Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 03:39 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times

Advertisements

Yes, 80s for sure! I look back at the photos and really wonder what some people were thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 04:19 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,137,616 times
Worst might have been sometime in the late 1770s, when elaborate hairstyles, including wigs, sometimes had mice in them.

Old 05-24-2017, 12:17 PM

19,603 posts, read 12,203,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Thankfully my hair is too thick and too wavy to have ever been able to pull off that flat, straight hair with the part down the middle look. And I never missed it either, even though it was THE LOOK when I was in jr high and high school (yes, dating myself here). I remember looking at girls with that plain jane look and thinking, "I may not be cool but I'm also not boring."

I don't like the completely flat, straight look on many people, though it can be striking on the right person. PUT DOWN THE FLAT IRON AND BACK AWAY SLOWLY!

I'll tell you a fairly current look that I absolutely detest - the unparted look. That look where the hair just has a jaggedy non part - I swear, it looks like a person just got up out of bed in the morning, dragged their fingers through their hair, and wandered aimlessly out the door. Though I admit - it blends well with the Pjs and slippers WalMart look nicely enough.
That flat look is still going strong, it is flattering to few and often looks greasy on top even if it isn't. And also the thin straggly look, with straight hair tapered into strings. Choppy with no shape. Messy bun, that one gets top billing at Walmart.

I like fuller, more shaped styles which isn't in vogue now, so this isn't my favorite decade.

Old 05-27-2017, 05:21 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
The 1970's. All the feathered hair and seemingly a lack of conditioner with all the frizz. Men's hair in the 70's was equally as awful.

Women's 1970s Hairstyles: An Overview - Hair and Makeup Artist Handbook
Funny when I was young I didn't have the frizz that I have today. I loved the Farah feathered look. I always thought it was a soft look for women and flattering on many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post

I also used to put about 100 little braids in my hair at night so it would be "kinky."
Ha, ha...I did that one time for fun. That was enough, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
That flat look is still going strong, it is flattering to few and often looks greasy on top even if it isn't. And also the thin straggly look, with straight hair tapered into strings. Choppy with no shape. Messy bun, that one gets top billing at Walmart.

I like fuller, more shaped styles which isn't in vogue now, so this isn't my favorite decade.

I hate the flat look. Very few people can get away with it. A flat iron can help with the frizz but I still want body in my hair. I also don't like the duck butt look which is what a lot of women have where I live have.

The 60's bouffant was awful. Talk about untouchable.

Old 05-27-2017, 07:10 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,940,539 times
I was a very young hairdresser in the early 70s. Most of the clientele were older woman who sported 60s's hair styles. Brushing out a weeks worth of hairspray and teasing that hadn't been washed since their last visit was absolutely disgusting. It was like a rat's nest, with flakes of who knows what flying all over me. Ugh.

Many women would just wrap toilet paper around their hairdos when sleeping, then spray again in the morning. By the time they came in for their appointment, their hair would be as hard as a helmet.

The absolute worst hairstyle period EVER.

Old 05-27-2017, 07:28 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,318,110 times
1960s
The 80s were great.

Old 05-27-2017, 08:27 AM

2,889 posts, read 2,137,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I was a very young hairdresser in the early 70s. Most of the clientele were older woman who sported 60s's hair styles. Brushing out a weeks worth of hairspray and teasing that hadn't been washed since their last visit was absolutely disgusting. It was like a rat's nest, with flakes of who knows what flying all over me. Ugh.

Many women would just wrap toilet paper around their hairdos when sleeping, then spray again in the morning. By the time they came in for their appointment, their hair would be as hard as a helmet.

The absolute worst hairstyle period EVER.
so, you knew my mom??

Old 05-27-2017, 08:37 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,989,829 times
I'm going to say right now is the worst decade. Women choosing to glue or sew in weaves are ending up with traction alopecia. It's a problem that was in the Black community but thanks to The Kardashians, women of all races are causing damage to their hair!

https://www.popsugar.com/beauty/Trac...eaves-41510771

Old 06-01-2017, 02:57 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
I think it was the eighties. All that ratted hair. And the big round earrings that went with the ratted hair.

I don't like the poodle haircuts that were common in the early 1950s, but I think the eighties hairstyles were extreme and awful.

Old 06-01-2017, 03:17 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,537,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Brushing out a weeks worth of hairspray and teasing that hadn't been washed since their last visit was absolutely disgusting. It was like a rat's nest, with flakes of who knows what flying all over me. Ugh.

I had my own personal experience with this.

I got a tall beehive hairdo done in college in the early 90's. Teased and ratted, and coated in hair spray. It looked awesome.

I wore it for about a week. Each morning I would get up, push it back into shape, and spray it with another coat of hairspray.

But at the end of the week, there was no way I could get it out - so I had to go back to the salon and it took her a couple of hours to get my hair back to normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care