U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 11:43 AM

8,424 posts, read 24,425,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmobizmo View Post
Brassy! That's what you call it.
I couldn't think of the term earlier.

What is a "toner " shampoo? I use a "Biolage" shampoo specifically for color-treated hair. Is that what you mean?
If it is different, do you get it at the salon or is it available OTC?

I did think about doing highlights to frame my face. Would you suggest a highlighting kit or just a much lighter hair color for those areas?
Well if you use a highlighting kit yourself I would call the 800 number to make sure you can mix it with whatever dye. Some lightening can not go over certain colors or it will burn off or change into a weird color. I would go and have them done just to get a reference on placement if you never had them before. The next all over color job you do, the color will be more vibrant/intense in the highlighted area. Look at the color squares on the side to give you an idea what the highlights will turn out like until you put more in. I really like this method because you can take a break from bleaching without it looking bad at all. It makes it look like you got low lights if you have ever seen that on anyone.

My blond days I always used:
Buy Jhirmack Shampoo, Silver Brightening Online at drugstore.com

Jhirmack Shampoo (Silver Brightening)

It has a purple tone (toner) that de-yellows (brassy) the hair
I would use that when its brassy only. Rotate with your biolage use as needed.I didn't use the Jhirmack conditioner , just the shampoo. City and hard water are worlds rougher on blond if you don't filter your water too. I really noticed this. It was ridiculous the difference between a small town clean water blond and city blond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I appreciate your comments. Could you please expand upon that remark a bit?
Are you saying that different 'home' hair dyes are constructed out of differing chemicals that may not 'mix' well with other treatments?

Like, I stay away from henna products because I am told they have this problem. Do others?
Yes EXACTLY like that.

Here is a person complaining about feria being annoying like that:
HairTalkô @ HairBoutique.com: Feria Hair Color, Get Out!

Old 02-13-2009, 11:52 AM

And just a clip from that site to post here too as it is very important:

"Three important facts about existing artificial color on the hair

1) Permanent hair color does not lift out existing artificial hair color.

2) Hair bleaching will lighten artificial pigments (especially very dark colors) more slowly than natural pigments in regrowth.

3) Some inexpensive (drugstore brand) hair colors contain metallic salts which can turn your hair to mush if they're processed with bleach, perm solutions, or chemical straighteners.

Check the ingredients if you've used a drugstore brand hair color to make sure it doesn't contain any metallic dye components.

Darker colors contain more of this ingredient (in those particular brands), and the more you've used it, the more metallic salts will have been deposited on/in your hair."
Hair Color Removal

Old 02-13-2009, 12:26 PM

2,868 posts, read 6,257,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
And just a clip from that site to post here too as it is very important:

"Three important facts about existing artificial color on the hair

1) Permanent hair color does not lift out existing artificial hair color.

2) Hair bleaching will lighten artificial pigments (especially very dark colors) more slowly than natural pigments in regrowth.

3) Some inexpensive (drugstore brand) hair colors contain metallic salts which can turn your hair to mush if they're processed with bleach, perm solutions, or chemical straighteners.

Check the ingredients if you've used a drugstore brand hair color to make sure it doesn't contain any metallic dye components.

Darker colors contain more of this ingredient (in those particular brands), and the more you've used it, the more metallic salts will have been deposited on/in your hair."
Hair Color Removal

For sure...Nice and Easy does contain metallic salts. Never never use that brand.... a hair dresser can not fix this hot mess...well maybe a good one can.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:49 PM

12,411 posts, read 9,634,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Yes EXACTLY like that.

Here is a person complaining about feria being annoying like that:
HairTalk™ @ HairBoutique.com: Feria Hair Color, Get Out!
Interesting. I started reading more of that thread and the only one I think is totally correct is the last, saying Feria is not metalic.

So I looked around and this was confirmed by several other sites. There is a lot of misinformation floating around about hair dye, I think.

