U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 10:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,996 times

Advertisements

I've had the "flat, thin hair" look my whole life and tried everything to make it look better, from perms to extensions to lots of salon style shampoos. I shampoo every day, also color my roots every 4 weeks, and blow dry, so I had to always use good quality (expensive) conditioners. My hair is layered & pretty long, half-way down my back.

Imagine my surprise a couple years ago when I tried shampooing with baking soda and rinsing with vinegar (any kind) and my hair started having body and looking actually thick and healthy! For me, there was a 2 week transition period when I first started, where my hair wouldn't look as clean as I like. I'd been warned that the scalp is producing extra oil from using shampoo, and would acclimate, so I kept at it. After that time, it started looking thicker, clean and actually beautiful. People actually started complimenting my hair.

I use 1 tbs baking soda dissolved in a 16 oz cup, pour it over my head and massage my scalp for a few seconds, then rinse. Then I pour about 2 -3 tbs vinegar into the cup add water, and pour over my entire hair. I leave it while I bathe and rinse. I'll never use anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 10:58 PM

19,023 posts, read 14,177,740 times
There's no such thing has hair thickening chemical aka shampoo.

Hair is thickened only by natural means and good genes. I spend some nights applying eggs on my hair or lemon mixed in coconut oil or there is a special oil which my mother makes from all kinds of leaves and she ships it to me. They all keep my hair in good health and I bathe with shika powder, naturally made.

And on top of that everyone in my family has thick hair. All these measures only keep the thick hair in good health, given the constant onslaught of chemicals that come into contact, like the water in the shower, the change in weather, hair gel and the occasional shampoo.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:39 AM

3 posts, read 630 times
I think natural shampoo helps alot to make hair grow longer and thicker.
And we my grandmother alive she made a shampoo at home.And that shampoo make hair grow double.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:52 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,300,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Then I wash out, and make a vinegar rinse -
Unbelievably, my hair comes out thicker, shinier and less tangled, and I hardly ever lose any hairs - maybe 3 o4 four at the most. Try it, you might be surprised.
Quote:
Originally Posted by devol View Post
Imagine my surprise a couple years ago when I tried shampooing with baking soda and rinsing with vinegar (any kind) and my hair started having body and looking actually thick and healthy!
I started using baking soda/ACV last month and the result was instantaneous. My scalp responded to the new regime immediately and my hair stays cleaner longer. I used to shampoo my hair three times a week, now, I only wash it every four days.

Before I tossed out my shampoo, I lost a lot of hair every day. Since the baking soda/ACV, the amount of hair in the shower and on the bathroom floor has drastically decreased. Each hair strand is coated with a layer of whatever in the baking soda/ACV combination, making my hair looks fuller and feels thicker. Since I don't use conditioner, it also feels coarser, but not a bad kind of coarseness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella52 View Post
I'm wondering though because I color my hair if this would strip the color out
The colour actually stays longer because I wash my hair less often. However, on the day I coloured my hair, I used the conditioner that came with it and my hair seemed to be flatter and became oilier that week.

Since I have tons of Lipton black tea sitting unused in the pantry (I drink green tea only, don't remember where the black tea came from), I also rinse my hair with tea, so now, aside from the colour-from-the-box, my hair also sports a combination of highlights and lowlights of the same shade.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 12-05-2011 at 02:16 AM..

Old 12-05-2011, 06:30 PM

2,245 posts, read 2,460,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Mane 'n Tail Shampoo ...it's a horse shampoo for their mane and tail and it's safe for human hair. Retail stores sell it but I don't know if it's the same formula as the equine stores. My daughter used it and she bought it at the Tractor Supply Store. Check it out at Amazon or Google it.
I tried this product cause I'd always head things about it from it makes ur hair grow faster to it makes it thicker etc. It destroyed my hair when I was using it. My hair became like straw for the month I tried it. SUPER dry and I used to condition too. Its never been the same so I've been getting frequent haircuts to keep getting rid of the dry stuff

Old 02-25-2012, 02:24 PM

316 posts, read 404,098 times
Does your hair smell like vinegar after the rinse?

Old 02-26-2012, 03:40 AM

201 posts, read 404,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW transplant View Post
Does your hair smell like vinegar after the rinse?
That's exactly what I was going to ask- going around smelling like vinegar is NOT worth it to me! I can't imagine you wouldn't smell like it after pouring it all over your head.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:54 PM

871 posts, read 645,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison21 View Post
That's exactly what I was going to ask- going around smelling like vinegar is NOT worth it to me! I can't imagine you wouldn't smell like it after pouring it all over your head.
You need to re-read the post. She is not using pure vinegar, it's diluted with water.

A friend just directed me to this thread, and I'm going to give this a shot. I just tried adding baking soda and white vinegar to my laundry this weekend, and it worked wonders. I still used soap, of course, but it really did seem to make the soap work better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care