I blow dry it and it just takes 5 minutes or so.
When you say undercut do you mean the bottom is shaved or is it just shorter than the rest of the hair? I'm thinking I'll stick with my current style, just shorter, so probably something similar to what you are describing. I just don't know how much shorter it can be in the back before it goes above the natural hairline, you know what I mean?

Old 03-21-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextStage View Post
Delayed but well timed reply.... I wear a pixie!

My hair is wavy too. And not an all over even wave but some serious ones here and there. This is pretty much the back of the cut I wear:

http://www.short-haircut.com/wp-cont...any-Layers.jpg

As I mentioned, I do shave my nape because my hair grows down my neck much further on my left than on my right. For my hair, I can just put a little gel in wet hair, scrunch it and it looks styled. It tends to pick up the good aspects of my waves.

I happen to wear mine shorter/choppy in the front simply because I like it that way. I've seen a lot of cuts though that are longer in the front. You might want to try a google search for "long pixie cut wavy hair" and see if anything appeals. I saw some really cute ones if I liked the feeling of hair around my face.

I don't mind spending time to style my hair when I need to. However, I like to have a cut that allows me to throw in a bit of gel or something, fluff with my fingers and I'm done. I don't even blow dry most days.
Your pixie looks super cute!! I think for me it would be too drastic of a change though since I've always had super long hair- it's only recently that I got the chin length bob (which I love by the way, minus the flip lol )
It's actually funny, when I told my husband I was thinking about getting a short haircut he showed me a picture of Robin Wright and said I could get something like it: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/485192559835985273/
But again, that's way too adventurous for me. Maybe in a few months

Old 03-21-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighkc View Post
I have a short bob that is cut high in back and angled to chin length. I go for cut every 4 weeks. Stylist does shave my nape of neck but haircut is still passable by time next cut comes around. It's easy for me. I blow dry from top down to encourage smoothness and then use flat iron to smooth down sections and lightly tuck under ends. I am never going back to long hair!
Do you have a picture of your haircut? I am also loving the short hair even though it's more high maintenance than my previously long hair..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care