Another article says both Henna and the metalics coat the hair shaft rather than penetrate, so it is hard for a 'normal' dye to 'take' over them. A Clairol product, Mettelax, is supposed to remove metalics, but metalics are only used in things that coat the hair gradually, like Grecian Formula. At least, this is what I read. An article said no commercial hair products in a box were metalics. I looked at the Feria box ingrediants and there was no metal listed.

There was a complaint that I read about NiceNEasy, which was identified as a henna dye. It said the stuff faded out quickly. But I think most hennas are labeled as such on the boxes.

I used to mix products and got a really wonderful look that I could not replicate because I forgot which two products/brands I used. I have seen hair shine so much in sunlight that it looks artificial, like a synthetic wig when you first get it. Sort of a nylon look. I had combined two dyes, and someone said it might have been Wella or Miss Clairol with a Feria. It came out all the same color, but the highlights were in sort of long streaks, and kind of looked alive as you moved because the slivers of really shiney hair would move against the backdrop of normal hair.

I loved it. Maybe I will try that again someday. Maybe I liked it because reddish hair is attention grabbing enough and lots of shimmer on it looks to me like a neon sign flashing.

Last edited by goldengrain; 02-13-2009 at 11:02 PM..

Old 02-14-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Interesting. I started reading more of that thread and the only one I think is totally correct is the last, saying Feria is not metalic.

So I looked around and this was confirmed by several other sites. There is a lot of misinformation floating around about hair dye, I think.

Another article says both Henna and the metalics coat the hair shaft rather than penetrate, so it is hard for a 'normal' dye to 'take' over them. A Clairol product, Mettelax, is supposed to remove metalics, but metalics are only used in things that coat the hair gradually, like Grecian Formula. At least, this is what I read. An article said no commercial hair products in a box were metalics. I looked at the Feria box ingrediants and there was no metal listed.

There was a complaint that I read about NiceNEasy, which was identified as a henna dye. It said the stuff faded out quickly. But I think most hennas are labeled as such on the boxes.

I used to mix products and got a really wonderful look that I could not replicate because I forgot which two products/brands I used. I have seen hair shine so much in sunlight that it looks artificial, like a synthetic wig when you first get it. Sort of a nylon look. I had combined two dyes, and someone said it might have been Wella or Miss Clairol with a Feria. It came out all the same color, but the highlights were in sort of long streaks, and kind of looked alive as you moved because the slivers of really shiney hair would move against the backdrop of normal hair.

I loved it. Maybe I will try that again someday. Maybe I liked it because reddish hair is attention grabbing enough and lots of shimmer on it looks to me like a neon sign flashing.
Are you sure about that feria?...Call just in case. I don't use it at all anymore for that reason. Companies always reformulate. I always call when mixing and check on the internet too. I never ever want a chemical burn on my head of all places.

You can redo the look with any product. Combing colors is the way to make it look pro at home. I love the look for 2-3 colors of red. Try luce hair polish to give yourself shine like that now. But dont rinse it out. Just slather through a dab with some damp hands. That stuff is great! Feria does have some nice red...ugh...I wish it all worked magically together...and little elves came in the box that would put it in for you too..

Old 02-14-2009, 07:43 PM

12,411 posts, read 9,634,094 times
When I search the net I get just as many 'yes' as 'no' answers.
Some say the complaints are all from people who have used their black dye.
Maybe the pigment is different.
I am thinking that a dye that is hard to remove may do a better job on grey.

Thanks for the Luce Hair Polish tip. I made a note of it.

To me the 'voices' that say it is not metallic seem to be more authoritative.
Be that as it may, because of all the observations, it does seem hard to remove,
and you are right about calling the company. I saw this:
It actually does NOT have metallic dyes and who knows how that rumor got started.

If you look at the ingredient list, you will see that Feria does not list lead acetate and lead acetate is how you identify metallic dye. It does list p-Phenylenediamine which is another indication it is NOT a metallic dye.

Someone later on says many stylists believe this is metallic but it is not.
Following is something else - evidently people don't read the package?

