Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 10:52 PM

946 posts, read 2,918,225 times

Advertisements

I've been wanting to dye my hair black for a long time now. My natural color is dark brown, so I'm pretty sure black would look ok for my skin tone. I'm still a little scared because it's a very drastic color and not everybody can pull it off, so I've decided I'm going to try a temporary (wash out) hair color. Can somebody recommend a good brand? The only one I found online was Loreal's Color Pulse but I read reviews that say that the black one will turn your hair purple, not black! So I'm certainly not trying that one! Does anybody know of a good brand for temporary hair color?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 07:13 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,642,263 times
I would strongly recommend against coloring your hair black, temporary or permanent. I think you will be very disappointed. First, black and red hair color is the hardest color to get our of your hair. Second, not everyone can carry the black hair color look. I used to know a woman that colored her hair black all the time and she looked horrible. I personally have colored my hair black but I also have the right skin coloring to get away with it.
You can do what you want but I'd urge you to experiment with another color - there are so many fun colors! Just my honest opinion.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:48 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,578,442 times
I think you should go for it. Semi-permanant or wash-out black will not give you the same look as a permanant black so you won't get a good idea of what the color looks like on you. Go with a permanant drugstore brand such as L'oreal Preference. The conditioner is great! And there are several different shades of black so it's not like you'll be getting Elvira-fied just because you go black. They have a natural black, black-brown etc. DON'T do your eyebrows black though...big mistake. Use an eyebrow gel or pencil to darken them.

I am a dark blonde but I am usually either red or blonde. Platinum blonde is too trick for drugstore color products but red is easy...I just reapply it every 4 weeks. And this weekend I'm going from auburn to dark brown. I like to try different shades every so often. Loreal always turns out the color on the box for me.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:35 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,992,840 times
If you go alot darker than your natural color, even the "semi-permanent" won't wash out--Black is really harsh, unless you have very olive or darker skin tones. If you REALLY want to do this, you may want a professional colorist to do it for you! Good luck!

Old 06-24-2008, 09:53 AM

946 posts, read 2,918,225 times
You guys have scared me haha. Now I'm not so sure about dying it black. I'm pretty sure me skin tone would go great with it (olive), and my natural hair color even looks black sometimes and I always thought it looked good. But yeah, I should go to a professional and get their opinion instead, although they're always suggesting things that are way out of what I'm looking for. How do you guys think black with subtle brown highlights would look?

Old 06-24-2008, 02:41 PM

My sister in law has very fair skin and she dyes her own hair black. She uses Loreal preference (like I do) in Medium black. It looks great...not harsh at all.

I personally think it would be fine.

Old 06-24-2008, 03:27 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
Why don't you go try on wigs? See if you like the color. Then go to a professional!

Old 06-24-2008, 03:33 PM

812 posts, read 2,307,098 times
I did the dye hair black thing a couple of times. I say try it, may look good and you may like it! If it doesn't you have to go through the process of a color change where you do a process similar to dying your hair only it strips the color off before you can dye it back to your regular color. It may look great on you. Didn't work for me but it's good to try and have fun. Sometimes you just feel like a change and have that need to try something like that. It didn't work for me but I'm glad I tried and had fun experimenting.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Why don't you go try on wigs? See if you like the color. Then go to a professional!
That's actually a great idea. I tried on a purple wig one time and fell so inlove with it that I actually considered dying my hair that color...fortunately I came to my senses just in time. Ha! But seriously, wigs are a great idea.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:32 PM

170 posts, read 893,305 times
I made the mistake of using a new colour from Natural Instincts that was touted to be black. It was black all right. Blue black.

And it didn't wash out. Ever. I'm in the process of cutting it out now.

And my hair is naturally very, very dark but that blue black looked harsh and ghastly next to my very pale skin. I've now had to go to a permanent dark brown from Garnier to blend the roots as I'm going grey very early and the temporary colour in dark brown comes out very reddish. Again, next to what's left in the black it's incredibly noticeable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care