U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 11:57 AM

382 posts, read 1,335,278 times
Default Laser hair removal that didn't work :(

has anyone here had laser hair removal, but it didn't permanently get rid of the hair? i had it done on my upper lip about 2 years ago and i still have darker hairs growing back in. it's so frusturating because when i bought the treatment package i thought this was going to be a permanent solution. when i went back for a touch-up treatment, i was told i had to pay for touch-ups now.

i just wanted to see if this is common. and what was the touch-up and guarantee policy of the company you went to. i had mine done at Ideal Image which is a smaller chain. the service was good when i was having it done, but i hate that its not 100% gone and that i have to pay more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 12:10 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 6,655,060 times
Huh, what a bummer.....
I understand your frustration, since laser hair removal (amongst other things) are "supposed" to be a permanent solution, and rather costly.
Did it come with a guarantee (time frame of valid guarantee) of some sort?
What did the paper's (you had to sign to have the procedure done) state?
Any exclaim of some sort in the consent papers you had signed?
I am at a loss here, since I've never had it actually done myself.
I was under the impression, that the work comes with some sort of guarantee, and laser hair removal would be a permanent solution.
There's got to be members on here, which had it done also....and can give some valid advice on how to proceed, and what to do.....
Good luck to you!

Old 03-17-2008, 12:15 PM

170 posts, read 647,761 times
I had my underarms, legs and bikini line done over between 4 and 2 years ago (started with the underarms and then moved on so my time line is a little stretched) and nothing has grown back.

But can I ask...at any time during the treatment did you pluck or wax hairs? Just to tidy up between sessions? Because if you did and the regrowth cycle hadn't started there would have been nothing for the laser to seek out. Also I know that with my treatment over the course of the sessions the tech did increase the strength (I don't know the technical term for it but she increased the intensity). Now I can handle a lot of pain so it wasn't a difficulty for me but I had been told that some people couldn't handle the treatments and would squirm and cry and try to slap the tech away. Seriously, slap the tech away. It must have been a self-preservation mode.

Did they increase anything for you? Were you very sensitive to the treatment?

Old 03-17-2008, 01:21 PM

They increased the strength a lot towards the end! Ouch ... it really did hurt towards the end. I've had some dental work done and the pain would just shoot through my mouth (i had upper lip treatment). Also, I was only 'supposed' to have 8 treatments originally, but they had to extend that to 9 b/c I was still seeing a little growth. It was a very small amount of regrowth back then but it's gotten worse since then. It's nowhere near as bad as it was before I started treatments though.
I was explained that the finer the hair (upper lip is very very fine) the more difficult.

I don't want my money back necessarily, I just would hope that they would let me do touch ups (or continue my treatment plan) without charging me even more.

And no I didn't wax or pluck between plans. I was very good about that.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:53 PM

170 posts, read 647,761 times
I know that for my underarms I had to have a couple of extra treatments. It is hard to predict how you will react to the sessions and the recommended package is for the average.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:58 PM

9,709 posts, read 13,227,262 times
I have heard that coarser/thicker hair responds better to the laser hair removal treatments than fine hair. Any truth to that?

Old 03-17-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I have heard that coarser/thicker hair responds better to the laser hair removal treatments than fine hair. Any truth to that?
That's what I was told.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:42 PM

2,393 posts, read 6,655,308 times
My friend had some removal done, and she's had some re-growth. Just because you've gotten rid of some of the hair doesn't mean more won't begin to grow! It's not a 1-shot deal, in most cases!

Old 03-18-2008, 05:02 AM

4,772 posts, read 7,543,191 times
I've been wanting to get my bikini area done, this is making me rethink that. It's a lot of money to spend if it isn't even permanent.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:44 AM

3,487 posts, read 4,983,859 times
I have had my bikini done with very good results. I would say 99% reduction on the front and about 70% reduction 'underneath'.
: )

I've also had my underarms done. Nightmare. I paid for 6 sessions, they comped me for another 4 sessions, so I've had a total of 10 and as soon as I stop going for treatment for more than a couple of months, it grows back.

I go to Completely Bare on Fith Avenue in Manhattan.

My friend also goes. She has had bikini, thigh and butt done. She has had very bad results. She's probably at a 30% reduction on bikini - gave up altogether on the 'underneath' and butt. Had had maybe 70% reduction on the thigh.

Both of us are dark haired, so it's not that the hair is blonde and fine.

I'm debating whether to call and complain about the underarm AGAIN, but we've moved now so even getting to them for treatment will be a huge pain. I feel like giving up on it, but it's a lot of money to not see the hoped for result. : (

My friend is very disillusioned with it too and she's spent even more money than I have. I am happy with the front of the bikini, but not with the underneath or the underarm.

I probably wouldn't do it again, because you have no way of knowing if it's going to work for you. Every person reacts differently. It's frustrating and it sucks to have to start shaving or waxing an area that you have paid a lot of money to not have to deal with anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care