I've seen many NEGATIVE comments on this product, MOSTLY out of ignorance of how this product is SUPPOSED TO WORK - It is NOT Supposed to be used on hair that is significantly LIGHTER or DARKER than the recommended color. It is NOT supposed to be used on hair that is LIGHTENED, COLORED With a Lighter Or Darker Shade, Permanent Waved, Relaxed Or Damaged Hair. If any of these conditions exist, they need to be corrected before good results can be expected. The results are supposed to be Extra Intense and TRANSPARENT so you can't use it to cover-up a bad, fading, streaky dye job or grey hair. You also can't use an INTENSE RED Or BLUE-BLACK On Blonde or Very Light Brown Hair. Unless you like PINK / ORANGE Or BLUE / GREEN HAIR - PLEASE READ ALL THE PACKAGE BEFORE USING. - Thank-You

A number of people say the color fades in a few weeks. What good is that?
Then, others are saying it lasts longer. Maybe this has to do with the local water issue.

I think you're right - call first.

I hate the world of cosmetology. There is so much bs spread around, even by professionals, sometimes especially by professionals.

If anyone wants to ask customer service: 1-800-631-7358
I got the number off the box.

Perhaps the colors and formulations are slightly different if you purchase the product from a beauty supply store vs. a boxed package.

If I use it I will call them and ask if I can put other products or perms over it and can I bleach it out with normal bleach. It makes no sense that people say it fades and that professionals say that they cannot remove it.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:24 AM

973 posts, read 2,113,887 times
[quote=*Danielle*;7450610]Make sure you're using a perm. hair color. Not temporary.
If you're going to wash your hair everyday, use a VERY mild shampoo. Or you can use a shampoo that deposits color as well. I would only use that when you start to see your color fading. Color depositing shampoo is harsher then gentle balsam shampoo...(Baby Shampoo is very mild).
If there is a SALLY'S by you,,,they sell little ampules you can mix into your color mixture...Fillers. They are in the same isle with all the other coloring stuff...There is one specific to grey coverage. You take this ampule and mix it into your color mixture and apply as normal.

The thing with grey is it is transparent hair. It has zero pigmentation. So for the best coverage, you need to add a little bit so your hair color will grab onto that added pigmentation. Hence increasing your grey coverage and making it last longer.

I would also suggest going to SALLY'S and getting hair color from them...Only because you can pick a stronger developer....(and get your little ampule too).

What color is your natural color?[/quote]

I always use a Permanent Color that matches my natural hair color (light brown minus the grey ). The problem I have is that the color fades so fast and the grey becomes obvious in short order. I just colored my hair 4 days ago and there are still a handful of grey hairs staring back at me. I think they are snickering in defiance.

I'll look up "Sallys" to see if there is one close by. The last time I was in one, years ago, they would not sell color or perms to anyone w/o a license. I'll check again.

I think my hair problem is that it is porous due to my lack of knowledge about how to care for chemically treated hair. I get a Perm once a year and color every 6-8 weeks. For many years, I used whatever OTC shampoo and conditioner I found on sale and never really thought that I was doing anything wrong. Perhaps if I actually read some of those beauty magazines I would be familiar with terms like protein fillers, glosses and glazes.

Thank you to all those who have offered up their advice!!!

Old 02-16-2009, 09:05 AM

5,015 posts, read 3,023,957 times
Hair color fades after 4 wks., shampoo and condition every other day with salon proven products, Back to Basics, KMS etc. Use Goldwell permanent hair dye, much better product and reduces fading.
As for resistant greys, put your peroxide on a cotton swab and saturate that part of your hair, let sit on your hair for 5 mins. then color as usual.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:13 PM

2 posts, read 11,459 times
The thing with dyeing it your natural color, if it's dark like mine, is that those white roots are so extreme, teh other end, that they are noticeable? I have like 11, might seem like a few, but to me it's a nightmare, trying to keep them hidden. I dye them, but within two days, there are those new regrowths!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care