Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2017, 07:37 PM

473 posts, read 501,874 times

Advertisements

I've tried ALL the store brands and types of hair color. I have straight hair I wear short and is lightish brown. NONE of the cheap stuff will color my hair. I even tested bleach on my hair I saved after a cut and itwould not change color after 30 minutes.

My father is 1/4 Cherokee and his stayed black until mid-40s. I'm at 42 years old now and no grey yet either.

I can go to the hairdresser and pay $80, SIT UNDER THE DRYER and hair will change color for highlights.

Can anyone else relate? How do you handle it?

My budget is just too bad to afford the coloring at the hairdresser. What advice can you share to make things cheaper...My natural color is really washed out brown and I no longer wear makeup so I think leaving this natural look is keeping me from being hired for front-facing employment. No one here likes the 'Earth Mother look'. I want other ideas before I use a purple hair wash daily, wear a spike do and pierce my nose to work around here more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 12:26 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,454,143 times
LOL, I like the spike idea.

Well, what do you want, highlights?

After you put the bleach on put a shower cap over it. That will radiate heat from your scalp. Do you have a beauty supply chain near your home? If so buy some bleach and get a 40 volume developer. Mix half developer and half bleach. Use a brush for streaking a few highlights then put your hair in the cap for 30 min. Check it and make sure it's not getting to light. If you want to keep it from getting on your other hair get some foil and just take a bit for the streak and wrap it in foil. Timing is the same. Still put the cap over the foil when your done.

If you don't have a supply chain you can order it online.

If your color is to orange do it again. Also, buy a toner in an ash blonde tone. That should get rid of any red. You can use that after you bleach it.

Stores only use 20 developer for the most part. Not strong enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nEjM9b46lI

If you don't want to use foil do this, but unlike her put the shower cap on after while you wait the 30 min.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J72d2gmVDKA

Old 04-08-2017, 05:38 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,946,747 times
What color are you looking for? I henna myself, so I go from natural blonde roots to auburn every 4-6 weeks.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:11 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,720,754 times
Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattalk1 View Post
I've tried ALL the store brands and types of hair color. I have straight hair I wear short and is lightish brown. NONE of the cheap stuff will color my hair. I even tested bleach on my hair I saved after a cut and itwould not change color after 30 minutes.

My father is 1/4 Cherokee and his stayed black until mid-40s. I'm at 42 years old now and no grey yet either.

I can go to the hairdresser and pay $80, SIT UNDER THE DRYER and hair will change color for highlights.

Can anyone else relate? How do you handle it?

My budget is just too bad to afford the coloring at the hairdresser. What advice can you share to make things cheaper...My natural color is really washed out brown and I no longer wear makeup so I think leaving this natural look is keeping me from being hired for front-facing employment. No one here likes the 'Earth Mother look'. I want other ideas before I use a purple hair wash daily, wear a spike do and pierce my nose to work around here more.
I have long dark curly hair and have been dying my hair all sorts of colours and bleaching ( not so much now) for over 20 years and never run in to that problem. I have used quality ranging from dollar store to salon grade and all worked.

Make sure that your hair is dry, clean and product free ex not gel, mouse etc in it when you dye it. Also remember to check the side to ensure your colour intensity expectations match the products expected outcomes usually shown on the side. Some times your need to bleach your hair and then colour it later to get the desired colour intensity you want. What colour are you trying to get? Do a youtube search and your might find a video that shows step by step process tips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care