U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 01:28 PM

8,183 posts, read 11,202,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
Okay, I understand that its the stylist and not the salon BUT>>>>

why would a highly skilled stylist work at greatclips or supercuts?

They don't. Highly skilled artists may not only work at high end salons, they may occasionally work at mid range salons as well, but if they are talented they would not be settiling for 14.95 a cut.

I have gone to one of those chain places a couple times in my life when i was extremely desperate, and lets just say, never again. I will pay $40 for a decent cut any day.

If this has been YOUR experience then it's true for you but in OTHER'S experience it's not.

My stylist works for FS because it's better for her schedule wise with two young children. It's closer to her home in case she needs to be there in a hurry.

Ly is very talented and I would recommend her to anyone that asked.

So with MY experience, I won't be robbed of over $40.00 to cut and style my hair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 01:53 PM

24,773 posts, read 27,759,250 times
FYI, I have very difficult hair to cut & style, since I have naturally THICK coarse curly red hair... so there are few people I trust, especially since I've had some nightmare cuts. I'm fine with paying $100 or more if it looks great, which it does with my current guy. My hair is my trademark, and I don't take chances with it.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:01 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,155,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
My thoughts exactly... if my stylist moved to Supercuts, I'd follow him in a heartbeat! But the problem is that most "cheap" places have a lower percentage of excellent stylists, since they pay much less than a high-end salon. As with anything else, you get what you pay for - or what they are paid.
I wanted to post for the sake of some stylist at your FS, Super Cuts and so forth. Most of these girls there are fresh out of Beauty College. The reason why is that it is just about the only place that will hire them or bring them into their salon...

It is really difficult to get into a salon when they have only a year or so experience.
Their just starting out most of them haven't gotten the experience of their skill into a good practice and where their niche is.

When your in Beauty College they teach the basics of hair cutting, coloring and so on. Most of all Colleges are just teaching them the basics and more on getting them state board ready. Which is to petition the state to get their license. So their learning more about hair chemistry, chemicals, disease, along with the technique of cutting, perming, coloring.

Some but not all will usually go to some academies like Paul Mitchell, Vidal Sassoon's, Redken, to get their skill sharpened and understanding of the technique of cutting, coloring with all the new trends!

I just wanted to share this because that is why most people find they don't get the best hair cut at salons in Super Cuts and etc. The poor girls are really doing their best with what they know... LOL! Some of these places will send the girl to a three day cutting class... But it is really practice makes perfect, that sharpens their skill.
These girls are just starting out.... I really feel for them.

Now a lot of stylist who have moved to a new area or town will use those places to build up their cliental... and move on to your higher up scale salons.
Some just like working there also because a lot of them do have benefits, like insurance, and the hour's work with their life style and they just like it.

So to help out the poor girl at your local Super Cuts who really are wanting to please their client. That to remember their young in their skill and probably within a few years down the road you'll see them in another salon and they will give you the best hair cut you ever had...

PS... If you have a stylist you love, follow her she is the best gem you'll have in your jewelry box...

Old 09-14-2008, 07:50 AM

1,652 posts, read 4,833,037 times
Like, I know that in some Dillard's Salons, they are Aveda trained and these are the type of stylists that I would look for.

I'm right outside of New York City and even at the higher end places, there is a vast difference. Plus, it's not all about the stylist. I think the atmosphere or the salon is import and the kind of product it sells.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:29 PM

5,343 posts, read 9,003,568 times
I have gone to high end, moderate mom & pop places, and just recently - supercuts. The best cut I ever got was at a high end in NJ - but for color and cut it came to $225. Uhm, no. It was wonderful, but I'm not rich nor insane.

I went to a little salon in an area that was not as "rich" in Jersey for YEARS and paid $45 for a color and cut and the girl was AMAZING.

