Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2019, 02:54 PM

12,644 posts, read 14,775,864 times

Advertisements

For all of you out there who cover your grays with root spray, what brand do you use? L'Oreal's for about $10 isn't worth squat. You have to spray pretty much daily because it doesn't last.

How about any other methods of root hair that is quick & lasts? I don't want to go through the hassle of dying every 2 wks. TIA.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 11:31 PM

22,638 posts, read 6,389,595 times
Sorry you are having trouble with L'Oreal's root cover up but that's what I use.
Actually I spray some on the sides above my ears where it's turning from blonde
to grey. I agree it's not really long lasting though.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:56 AM

Thanks for posting. I see 2 or 3 other brands I could gradually try. I got 1 so far & it didn't seem any longer lasting than the L'Oreal.

Old 08-23-2019, 01:31 PM

43,303 posts, read 43,996,177 times
Instead of the spray you could use a "Cover Your Gray" stick:
https://www.amazon.com/Cover-Your-Gr.../dp/B003I8IIFK

Old 08-23-2019, 03:51 PM

3,030 posts, read 1,938,417 times
Sally's carries a number of grey cover choices... sprays, mascara to wand on color, a stick that looks like a lipstick, tiny powders with a brush (they look like eye shadow compacts) & some women even use temporary rinses (put on after shampooing), Roux & another brand. They even carry an expensive product (T o p i x... I think it was $23 per small container), which is fibers you sprinkle into hair... everyone I knew who used it loved it, as long as it matches your hair color.

I don't know which would be best for you... depends on color of hair, thickness/texture/density of hair, ease of use & which method you personally prefer, so it will be trial & error. For example... Roux rinses will run if caught in the rain or you jump into a pool. Good to know if wearing a white top & there's a summer shower, so you may want another method that will stay put easier if you're the outdoorsy type or live in a rainy locale.

My point in mentioning it is they don't have in-store testers, but do accept returns for 90-days with a receipt. So, you could buy a couple of them & test at home. In addition, don't be afraid to use 2 at a time, like with foundations where you may need to mix & match. You may find the most success with using the rinse, then when hair is dry, powder over it, or the spray touched up with mascara, etc. The biggest complaint I heard was not enough color choices being available... there are more color choices in the med-brown to dark-brown & black stages. I suppose it also depends on how much grey you need to cover... would be time consuming to use a small brush & powder all over, but if you're covering some strays in the front/temples, that mascara wand might be best.

I know Ulta also has some products, but don't know which ones or if they have in-store testers. You may want to look on their website first before venturing out to the store... at least where I worked for 1-mo, Ulta customers came in on the regular as they were all out. I'm unsure of their return policy, but I'd imagine they'd allow a return with receipt. While I'm mentioning them, also check Sephora... they might have some products, too.

Some women also add highlights & lowlights (done every 3-mos, rather than 1 flat color once/wk, as you mentioned) so that the gray just seems to blend in. Again, it depends on original color of hair & amount of grey. I'm a former hairdresser & sometimes making a coffee paste mixed into conditioner did the trick. Tea dying is another solution... again, depending on your own situation. My point is, if you have something at home that's non-toxic (eyelash mascara, eye shadow, etc), for the heck of it, test it on a couple of strands to see if it works for you. It might not be for everyday, but can hold you over 'til you find the perfect solution.

Oh & 1 tip. To make it less messy & frustrating, whatever you try, do 1 small section of your hair only (strand test). You don't need to cover every single grey hair to determine a product will work or not. If the color matches & you're going to cover the rest, do another test first & that is to use a spray bottle ($1-3 in the Sally's bins in the back of the stores or any Dollar Store) & spray that area with water to see if it runs, flakes, etc. I'd imagine they will all "melt" in rain (as does makeup), so maybe always carry a dark baseball cap/beret, just in case you get caught... they scrunch up nicely in any purse.

If you have other q's, would you mind posting some descriptives about your hair... original color and/or whatever color you currently color your hair, amount of gray (salt & pepper, 50% gray, temples only), hair density (thick/waxy, thin/fragile), straight/curly/wavy. It's more helpful with making recommendations or giving some guidance.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll find something perfect after experimenting a bit.

Please post back with your results as I'm sure plenty of others could use your info as a base to test the same.

Old 08-23-2019, 04:15 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,946,330 times
My hair color (I use dye every 8-9 weeks, not root spray) lasts a lot longer than 2 weeks, but I suppose that depends on your hair.

Old 08-24-2019, 09:44 AM

OP back. Thanks a lot guys!

Throughout the yrs, I've tried it all...root sprays, mascara-type, waxy stick, etc. & I like the sprays the best. It's the quickest & easiest to do PLUS they work the best in hot weather. Other methods are just a waxy, clumpy mess. Guess I'll just have to dye more often!

Any other ideas for LONG-LASTING root sprays?

Old 08-24-2019, 10:09 AM

3,075 posts, read 1,549,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
OP back. Thanks a lot guys!

Throughout the yrs, I've tried it all...root sprays, mascara-type, waxy stick, etc. & I like the sprays the best. It's the quickest & easiest to do PLUS they work the best in hot weather. Other methods are just a waxy, clumpy mess. Guess I'll just have to dye more often!

Any other ideas for LONG-LASTING root sprays?
My sister told me she uses a root powder but I don't recall brand. She said it lasts until she shampoos it out. She says it works great.

Old 01-23-2020, 11:26 AM

10 posts, read 11,561 times
Default Roux Fanciful Rinse

My roots are white, so perhaps it works better on white hair. I believe it blends grey hair so you can prolong coloring. I paint it on shampooed and dry hair with a color brush, it absorbs better for me when my hair is dry and it's easier to see when I need to apply the color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care