Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 12:14 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BereniceUK View Post
I stopped using shampoo towards the end of January this year, because I had a foot injury and was struggling to wash my hair in the shower while keeping one leg out of the shower. So glad I did, very pleased with how it's looking. People I've mentioned this to are amazed by how nice my hair looks. I rinse my hair every three days or so in warm water (once I return to work, it's possible that I'll have to rinse it a little more often; however, since I work in a hospital, in a fairly sterile atmosphere, I doubt that it'll need to be rinsed more frequently), and I use conditioner something like three times in every two weeks.

Everyone's hair is different. What works for one person isn't going to work for everyone else.

No, hair doesn't automatically smell when it's not washed with shampoo. What makes your hair smell can be the environment a person is in - I've noticed that the hair of people who cook and eat a lot of potato chips/fries ends up smelling of chips (ditto for any strong-smelling foods). Also, those who work in takeaways can end up with smelly hair unless they thoroughly wash their hair every day, and cigarette smokers, and those who mix with smokers, can have hair that smells of stale tobacco. Years ago, after an evening in the pub, I would wake the next morning to find that my pillow slip smelt of stale tobacco, and I'm a non-smoker.
Absolutely. The volatile oils of cooking onion and shallots just stick to me. And permeate the house. When ever I have to use onion, which is rare for me, as hubby doesn’t like it and it doesn’t agree with me in large amounts( but some dishes just have to have a small amount of onion), the shower after is very oniony smelling and even requires fresh bath linens. I clean the kitchen first though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 07:44 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
I was in the hospital for 11 days in the fall with a serious illness and couldn't even get out of bed except to use the commode near the bed. By the time I was finally released my hair was a greasy, disgusting mess and there's no way that it would have come clean with just water, no matter how hot the water. Now my scalp is not very oily like it was when I was younger and I normally shampoo every other day because I use a lot of product. I use a gentle shampoo without the salts and my hair never looks dry.

My mother's friend is staying with her and she hasn't had a bath or shower in weeks. My mother mentioned her friend's hair actually smelled.

Old 07-10-2018, 03:52 PM

297 posts, read 166,876 times
A friend a few years ago decided to forego shampoo altogether and was using egg yolks in his hair. He did this for about 2-3 months. I never really touched his hair and he was never what I'd call "museum quality" human but this made him look even worse. And of course the rest of us just watched from afar... until he realized wtf he was doing and went back to shampoos. Again, he didn't become "museum quality" but he looked AND smelled normal afterwards.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:30 AM

6 posts, read 3,828 times
This will only be possible, if possible, to men's hair. Long hairs will never support the scenario.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:20 PM

859 posts, read 705,742 times
-The picture in your thread shows your hair after or before shampoo? I don't get what you mean.
-I understood that you do this approach because shampoo makes your hair dry and puffy, right?
-What type of shampoo did you use before?

Old 07-28-2018, 08:02 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
No offense, OP, but your hair does look just a tad oily to me.

I just don't see how, without using any kind of cleanser, that your hair can be clean. Do you wash your clothes in just water? Do you wash your dishes in just water? Probably not.
That is what I thought!

Maybe wash it once a week?

Old 08-18-2018, 04:31 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,137,939 times
My hair gets great way too fast to do this. A long time ago I saw a video on YouTube about no poo, which basically means giving up shampoo but it just didn’t work for me lol. And no I don’t really touch my hair I just have oily skin and fore head haha. Do mine gets greasy quick. I just don’t think this works for every body.

Old 08-23-2018, 09:35 PM

9,732 posts, read 4,062,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterWright View Post
Shampoo always left my hair dry and puffy. This requires more products on top of more products. I started to only wash my beard with water and it has been over one year since my beard has had any products. I experimented with my hair. The first week was greasy however after the 2nd week my hair sort of adapted. Nobody feels my hair and says it is oily or that it smells. The hair is very soft and managable. It gets thouroughly rinsed with hot water daily only for over 2 months now and zero products. Here are a couple of pics. I’m growing out my hair to shoulder height by the way, I have not cut it in 4 months.

Thoughts on this hippie approach?

Nope, sorry. I like nice smelling shampoos and conditioners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care