Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 10:30 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,577,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
I think you should only get them if you are in the military. They look silly on older men and make other men look like skinheads
I have a really hard time w/ this stereotype...skinheads. What exactly designates whether someone 'looks like a skinhead' and what does that mean to society? I think an extremely close 'buzz' cut is the ONLY way someone who is losing their hair should wear it. And let's face it, we're talking a HUGE part of the male population. Who on earth would choose a bozo or (cringe) a comb-over to this neat and crisp look? My husband has been cutting his hair on a 1 guard since he was about 25, when his hairline started t recede.

The ONLY way he or anyone else who makes this choice is going to look like a skinhead (and by this term, I assume you mean racist skinhead-a term that refers to only a very small portion of the 'skinhead' community), is if he dresses in a way that makes this evident. And he doesnt.

Too many people have watched American History X and automatically assumed that a super short haircut on a man means you belong to the racist community represented in the film.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 05:29 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,936,355 times
Buzz cuts are sexy depending on the shape of the man's head and size of the ears.

A buzz cut with sideburns is off the charts sexy.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:07 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,396,900 times
I generally love the look on men! I'm not a fan of medium to long hair on men at all. Buzz cuts also work for men who are starting to lose their hair.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:03 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,730,672 times
I buzz my hair to a half inch because
a) It's easy to do at home and saves money
b) It's easy to take care of.
c) I feel better with short hair vs. shaggy hair.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:33 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,017,657 times
I hate buzz cuts...even on balding men. Very few men have the head or the ears to pull it off. And what I really hate are those military/law enforcement buzz's that leave a stupid looking patch of hair on the top. Don't these guys ever look in a mirror? And I work in law enfoircement and I love these guys...but crikey! That ridiculous hair patch buzz is just abysmal!

Old 10-09-2008, 12:05 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,577,950 times
Then what DO you like on balding men? I mean, if they're balding, it kind of doesnt matter if they have the head or ears to pull it off anyway. Cuz isnt it kind of inevitable that it's GOING to happen? Would you prefer they grow it around the sides and keep a few sparse strands on top? Yikes.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:01 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,726,531 times
I've cut my own hair for about 10 years now. From no guard to 4 or 5 with a fade. Right now I have a #7 with a low taper of a 3-4...blended into the top #7. It sucks because anything shorter I feel I look like a troublemaker. I guess I have that look, even with the right clothes. I'm trying to make something of myself now that I am in college, so I'm trying to have hair, but it is so hard because I get hot easily, sweat so all the gel runs down, and is expensive at $15 every 2 weeks to keep up the look and not look shaggy. If I went down to a #3-4 fade I could do it on my own, but now I can't.

I say go for it...I'm about to cut my to a #4-5 and a #2 on the sides all the way up so I just have hair on the top, because I have very straight hair and a stubborn natural part, so it's hard to not look goofy IMO. *sigh*

Old 10-10-2008, 06:59 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,532,809 times
Hubby's got the 1/2 buzz and I like it just fine....but then again we hang out with cops and military people so I'm comfortable with the look.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:16 AM

1,422 posts, read 3,440,939 times
Default buzz cuts

im an 80's hair band fanatic so i love long hair on guys,but i wish to god my husband would buzz his hair. long hair is nice on other guys but for some reason i wish my husband would cut his hair. its too long for me.. i like the neat look.
deb

Old 10-10-2008, 08:17 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,223 times
I think if you're balding and buzz it people know why you're doing it. I do this myself. I go about as short as I can, but I also make sure not to look like a convict. I dress respectably, and make sure I'm clean cut (no stubble) and my feedback is about 90% positive (my dad doesn't like it). Fortunately I have the head for it. But I could never grow it out. I'd look horrendous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care