When I moved, I shopped around and without a lot of luck. Finally, by a fluke, I found a woman that I just love at SuperCuts. No one is more shocked than me. Without knowing it, my sister went to the same lady and she called me saying "OMG, I just got the best haircut of my life..." now the whole family goes there. BUT I will only go to her, not just to anyone there... I have seen some SCARY cuts from others there.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:34 PM

485 posts, read 1,186,420 times
My complaint with Supercuts, Haircuttery, Great Clips etc, is the people there seem to lack any personality. I try to make some small talk but they either do not respond or give one or two word answers. I do not expect my stylist to be my best friend but would like a nice conversation.

How are they going to build a client list if they are so unfriendly?

Old 09-14-2008, 03:05 PM
f_m

2,290 posts, read 5,147,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
Okay, I understand that its the stylist and not the salon BUT>>>>

why would a highly skilled stylist work at greatclips or supercuts?

They don't. Highly skilled artists may not only work at high end salons, they may occasionally work at mid range salons as well, but if they are talented they would not be settiling for 14.95 a cut.

I have gone to one of those chain places a couple times in my life when i was extremely desperate, and lets just say, never again. I will pay $40 for a decent cut any day.
Depends, it is rare though, but the stylist I use was at Supercuts. She's a grandmother that just likes to cut hair. She works at a booth at one location to accommodate customers and at Supercuts near where she lives. People go to her from 10-100 miles away.

Old 09-14-2008, 04:48 PM

5,343 posts, read 9,003,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
My complaint with Supercuts, Haircuttery, Great Clips etc, is the people there seem to lack any personality. I try to make some small talk but they either do not respond or give one or two word answers. I do not expect my stylist to be my best friend but would like a nice conversation.

How are they going to build a client list if they are so unfriendly?
Again, I think this can vary from place to place. The Supercuts I go to people are very friendly. I prefer less chat!

Old 09-15-2008, 11:49 AM

2,215 posts, read 3,656,032 times
I live in a very rural area so actually, we don't have any of those chains. I go to a local 'Beauty Parlor' which is called Salon 25 in Carthage Tn and is actually in a double wide trailer. Aesthetically, it's pretty sad. But my stylist is GREAT! And the owner of the salon knows her stuff too. I have a very detailed cut that I like (it's called the 'middy' and it's the cut most film stars of the 40's have) and I always bring in the diagram printount from an online site (though she knows it by now).

Saturday, I brought in a photo of Grace Kelly for her to copy. I wanted the cut AND the platinum color. My hair was red so it was definitely going to be a challenge. It was a challenge but not only did she meet my expectations but she surpassed them. My hair looks EXACTLY like the photo and is still soft and shiny.

Cut, color, and an eyebrow wax was 85.00!

Before I moved out here, I went to an upscale salon in Nashville called Salon Fx. It was trendy, fun, and the stylists are excellent. The guy that did my hair was one of the celebrity stylists and he never failed me. But I never spent less than 200.00 and that was his special deal for me!

Old 09-16-2008, 04:22 PM

2,320 posts, read 3,783,755 times
Default my high end salon nightmare

I spent $200 to have my hair bleached blonde at Lunatic Fringe in Salt Lake City, UT. It turned out to be a bad cut though OK color. A week ago I switched salons and went to Landis Aveda also in Salt Lake to have the color corrected. I paid $90. A lot of hairdressers nowadays are cutting hair dry; I'm used to this and almost expect it. This girl didn't even cut the bottom of my hair wet before drying and continuing with the cut. She dried it and started randomly chopping layers. As a result it is the worst haircut I have had in my life. I am going in tomorrow to have it corrected at the same salon for free.

I've gone to Regis at the mall for years without having any of these problems. Supercuts is usually not a spectacular experience but no one has ever ruined my hair there either. I am totally mystified that two "better" salons turned out to be such bad experiences. Because of this I am probably going back to the chop shops and Regis for a while till I can get a good recommendation. A lot of those salon chicks act like they know it all when they really don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care