U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 04:42 PM

12,411 posts, read 9,035,149 times
Default Frost, Bleach, Dye Your Own Hair Instructions

I have found out how to frost my own hair and will appreciate criticism. I have been doing it for years.
You can put nice streaks in your hair, too.
Without the cap, you can use this to bleach your hair.
If you are not making your hair a lighter shade, you can do just the steps concerning dye and forget the cap and bleach steps.

I got tired, years back, of getting a run around from some people who were doing my hair. I do not like being dependent on people if I can help it. So I now cut and frost my own head.

You can too. Hair grows back. A renewable resource. Once you learn, you will never feel vulnerable or be victimized again when you sit in that chair in your favorite salon.

Beauty Supply stores(not Harmons), most, can supply these things. You can call ahead to make sure:

Once you get the cap, the rest is probably under $10 and can be used for several applications.

Magi cap Elite hair frosting cap.

Application bottle (one if you are using a bowl, 2 if not) You can cut the end off these for a thicker application.

2 Plastic bags(veggie bags from grocers will do) that loosely fit over head and
a clip/clamp to clip bag

I don't know if it came with the crochet hook that you pull the hair through the holes with, but you will need one of those.

I also have a small plastic cup which is the cut off bottom of a bottle.

The cup is a little larger than the applicator brush, with a long pointy end and
a flat brush on the other. My brush is narrower than most.

You can make the solution more or less runny by adding more powdered activator (1) or developer (2).

If you prefer using an applicator bottle, just add a bit more developer, and avoid buying the brush and cup. No metal should touch the solution, even your eyeglasses, while waiting for it to process. Mix it with a Popsicle stick or chop stick or something plastic, like the back of the brush. Shake the bottle, naturally.

You can certainly purchase other brands, which may be better. I just am used to Clairol.

(1) Clairol Professional Lightening Activators for 7th Stage, Instant Whip Ultra Blue, Born Blond. (this is powdered ammonia, especially for hair)

(2) Clairol Professional 7th Stage Crme Hair Lightener (this, too is some sort of ammonia for hair).

(3) 40 Volume Creme Developer (a peroxide for hair, comes in various strengths, '20' '30' '40' - I am told, up to 60, but I've never seen that. Higher numbers are stronger)

(4) Clairol Professional, Miss Clairol Conditioning Color - I use something level 8 and up for mixing with the peroxide after bleaching and adding a color to the hair. This will tend to mitigate remaining brassiness and add a bit of color to the hair. Called a 'toner' by some people. (the higher numbers are for more lightly bleached hair, they are 'blonder' - the toner also adds shine. This is the same thing as hair dye, but the lighter ones have less, more subtle, pigments and more ammonia). If you just wanted to dye your hair, not wanting to go much lighter than your natural shade, you would choose a color with a lower number - ask to see the color chart - and add the same proportion of peroxide/developer as given here.

Pull hair through holes in cap with crochet hook. I find it best to pull very few hairs through many holes which lighten the entire head. You needn't use all the holes, maybe every third or forth. More in the front and sides. Experiment. This is the hardest part, time consuming and boring. But worth it because you are saving money and do not have to do touch ups.

I have short fine, hair, so mix very little of this solution.
Work fairly quickly for once you mix the solution, the chemical change is
going on. You want that to happen on your head, not in the bowl.

I mix in bowl or bottle
1/2 of (1) the activator packet
1 oz of (3) developer
1/4 bottle of (2) creme lightener

The bottles also have instructions on them.

Smear solution on hair either with the bush or applicator bottle. Do not push into holes of the cap, but try to be sure all hairs are thoroughly saturated. This is important because if you have hairs that are just damp, that area will turn brassy red or orange.

Put loose plastic bag over the entire thing, clamping it in such a way as to avoid the metal being in contact with the solution. The bag ensures that the solution will remain wet and the heat from your scalp will be more concentrated, enhancing the chemical reaction. Wait an hour.

Leave the frosting cap on, rinse and lightly shampoo frosted bits. Thoroughly dry hair.

In clean application bottle mix:

1/4 bottle of (4)Conditioning Color - this is about 1/2 oz
1 oz of (3)developer - I use twice as much developer as color.

Bag the head again, with a clean bag, as before

I leave that on for an hour.

Then, rinse, gently take cap off.
Shampoo with color safe conditioning shampoo.

People may have variations of this, if the hair is too dark or pre-treated you
may run into problems. If the hair is damaged with frizzy ends or permed or straightened or had too much heat treatment, you could have trouble.

If your hair is thick or long, you might need more solution to be mixed.

But for my hair, light to mid-brown mousy, short, and fine - this works perfectly. I have found nothing that will effectively cover grey for longer than a very short time. If I add color to my hair I shorly have 3 toned hair - regular color, roots and grey. So lightening all over lets me avoid the root problem and the blond sort of blends with the grey.
This also gives a lot of body to my limp hair. I leave the solutions on for a longer time than most people. As time drags on the chemical reaction will slow down and stop, so leaving it on for over an hour is counter-productive.

This is something I pieced together over the years that works for me. Maybe it will help others, too.

I welcome creative and expert suggestions. We are all here to help each other, no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 05:10 PM

9,342 posts, read 15,993,414 times
So you highlight and then color?

Old 04-06-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
So you highlight and then color?
I lighten the hair by mixing the special peroxide with the special liquid amonia.
After you wait you wash it out, thorougly dry hair. This removes your natural pigment.

Leave cap on unless you are bleaching whole head (then you would have a future root regrowth to contend with).

Yes. Then you mix what amounts to a hair dye (higher levels are for pre-lightened hair and some call these 'toners') with double the amount of the special peroxide and wait again. This puts pigment into the hair and also lightens it a bit more.

