Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you risk having your haircut at a Beauty School?
Yes, what a value! 3 23.08%
No, they would scalp me! 6 46.15%
Only if I wanted a buzz cut 4 30.77%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 09:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,074 times

Advertisements

All my experiences have been fantastic.. the students have recently learned how to use these techniques and are usually focused on getting it right or at least trying not to **** off the instructor. After three years of spending a fortune on my hair and salons.. which was a waste since I never liked the styles. I decided to give a tech school a shot and have never looked back.

People who have been cutting for years tend to get bored, and are more focused on getting the job done so they can gossip or just go home. I've had such bad expierences in high priced salons though that if there wasnt a local school I would just have a friend do my hair. Like when I saved and saved to get my hair done for prom, told the woman that I wanted a relaxed style since I'd be dancing all night and was going to downtown Orlando after to see a metal show and would prefer to have a nice hairdo but nothing promy.. yep I ended up with a curled updo that looked like it came straight out of Toddlers and Tiaras.. it took six hours, have a bottle of conditioner and some coconut oil to get that mess untangled. And the last time I had a costly cut, it ended up crooked and my "short layers" looked like bangs going all the way around my head , like a bowl cut on top of my hair.. Im not one to complain but really! And the manager just looked at me like I was crazy for the complaint. It was so obvious to everyone else though, work was a living nightmare until I had it corrected.. but Im a bartender and customers remember these things... forever!

You may be taking a slight risk, but if the student you get seems incapable of completing a thought just let the instructor know you arent comfortable with that student because they look like a stoner or you think they are the relative of a really bitter ex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 07:18 AM

1,812 posts, read 3,351,590 times
no but i get wash and blow drys and 99 percent they do a great job.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:35 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,575,803 times
I've had my hair done at beauty schools a handful of times. When I was in my early teens, my mom took my sister and I to one regularly, but I had terribly difficult hair and it was completely out of sync with the fashion at the time, so getting a bad haircut wouldn't have been noticeable to me since I felt my hair looked crap 24/7 anyway.

Since becoming an adult, I've gone to a school a handful of times with mixed results. I had the phone number for the Vidal Sassoon Salon trainees for awhile, but they were limited to certain cuts that they had to pass and if my hairstyle wasn't the cut they needed to do, I couldn't get an appointment. Then I went to a Graham Webb school and got a cut that was technically good but wasn't what I wanted at all, and the stylist scared me by constantly swinging her scissors around on her pinky up into her hand right beside my face. I was flinch city for an hour.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:41 AM

1,306 posts, read 3,113,437 times
I've had great cuts and I've had bad cuts. Usually the bad cuts are performed by the most inexperienced students who are scared and afraid of making mistakes, so they take forever (the last one took 2 hours +) and still have to be corrected by the instructor. If I were to go back, I'd ask specifically for an experienced student.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care