Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2018, 06:24 PM

22,311 posts, read 11,823,592 times

Advertisements

I've been going to the same hairstylist for over 30 years. That said, I have no complaints with her as I have gotten compliments on my haircuts and even been asked who cuts my hair.

During those years, she has changed her work location 4 times. That didn't bother me as she stayed in the same large shopping mall.

Recently, I called to make an appointment with her. The person answering the phone made the appointment. Then, as usual, the day before the appointment, the salon called to confirm the appointment. However, this time they added that they had moved. They are no longer in the mall but have moved to an area where traffic and parking are horrible. My trip to the mall, in recent years, had gotten easier due to a subway station opening there. I ended up canceling my appointment as I'm now mulling over what my next step should be.

What bothered me is that my hairstylist never called me to tell me of the move, as she had done on previous occasions. No one mentioned it when I made the appointment. If the person confirming the appointment hadn't said something, I would have gone to the mall.

My stylist is a few years older than I. She has said she isn't interested in retiring because she would have nothing to do. She also told me that she would never leave the mall because she worried that her clients wouldn't follow her to her new location.

Well...obviously, I'm getting older, too. I now live in a walkable area and there are some salons very nearby. Right now, I'm seriously thinking of finding a new stylist.

The problem is ... my hair isn't easy to cut. In the past, I've had stylists take a look at my hair with a look of horror on their faces. My hair is thick, coarse, frizzy and wavy. When I was younger, I was naive enough to believe that stylists learn to deal with all kinds of hair---not true. Looking back, as a kid, I got horrible haircuts. Old photos tell the story...

So...how to find a stylist who isn't afraid to cut my hair? One piece of advice I learned was to find someone with similar hair who has a good haircut and ask her who her stylist is. The problem with that---lately I've not come across anyone like that. It was sheer luck when I found my hairstylist. I had called a salon for an appointment and they gave me to her. Years later, she admitted to me that the first time she cut my hair, she was scared.

Should I go into a salon and ask if there is someone who isn't afraid to cut hair like mine?

If I do find another good stylist, should I call my old stylist and let her know?

Thanks for reading this---and thank you for your responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 09:29 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,102,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I've been going to the same hairstylist for over 30 years. That said, I have no complaints with her as I have gotten compliments on my haircuts and even been asked who cuts my hair.

During those years, she has changed her work location 4 times. That didn't bother me as she stayed in the same large shopping mall.

Recently, I called to make an appointment with her. The person answering the phone made the appointment. Then, as usual, the day before the appointment, the salon called to confirm the appointment. However, this time they added that they had moved. They are no longer in the mall but have moved to an area where traffic and parking are horrible. My trip to the mall, in recent years, had gotten easier due to a subway station opening there. I ended up canceling my appointment as I'm now mulling over what my next step should be.

What bothered me is that my hairstylist never called me to tell me of the move, as she had done on previous occasions. No one mentioned it when I made the appointment. If the person confirming the appointment hadn't said something, I would have gone to the mall.

My stylist is a few years older than I. She has said she isn't interested in retiring because she would have nothing to do. She also told me that she would never leave the mall because she worried that her clients wouldn't follow her to her new location.

Well...obviously, I'm getting older, too. I now live in a walkable area and there are some salons very nearby. Right now, I'm seriously thinking of finding a new stylist.

The problem is ... my hair isn't easy to cut. In the past, I've had stylists take a look at my hair with a look of horror on their faces. My hair is thick, coarse, frizzy and wavy. When I was younger, I was naive enough to believe that stylists learn to deal with all kinds of hair---not true. Looking back, as a kid, I got horrible haircuts. Old photos tell the story...

So...how to find a stylist who isn't afraid to cut my hair? One piece of advice I learned was to find someone with similar hair who has a good haircut and ask her who her stylist is. The problem with that---lately I've not come across anyone like that. It was sheer luck when I found my hairstylist. I had called a salon for an appointment and they gave me to her. Years later, she admitted to me that the first time she cut my hair, she was scared.

Should I go into a salon and ask if there is someone who isn't afraid to cut hair like mine?

If I do find another good stylist, should I call my old stylist and let her know?

Thanks for reading this---and thank you for your responses!
First of all, your stylist should have told you about the move. The fact that she didn’t, makes her seem like she dosen’t want your business.

Whenever I need a new service, I always go to Yelp and read the reviews. You can put in top ten stylists in your area and see who comes up. Or do you have friends with hair similar to yours? Make an appointment just for a trim, it’s what I do while getting a feel for the stylist and seeing if we’re on the same page. You can always go back for major stuff later.

When you find someone, it’s up to you if you want to call your old stylist and tell her, but she didn’t seem all that enthusiastic about keeping your business. Anyway, good luck with finding him or her. I found who I thought was a great stylist, first time she did my hair it looked great. Second time, not so much. I’m growing out this cut and will probably look elsewhere.

Old 08-04-2018, 09:54 PM

22,311 posts, read 11,823,592 times
Thank you, Taz22. I had looked on Yelp. There's a salon close to where I live---I could even easily walk there. So, I looked at their reviews. Several reviewers liked one particular stylist but there were a couple of dissenters. I wish that some of the reviewers mentioned what their hair is like as it would have been helpful info.

I was thinking, as you suggested, to ask the new stylist for just a trim to see how that comes out. If I like how it turned out, I would go back again.

My husband also says that I don't need to call my old stylist once I find someone else.

I hope that you, too, find the right stylist for yourself!

Old 08-04-2018, 10:19 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,102,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Thank you, Taz22. I had looked on Yelp. There's a salon close to where I live---I could even easily walk there. So, I looked at their reviews. Several reviewers liked one particular stylist but there were a couple of dissenters. I wish that some of the reviewers mentioned what their hair is like as it would have been helpful info.

I was thinking, as you suggested, to ask the new stylist for just a trim to see how that comes out. If I like how it turned out, I would go back again.

My husband also says that I don't need to call my old stylist once I find someone else.

I hope that you, too, find the right stylist for yourself!
There are usually a couple of dissenters with everything. That stylist you mention sounds like she is worth a visit. Yes, definitely just do a trim the first time, hair grows back, but it can take awhile.

I agree with your husband on not calling your old stylist. Hope we both find someone talented!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care