Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 12:47 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,370,597 times

Advertisements

I never expected to be in a position where I would need extra help with my hair. It has always been fine, but with time it has become thin. I have looked at my options and I know that many women suffer from thinning hair due to menopause or other factors. I have upped my vitamins including Biotin in the hope that it will help although I am not expecting a miracle.

What have you done? Were the results natural? What do you recommend?

I would appreciate hearing your experiences and recommendations. Thank you.

Last edited by jhlcomp; 10-14-2008 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 01:00 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Not a woman, but do know something about hair loss:

First step really should be to check with an MD, the hair loss could be a symptom of something serious (more serious).

Assuming the MD does not find anything sinister, probably Rogaine for women is your best and most cost-effective treatment, particularly if the hair loss is from male pattern baldness type causes.

Working with an MD or dermatologist, you *may* want to *consider* estrogen supplements. Keep in mind I'm not a woman, I'm not a doctor, this may or may not be appropriate for your situation.

It's easy enough to try Nizoral shampoo, Nizoral acts against DHT, assuming your hair loss is being caused by DHT.

Hair transplants are expensive but if properly done should fix your problem.

Final note, I see you are in Florida, do something to protect your scalp from the sun, sunburn to the scalp can make the hair loss worse.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:07 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times
Menopause doesn't cause thinning hair; genetics does. If either of your parents lost hair, you will too. Some of your biology is great; some is fine; some is inclinations you wish were different. Bear in mind that estrogen supplementation has caused breast cancer in many women who have taken it.

You're absolutely right that taking reliable vitamin and mineral supplements daily is a great idea for the entire immune system and body, and can also help attitude. Omega-3 helps more than most folks realize, so eating salmon and tuna most days a week or taking Omega-3 capsules daily will give us worlds of good, especially for the heart and circulation.

My experience tells me to go with the flow, since pushing against life produces anger and other dead-end, unproductive wastes of the energy of our life -- and since what other people think of how we look is irrelevant to the substance of our lives and to our happiness. Despite the superficiality of American "culture", hairstyles are fun but meaningless, and if you find that some people mock your hair, you get to decide just how stupid and unloving they really are.

Fill your life with what you enjoy. Love. Laugh. Hug. That's a happy life.

Last edited by allforcats; 10-14-2008 at 02:00 PM..

Old 10-14-2008, 05:40 PM

25 posts, read 85,474 times
I'd also think about changing shampoo/conditioner to something organic... sometimes the chemicals in major hair products are toxic for the scalp.

Hot water also promote hair loss, so start washing your hair in cold water instead

Old 10-14-2008, 07:02 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,988,586 times
If you have long hair---cut it! With layers! It will make it LOOK thicker. It is a genetic thing--and aside from using those treatments for male pattern baldness, there's really only the styling thing that will help!

Old 10-14-2008, 07:36 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,395,137 times
Would you consider going to a derm for an eval? Or do you not want to go that route?

Old 10-14-2008, 07:39 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
I never expected to be in a position where I would need extra help with my hair. It has always been fine, but with time it has become thin. I have looked at my options and I know that many women suffer from thinning hair due to menopause or other factors. I have upped my vitamins including Biotin in the hope that it will help although I am not expecting a miracle.

What have you done? Were the results natural? What do you recommend?

I would appreciate hearing your experiences and recommendations. Thank you.
cut your hair short and get a hair piece.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:48 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,282,515 times
I went on the birth control pill a few years ago. A good monophasic pill can really help with the premenopausal "cycling" that occurs when the ovaries stop ovulating at mid life. I'm on Orthocyclen.

I've read that soy is horrible for hormonal balance. I've had to cut it out entirely. When I add it back (as I have the past few days due to convenience) the hair in my comb is about twice as much.

You may need hormonal help. Here are a couple of doctors who specialize in hormones. Dr. Vliet and Dr. Redmond are experts on female hormonal health.

Hormone Help Center provides clear, practical information about women’s common hormone problems
HER Place Women's Health - Individualized Hormone Replacement Therapy

I've read a couple of Dr. Vliet's books. She is very anti soy, as well as pro Pill and bioidentical hormones. I think it would be worth your time to have your hormones tested to find out what is happening.

If you are in fact pre menopausal this board is supportive:

Menopause Message Boards, Menopause Forums and Menopause Blogs

The hair loss board is also great. A lot of the people on the board are anti birth control pill and there are tons of posts about loss that people attribute to it. I have had nothing but good experiences with the pill (I've been on it 4 years) until recently.

http://www.hairsite.com/female-hair-...iew-forum.html

Hair is central to both sexes sense of self image and is not meaningless. I hope you feel better.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:56 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times
Or you could wear a baseball hat, which is what a lot of men tend to do.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:39 AM

171 posts, read 815,252 times
Definitely try a different hairstyle. If you part your hair in the same spot for years, it thins there more. If a lot of hair is falling out, try rogaine. It will stop falling out, though it may not produce new growth. Also, scalp massage helps. There is a lot of information on the internet about massaging with rosemary oil. Massage is beneficial bacause it increases circulation. All these methods are gradual, they don't help overnight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care