Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 05:30 PM

15,639 posts, read 40,909,950 times

Advertisements

Maybe I am insane ... It probably is the stylist and not the salon that matters, but my experience has been that every time I have gone to a cheap, chain place, they screw up my hair. I have waist length hair and like to wear bangs, but in order to balance out the length, the bangs can't be too short. Every time I've gone to a cheap place they give me these little PeeWee Herman bangs that are WAY above my eyebrows! And color ... I'm too afraid to let them do anything with my color. I have a stylist I go to at a high end salon who does my cuts and color, but charges an arm and a leg (over $300 each time) but I completely trust him, so even though it's expensive, I am happy with what he does, so I consider it money well spent. After all, why pay money for something you aren't going to like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 11:36 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,015,028 times
In my experience I don't like to go to places like SuperCuts because I never have gotten a good haircut at one, a lot of the employees have just gotten their license and it's hard to know who is good and who is not. Whenever I move (which unfortunately is frequently) I ask people with good haircuts, where they go, and that's where I go. I got a very good haircut just this week for $18 at a private, small salon that is nothing fancy, but the woman has been doing hair for a couple of decades, listened to me, and then did what I wanted. I am still nervous about coloring...I have been away from New Jersey for over a year, and this spring I flew back to get my highlights redone. lol

Old 09-19-2008, 06:06 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,406,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Maybe I am insane ... It probably is the stylist and not the salon that matters, but my experience has been that every time I have gone to a cheap, chain place, they screw up my hair. .
Hi twinkle.....LOL....yup, we all "KNOW" you are.....LMAO.
Seriously though....you are lucky, that you are going to a more expensive salon, and get what you want, and what you are paying for.
I, on the other hand, had a nightmare at an "upper class" and expensive salon, having my foil (blond) done.
It went into shades like GREY, to brassy....and it took them 3 times (and 6 hours later !!!!) to get my blond foil right !
But, at least the cut was awesome....LOL.
So, from that perspective, you are very, very fortunate and lucky to find that perfect salon AND the perfect stylist working there.

I have found my perfect stylist in a small, private salon, and hang onto her like dear life......LOL.
She's in her 50's, and has been doing hair FOREVER. I am so comfortable with her, and she knows what she's doing.

Like I've mentioned in previous posts....even if she would up and leave ending up working on a street corner, doing hair, I would follow her.....LOL.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:02 PM

1 posts, read 12,437 times
14 dollars is a joke have some respect for the Industry. Like any hard working american our time is priceless and that is what you are paying for these individuals do not get payed an hourly wage. These individuals bend over shampoo bowls all day and stand on there feet. There study and work is equal to that of any other profession. Like any other profession skill level and integrity are to be considered.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:15 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,800,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat77 View Post
14 dollars is a joke have some respect for the Industry. Like any hard working american our time is priceless and that is what you are paying for these individuals do not get payed an hourly wage. These individuals bend over shampoo bowls all day and stand on there feet. There study and work is equal to that of any other profession. Like any other profession skill level and integrity are to be considered.
Hair stylists need skill and talent, but they do not have the same educational requirements of other professions. You simply can not compare the level of education that a hair dresser has to a CPA, attorney, nurse, physician, architect, engineer, or teacher. They all require 2-8 years of secondary education as well as CPE units each year. Hair dressers take a six month course--often as part of their high school education.

Oh, and for the record, it's obvious that spelling and grammar aren't an integral part of a cosmetology license.

Talented hair dressers have no reason to work at $14 a hair cut places. They build a following and make a very, very good living. Poor hairdressers will end up giving $14 hair cuts. Why should they expect top grade pay if they don't have the skill and talent to offer top grade services?

Old 12-09-2008, 02:19 PM

631 posts, read 1,878,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat77 View Post

You are 100% correct. I have been going to the same stylist for the past 6 years or so and I am completely in awe of her. She is an artist and takes so much pride in her work. It seems like everytime I go in she has learned something new or is studying some new technique. Her prices are expensive but its worth it to have a true master work on your hair and I tell her that every time I go in. In hair you certainly get what you pay for.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:29 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,717,885 times
After moving from Chicago to Charlotte, I haven't been able to find a decent salon. I've been thinking about going to a Supercuts or other cheap place, I may still hate the cut but at least it will be cheap. Every place I've gone here I've gotten the same bad layers, bad mall hair. I miss Art & Science Salon! I may just go back to Chicago to visit and get my hair cut a few times a year and then have a cheapo place do very basic trims in between.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:33 PM

631 posts, read 1,878,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNaomi View Post
After moving from Chicago to Charlotte, I haven't been able to find a decent salon. I've been thinking about going to a Supercuts or other cheap place, I may still hate the cut but at least it will be cheap. Every place I've gone here I've gotten the same bad layers, bad mall hair. I miss Art & Science Salon! I may just go back to Chicago to visit and get my hair cut a few times a year and then have a cheapo place do very basic trims in between.

Unfortunately, the excessively layered hair is still going strong in the South. I notice that every time I go back to Kentucky and good lord there is nothing worse than someone who butchers your hair with bad layers. I was back home for a visit a few years ago and decided to have my hair cut while I was there. The lady who did it was a little to heavy with the razor layering and it took forever to grow out even with my stylist back in AK doing a corrective cut. Just say NO to bad layering!

Old 12-09-2008, 02:42 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,523,584 times
Those fast cheapo places pay on commission...so the more haircuts they do the more money for them...they are usually new grads trying to build up some clients. Hence the not so great haircuts...The good places usually employ hairdresses that booth rent. They are more experienced and have a clientele...set their own prices and it runs like a small business...they just pay rent to the owner.

I used to do hair...the thing that always can convey EXACTLY what style you want is a picture. There is a big difference in trying to tell someone what you want verses showing them exactly what you want.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:50 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,262,748 times
As I mentioned (I think) in the original post my hair was ruined earlier in the year at a high end salon. I also got a terrible hair cut in October at Super Cuts, the last hair cut I will ever get from them. I have gone back to Regis and am happy; I have gone there off and on since the late 90s and have gotten decent hair cuts most of the time. Just yesterday I went in and got blunt bangs. A guy complimented them, said they were "hot", within an hour of leaving the salon. No one ever commented on my bangs I got from the high end salon. I'm sold on mid priced hair cuts. But then, I am a budget babe on most things. I'm shelling out on my rhinoplasty revision, not my hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care