To intensify or speed the process, some people actually heat the head with the plastic bag on the head so the hair does not dry out. Heat speeds chemical reactions.

If your hair is too dry it may not hold a dye. Hair can be dryed by swimming, sun, perms straightening, etc.

It is easier to keep in good condition, naturally, if you keep it shorter - at least trim dead and split ends off of it.
If your hair is dark it may have to be through the lightening process several times, which is where it can get tricky because it will weaken your hair and if you do this enough maybe you should consider a wig.

My hair is medium to light brown. It lightens to an almost platinum shade. The toner/dye washes out over time and I do not use special shampoos for color treated hair, nor do I wear hats to protect it from the sun or water. I don't care because it looks ok even with the dye washed out.

Old 04-06-2008, 06:50 PM

35,116 posts, read 41,593,048 times
You go, Goldengrain! I am so impressed! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your methods w/ us.

I am very impressed.

Old 04-06-2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You go, Goldengrain! I am so impressed! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your methods w/ us.

I am very impressed.
I am duly humbled at your praise.

Yeah. It was so very liberating when I started to do this myself. I tried a kit, years ago, but it was so weak and resuled in orange hair. So I decided to do it from scratch.

Less expensive and a much better job.

Oh, I keep all my chemicals in the fridge, too, so they last longer.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I am duly humbled at your praise.

Yeah. It was so very liberating when I started to do this myself. I tried a kit, years ago, but it was so weak and resuled in orange hair. So I decided to do it from scratch.

Less expensive and a much better job.

Oh, I keep all my chemicals in the fridge, too, so they last longer.
I get frustrated w/ the cost and also w/ scheduling. My life is not predictable so I end up having to cancel appointments . . . and it is expensive . . . so I end up going too long in between touch ups . . .

So therefore I started doing my own haircolor. Even my hairstylist (who owns the salon) says I am doing a great job. I am sure it helps that my hair is short. I had more trouble w/ color grabbing the ends when my hair was long.

I have decided to put my own streaks in and can't wait to see how it goes. I had posted on another thread and as you said . . . hair grows out . . . and it can also be re-colored if I mess up . . . so big deal. I am not so precious as to get upset if things don't go exactly right the first time!!!!

I so admire your ingenuity and "pioneering spirit" w/ doing it yourself.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I get frustrated w/ the cost and also w/ scheduling. My life is not predictable so I end up having to cancel appointments . . . and it is expensive . . . so I end up going too long in between touch ups . . .

So therefore I started doing my own haircolor. Even my hairstylist (who owns the salon) says I am doing a great job. I am sure it helps that my hair is short. I had more trouble w/ color grabbing the ends when my hair was long.

I have decided to put my own streaks in and can't wait to see how it goes. I had posted on another thread and as you said . . . hair grows out . . . and it can also be re-colored if I mess up . . . so big deal. I am not so precious as to get upset if things don't go exactly right the first time!!!!

I so admire your ingenuity and "pioneering spirit" w/ doing it yourself.

Thanks.

Yes. With frosting you don't have your hair demanding touchups and you can live according to your own schedule.

I trim it regularly until right before the end, when I allow it to grow a bit longer so I keep the lighter color at the ends. Then, when I cut it shorter, I frost it.

It is so good to have the freedom to control of your own head. Oops. That came out strange.

I don't know, but I think I heard - about the hair grabbing the ends too much - that you might coat just the ends with some sort of conditioning. I might use a light oil or, if it is something water soluable, I would just rub a little bit on the ends and maybe wait until it dried. You know, to coat them with something so they are not exposed for so long. I am not sure as I do not have that going on with my head.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Thanks.

Yes. With frosting you don't have your hair demanding touchups and you can live according to your own schedule.

I trim it regularly until right before the end, when I allow it to grow a bit longer so I keep the lighter color at the ends. Then, when I cut it shorter, I frost it.

It is so good to have the freedom to control of your own head. Oops. That came out strange.

I don't know, but I think I heard - about the hair grabbing the ends too much - that you might coat just the ends with some sort of conditioning. I might use a light oil or, if it is something water soluable, I would just rub a little bit on the ends and maybe wait until it dried. You know, to coat them with something so they are not exposed for so long. I am not sure as I do not have that going on with my head.
Makes total sense to me - about coating the hair shaft on the ends. Like you, I am now sporting a short style so I no longer have to contend w/ that problem.

I just want the freedom of never having that sick feeling that my roots are showing (or streaking has faded) and still have another 10 days to be seen in public b/f my next hair dresser's appt!!!! Plus, if I do it every five weeks - the chunk of time plus (and this is no small consideration) the cost. But actually - the time frame restrictions and inconvenience probably bother me as much as the cost!

Old 04-16-2008, 10:42 AM

Does anyone have interesting methods of hair coloring?
Would rinses in tea give red highlights?
Coffee - dark brown?

Would tea and coffee combo stain the skin so it looked tanned?

Just wondering if anyone tried any of this.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:45 PM

562 posts, read 1,362,696 times
I think it is really great when women learn to color and highlight their own hair. For some women, it feels good to get pampered at a salon, but other than a good cut and occasional pedicure, I tend to feel that I am wasting time and money at the salon.
When my hair was naturally dark brown( I now cover grey w/ Natural Match Soft Dark Golden Brown) I did try a coffee rinse, which gave a really nice depth and shine. It only lasts one shampoo though.The new glazes for different hair colors are great, if a little expensive. I recently let my hairdresser talk me into Aveda clove conditioner, and it adds a nice cinnamon tone to my hair. I color my own hair and add subtle highlights, which I described in detail on the post"Do you hide the fact that you color your hair?".
Thank you, GoldenGrain for sharing your techniques, I am sure many women will give your methods a try this summer, and save some money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care