Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 03:40 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times

Advertisements

Well, I looked at the three articles linked above and I thought the women pictured looked fine, normal, and adequately professional. It appears several of the stories were from the UK - I wonder if this problem is worse there, or is that just happenstance?

I think the news reader who responded to a viewer complaining about her hair was eloquent. Also, I thought she looked very nice and also professional in the picture.

I worked as a hiring manager of engineers for 25 years. I have also interacted with customers and suppliers for my whole career. At this point in history, I would not think a Black woman with neatly made braids, a neat natural hairstyle, dreadlocks coiled up in a bun, natural hair gathered up on top of the head, etc., dressed in an appropriate business like way, was "unprofessional" looking, either as a job applicant, or as an employee with contact with our customers (we are not in retail) or as a vendor.

I thought the comments about the lady who went to work dressed in dashikis, etc., were insulting. I bet she looked great in that attire. I would much rather have her, dressed in African-style clothing, meet customers than someone wearing a dress cut down to there and a skirt cut up to here and wobbling around on 6" heels. How the he!! can someone wearing African-style clothing "intimidate" their co-workers? The co-workers must be awfully easy to intimidate.

Who are these people, anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 03:41 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,369,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Why would other black people criticize natural (untreated) hair?

I would guess it is directly tied to survival in racist society - if that is the case, my curiosity about it is whether or not the people criticizing are aware of the reasons for their criticism (or is it unconscious)?
Because they be part of a generation or sub-culture, or influenced by identity politics, that says natural hair is unprofessional, draws unnecessary attention (counterculture), or looks unkept, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I am shocked to read on this thread that there are some schools that ban black people from wearing braids. How is this possible? On what grounds? Why would people accept that?
Single braids, twists and cornrows are go-to styles for many Black and biracial kids. We've not dealt with bans in our area, but it's unlikely to be an issue in my area of NorCal.

War on Black Hair: Wearing Braids Gets Black Girls Banned From Prom at Malden Charter School in Massachusetts

South African Girls' School Repeals Hair Policy After Accusations Of Racism : Goats and Soda : NPR

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...afros/2874895/

Kentucky High School Lifts Ban on Natural Black Hairstyles

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...s-after-furore

School's retreat over Afro braids ban hailed as 'victory for all black and ethnic minority students' | The Independent

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/01/o...the-rules.html

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...yles-For-Girls

For Black Women, It's Never As Simple As 'It's Just Hair' | WGBH News

Old 07-20-2017, 03:47 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,609,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
If the entire world, including our own BLACK MEN, didn't constantly refer to our natural hair as "nappy", inappropriate, and unprofessional, there wouldn't be a need for relaxers and extensions. If our hair is natural, we won't get called back after an interview and if we get the job, we may be told that our natural hair is "unprofessional". Unless you're a black woman with natural hair that isn't like mixed people's hair, you won't understand so don't even try.
True.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:27 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Because they be part of a generation or sub-culture, or influenced by identity politics, that says natural hair is unprofessional, draws unnecessary attention (counterculture), or looks unkept, etc.

Single braids, twists and cornrows are go-to styles for many Black and biracial kids. We've not dealt with bans in our area, but it's unlikely to be an issue in my area of NorCal.

War on Black Hair: Wearing Braids Gets Black Girls Banned From Prom at Malden Charter School in Massachusetts

South African Girls' School Repeals Hair Policy After Accusations Of Racism : Goats and Soda : NPR

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...afros/2874895/

Kentucky High School Lifts Ban on Natural Black Hairstyles

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...s-after-furore

School's retreat over Afro braids ban hailed as 'victory for all black and ethnic minority students' | The Independent

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/01/o...the-rules.html

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...yles-For-Girls

For Black Women, It's Never As Simple As 'It's Just Hair' | WGBH News
So much good information here! Thank you for sharing.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:57 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Well to circle back to my original post, I just want to say I like and approve of natural beauty, no matter what nationality a woman is.
I am not responsible for anyone else's hangups. I just don't want to see anyone saddling children with a bunch of heavy fake hair, or beads hanging in their faces.

Old 07-20-2017, 06:03 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,609,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Well to circle back to my original post, I just want to say I like and approve of natural beauty, no matter what nationality a woman is.
I am not responsible for anyone else's hangups. I just don't want to see anyone saddling children with a bunch of heavy fake hair, or beads hanging in their faces.
I understand what you're saying. I never wore fake hair as a kid but I did get a relaxer when I was 10 and I relaxed my hair for over 20 years. I no longer chemically relax my hair, but I still straighten with heat which also isn't great for it.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:47 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I understand what you're saying. I never wore fake hair as a kid but I did get a relaxer when I was 10 and I relaxed my hair for over 20 years. I no longer chemically relax my hair, but I still straighten with heat which also isn't great for it.
It's like a science, isn't it?

Old 07-28-2017, 01:44 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Hm.

I've always been a little envious on how black ladies change their looks up all the time.

Old 07-29-2017, 03:34 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
I love braided real hair. I imagine that unstraightened AA hair would be a pain to take care of unless a person either let it go wild, or braided it. Anyway, if I were black, I'd have glorious big hair like Tracee Ellis Ross, but only real. If I had a little girl, I'd want her to have hair that was as carefree as possible.
Not many people have hair like Tracee Ellis Ross. I recently stopped relaxing ans have been wearing my natural hair. Our natural hair is pretty fragile. And it shrinks a lot. My hair looks like a short crop, but it is chin length right now, I cut a few inches of straight hair off when I made the "big chop."

Additionally, it is not always excepted to wear your real hair. Employers are allowed to ban dreadlocks, which are a low maintenance natural option. Some people do not think natural texture hair is professional. Girls have been kicked out of school or suspended because of having afros or cornrows or braids. Lots of politics with black women's hair.

Old 07-29-2017, 03:49 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
I had extensions in my braids as a kid. It was no big deal. The most annoyjng part was spending a few hours every few weeks sitting still while mom did it. But it was way better being able to go to the pool and beach easily having to get my hair pressed often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care