Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2022, 08:17 AM

727 posts, read 715,039 times

Advertisements

I am getting desperate! I have ONE hair product that works but it has been discontinued and the newer version is awful. I communicated with the manufacturer but all they could offer me was coupons for the one I don't want. I've bought a few contenders but none are as good and it's getting expensive buying full size products to try once.

So far, I have obsessively searched ebay, mercari, and even poshmark as well as random Google searches. I found some on Mercari but the seller seems to have gone AWOL and I might have to cancel it.

So my question is: are there any other sites that might carry discontinued hair products that I'm not aware of?

FWIW the product is Suave Sleek Anti-Frizz cream silver tube with orange cap. NOT the newer version with the black cap.

Oh, btw the tube says "compare to Matrix Sleek Look Blow Down Lite Lotion" which, of course, has also been discontinued and is really pricy on the resale sites.

Any suggestions?

If anyone on here has some stashed away and wants to list it somewhere for sale, I will promise to buy it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2022, 12:31 PM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times
My only suggestion would be to post the ingredients. If you don't have them, try googling the shampoo and see if you can find a photo that includes the ingredients when it was in the old tube. I think it is highly unlikely you will find a tube, and many products as they get older "change" and not for the better.

Good luck, and maybe you'll find someone that used the product and knows what a substitute is.

Old 02-19-2022, 12:35 PM

4,087 posts, read 2,557,060 times
I wish that I had advice to give, but you have my empathy! My own curly hair product that I've been using for years was discontinued and replaced by a product that is a pale ghost of its predecessor.

Old 02-19-2022, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
My only suggestion would be to post the ingredients. If you don't have them, try googling the shampoo and see if you can find a photo that includes the ingredients when it was in the old tube. I think it is highly unlikely you will find a tube, and many products as they get older "change" and not for the better.

Good luck, and maybe you'll find someone that used the product and knows what a substitute is.
I actually have 1 1/2 tubes of the old good stuff that I ration as if it was gold lol. Only use it for special occasions, pictures or when my hair needs to look good. When I contacted Suave, I asked them if they had another product with those same ingredients, or if they knew of a competitor that did. They were no help.

Posting the pics now and fingers crossed someone on here has some, or knows of a substitute.

Lesson learned. When you really like a product hoard it, especially if it's cheap!
Attached Thumbnails
ISO discontinued hair products--any suggestions?-suave-new-old-anti-frizz.jpg   ISO discontinued hair products--any suggestions?-suave-orange-back.jpg  

Old 02-19-2022, 03:24 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I have fine, straight hair and there was a product called Uproot which I LOVED - of course it was discontinued (as is many products that I liked, food, a nail polish color, moisturizer, you name it) - ARGH - REALLY aggravating

Old 02-19-2022, 05:51 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
The Suave with orange cap was introduced in 2011. You can't expect products to last that long without undergoing the "new and improved" update.
Probably they couldn't get the same ingredients anymore.

Old 02-19-2022, 08:45 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
You could try asking a sales associate in Ulta, Sephora or Sally's Beauty what they would recommend as a replacement for this discontinued hair product.

Old 02-19-2022, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The Suave with orange cap was introduced in 2011. You can't expect products to last that long without undergoing the "new and improved" update.
Probably they couldn't get the same ingredients anymore.
I took your comment as a challenge and did some research about the longevity of beauty products. Some of the more well known: Pond's Cold Cream has been around since 1911 with only the removal of one binder, Noxema since 1914 , Carmex since 1937, Jergen's face cream since the 1950's and Albolene Moisturizing Cleanser since 1885--best I can tell all use their original formulas. As for shampoo, so far I've found that the Prell original formula (from 1947) has been resurrected under a new manufacturer and is now available. There may be more vintage hair products still around but unchanged. I'll spend some time looking later.

I'm not a scientist, so I looked up the first 10 ingredients in the Suave product I liked (since the highest concentrations are usually listed first) and those are mostly lab-created silicones, polymers, polyesters and other synthetics that are available (we can buy some of them ourselves in bulk!) and commonly used in beauty products. There are a couple of natural ingredients like water and hydrolyzed silk but those aren't rare either.

In any case, Suave doesn't make it any more so I am still on the hunt to find some and appreciate any suggestions about where to look!

Old 02-19-2022, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
You could try asking a sales associate in Ulta, Sephora or Sally's Beauty what they would recommend as a replacement for this discontinued hair product.
Thanks for the suggestion. I thought about doing that but it gets expensive buying full sized products! I wonder if any of the "better" lines still have samples? I can check on that.

I was surprised at how many people sell "used/tried once" products on ebay, mercari etc. but it makes sense to me now!

Old 02-21-2022, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I have fine, straight hair and there was a product called Uproot which I LOVED - of course it was discontinued (as is many products that I liked, food, a nail polish color, moisturizer, you name it) - ARGH - REALLY aggravating
Is there more to the name than Uproot? I thought I'd search for you, but the only product with that name exactly is one that "reduces unwanted hair" and I don't think that's what you want lol.

There is one called "Blowpro Blow Up Root Lift Concentrate 4.7 Oz" Is that it? https://bestbeautyhaircare.com/produ...ntrate-4-7-oz/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care