Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2022, 09:52 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
How does a person make enough to live on when charging $10 a haircut????
That's a different question for a different thread in a different forum.

Quote:
I'd be embarrassed to pay so little.
That's your right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2022, 10:03 AM

2,867 posts, read 1,539,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RME40 View Post
I think it's a bit crazy for someone to pay $25 bucks for a haircut. However, that's what I did yesterday and I must say my barber did a great job. I remember when haircuts cost like $9.99 or something like that. My question is how much are you paying for your haircuts?

$65, plus $120 for highlights/babylights, not including tip--and that is cheap for a good salon in a major metropolitan area. When I was in New York it was much more.

The last time I got a haircut for less than $50 it looked like I did it myself in the dark with a butter knife. No thank you.

Old 01-12-2022, 10:19 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
Quote:
I think it's a bit crazy for someone to pay $25 bucks for a haircut. However, that's what I did yesterday and I must say my barber did a great job. I remember when haircuts cost like $9.99 or something like that. My question is how much are you paying for your haircuts?
My last one was about $50. I would run like hell from a $9.99 haircut.

Old 01-12-2022, 10:51 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
I was shocked to learn renting a chair in a hair salon in good location is $700,water is extra,the salon is in a popular shopping mall next to a popular supermarket.
haircut with no shampoo is $15
That's our situation here. Little mall store that keeps changing hands. They charge $5 for DH cut and we just show them this picture since we can't talk to them, lol.

https://www.menshairstylestoday.com/...for-older-men/

OTOH, I pay over $300 for color, keratin straightening and a trim. Takes like 4 hours so I don't complain. It's only once or twice a year. I show them a picture of Gwenyth Paltrow.

You can get a buzz cut in somebody's shack for $2.

Old 01-12-2022, 11:25 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,401,997 times
I got a haircut last week for $40....that's about as good as you're going to get in Chicago unless you go to Great Clips. It turned out good like usual, but it's not difficult to cut long, fine hair...

Old 01-12-2022, 11:29 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
How does a person make enough to live on when charging $10 a haircut????

I'd be embarrassed to pay so little.
For many years I had a barber who charged $3 a cut. I think that was the price when he opened his shop in the early 1970s and he never raised the price through the end of the 1990s. He had his son and daughter cutting hair there too. They were always busy, and haircuts never lasted more than 15 minutes. So they were making about $12 an hour base, probably $18 - $20 with tips. I loved the place. Fast, cheap, and great haircuts every time.

The last barber I had charged $15. When the pandemic started I boosted his tip from $3 to $5. So I was paying $20. Since then I've had a run in with him over vaccinations, so I won't be going back.

Honestly I think the barber doing the $3 haircuts was making more than the barber charging $15. The $3 barber was making up to $20 an hour. I doubt the $15 barber averages anywhere near that. He is always sitting in an empty shop waiting for customers, and I know I'm not the only customer he has lost. So his income must be plummeting.

I miss old school barbers. Today's barbers are inefficient and have no customer service skills. They act like they are doing you a favor by even allowing you to step foot into their shop. Their sense of entitlement is high, so I'm not surprised by their prices. I don't know what I'm going to do. I might just learn how to cut my own hair. It's just not worth going to a barber any more.

Old 01-12-2022, 07:16 PM

3,485 posts, read 1,403,459 times
Quote:

Mine is $24. My barber used to charge $20 but raised it to $24 when he was forced to close during the pandemic. He claimed he had to raise his price to pay off his back rent that he owed. I now know that is BS since he reopened more than a year ago and still hasn't lowered his price back to $20. I think he's loving the extra $4 profit on the haircuts...

Old 01-15-2022, 07:36 PM

2,216 posts, read 2,936,227 times
$150 for cut and highlights is actually a great deal!

When I used to get my hair highlighted it would take a minimum of 3 hours. It's a lot of work if the stylist does it right especially if you have lots of hair like I do and want full versus partial highlights. They have to do very small sections at a time and it requires lots of foils!

Old 01-15-2022, 10:39 PM

204 posts, read 128,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seija View Post
$65, plus $120 for highlights/babylights, not including tip--and that is cheap for a good salon in a major metropolitan area. When I was in New York it was much more.

The last time I got a haircut for less than $50 it looked like I did it myself in the dark with a butter knife. No thank you.
Agreed. This is one area where I'm not willing to compromise.

I think I pay $130 for cut and partial highlights + tip; it costs more when it's a full head. It's a multi step process that takes about 3 hours. I don't mind paying it because my stylist does a great job.

Old 01-16-2022, 08:17 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Quote:
I started cutting hubby’s hair during the pandemic, and he’s not going back to the Great Clips. $17. Plus tip. I’m running a tab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care