U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-05-2011, 08:29 PM

2,745 posts, read 2,209,323 times

Advertisements

I have used Goldwell hair color in salons for many years simply because I feel it is the best brand of color out there. My hair color stays very true to color and grey coverage is excellent. Goldwell has a series of shades that are meant for resistant gray. We mix that 50/50 in with the color I want.

I have almost pure white hair across the front of my head, but you would never know it unless my roots are showing.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 02:32 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,076,839 times
Very helpful thread! But what is the purpose of the "filler" (available at Sally's)???

Also, not mentioned is that keeping colored hair covered as much as possible when outdoors, especially in the sun helps to maintain color and prevent a certain amount of brassiness--I'm no expert but my mother-in-law told me this and she had beautiful, colored hair.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:03 PM

2,040 posts, read 1,803,977 times
Filler deposits protein molecules into the hair cuticle so the added color can grab onto the shaft evenly and hold on longer.

Old 04-28-2013, 02:12 AM

3 posts, read 1,252 times
Default Grey hair appears before my first shampoo>

Please Help!

I have tried everything from going to expensive salons to doing it myself at home with professional hair color products and my grey roots are showing up before my first wash (within 48 hours of coloring). I have tried the grey magic drops from Sally's, I have pretreated my hair with the developer before applying the color, I only rinse out the color and then condition afterwards but nothing works. I have dark brown hair so the grey roots are very obvious and I am touching up every week. Please someone help me as I am a slave to hair dye and I am extremely frustrated. Please help me

Old 04-28-2013, 04:38 AM

800 posts, read 954,525 times
I'm not sure I'm understanding your problem... Do you mean the hair color is not "taking" or just your hair grows out that fast?

If you're talking about the hair around your hairline the culprit could be washing your face without covering your hair. If you think that's it, get yourself a headband to keep the water from your roots, or use a cream cleanser and be careful to NOT get it near your hairline.

Hair color won't fade that fast on its own, you have to be doing something, and you say it's before you wash it... so I'm wondering if it looks all even when you color it. If so, and you're just talking about a couple of millimeters of hair, there's nothing that can be done about it. But I'm thinking that couldn't be it because who would make such a big deal of that tiny bit of growth, right? So you have to confirm if it is that your color is not taking. Then I can tell you what it could be and what you can do about it.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:50 PM

119 posts, read 61,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmobizmo View Post
I have two questions actually.

How do you get hair color to stay "true?"
I color every 6-8 weeks and usually by week 4, my hair has taken on a golden hue although I always use "ash" toned light brown color. I use shampoo and conditioner for color-treated hair yet the color fades away to that golden color. I had a similar experience with a salon color job too.

What do you do about those stubborn grey hairs that won't "take" color besides yanking them out?
I always have a handful that refuse to take color, even if I leave the color in a few minutes longer. Their pesky little grey friends lose their color pretty quick also. Usually within 3-4 weeks after coloring.

Does anyone else struggle with their hair color, too? Anybody know how to conquer the hair color problems?

My suggestions:
Use a sulfate free shampoo and try to only shampoo a few times a week. Sulfates strip the natural oils from your hair as well as hair dyes. I really like the Hair One sulfate free products sold at Sally's. You don't need a license to purchase products at Sally's. Hair One products are a shampoo and conditioner all in one and lasts quite awhile and is very affordable. You can use a dab after rinsing for protection and easy of styling prior to blow drying. Blow drying and hot water help color to fade as well. I would invest in a blow dry protection spray prior to styling, if you blow dry your hair. It prevents fading and breaking.
Permanent color used with 20 volume is what is needed to keep color longer and to color grey. Most boxed color is garbage, period. Buy tubes of color at Sally's instead with separate 20 volume peroxide. You can also get ammonia free hair color to prevent damage. You will need an applicator bottle and gloves to apply color or you can get a plastic mixing bowl and brush instead.
Ash brown used alone can look quite flat and unnatural so I would consider using just a little warmth mixed with it

Old 05-01-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesmom View Post
My suggestions:
Use a sulfate free shampoo and try to only shampoo a few times a week. Sulfates strip the natural oils from your hair as well as hair dyes. I really like the Hair One sulfate free products sold at Sally's. You don't need a license to purchase products at Sally's. Hair One products are a shampoo and conditioner all in one and lasts quite awhile and is very affordable. You can use a dab after rinsing for protection and easy of styling prior to blow drying. Blow drying and hot water help color to fade as well. I would invest in a blow dry protection spray prior to styling, if you blow dry your hair. It prevents fading and breaking.
Permanent color used with 20 volume is what is needed to keep color longer and to color grey. Most boxed color is garbage, period. Buy tubes of color at Sally's instead with separate 20 volume peroxide. You can also get ammonia free hair color to prevent damage. You will need an applicator bottle and gloves to apply color or you can get a plastic mixing bowl and brush instead.
Ash brown used alone can look quite flat and unnatural so I would consider using just a little warmth mixed with it
I just want to clarify that Hair One is not really a "sampoo and conditioner all in one", I think what you meant to say is that it acts like both. But I'm saying it so that others don't get confused, for the longest time there have been lots of "2-in-1" products but they're NOT any better than using shampoo and conditioner separately, in fact because of the silicones they usually contain they can be bad for people with sensitive scalps, on 2 different occasions, years apart, I got a horrid case of seborrheic dermatitis from 2 different brands.

Hair One is Sally's imitation of Chaz Dean's Wen, I'm very well-versed in cosmetic ingredients and after looking at the list of ingredients I can tell you it's nothing more than a conditioner heavy in glycerin (like Wen). The same effect can actually be accomplished with any number of conditioners that don't contain any insoluble silicones but include some oil (if not you can even add it yourself, you can add vegetable glycerin if you like too).

I wouldn't go as far as saying that "all boxed color" is garbage either, one can obtain fairly good results with them. I used them myself for many years without major complaints other than there's more fading with them, especially when using certain shades. But as soon as I got in beauty school I began using professional brands.

From Sally's one that lasts and leaves the hair in great condition is ION; there's also some specifically for resistant gray hair. I went back to Color Charm because for me right now it's more practical economically, and good enough for my needs; since I don't use shampoo nor wash daily my hair color lasts long anyway. I like to stick to the tubes too because I learned in beauty school that they have much less ammonia than their liquid counterparts.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:50 PM

119 posts, read 61,713 times
I returned my Wen and tried Hair One instead. I have been highlighting my hair forever and have curly hair that I blow dry. I recently started dying my hair a brownish red shade so you can imagine the damage. My hair is very shiny, bouncy and only wash it with Hair One twice a week. I use the one for color treated hair with Jojoba. Once a week I will use a deep conditioning masque for hair and leave it in overnight. What you have to get use to is no lather when using this product. It's the lather that causes the damage from sulfates,etc. I have been a hairstylist for too many years to mention and have tried a million products, but find this product has prolonged my color and as most people know, reds fade quickly. The condition of my hair has never been better and less hair is falling out.
I use to Soy haircolor by Clairol that Sallys sells as well as Ion.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesmom View Post
I returned my Wen and tried Hair One instead. I have been highlighting my hair forever and have curly hair that I blow dry. I recently started dying my hair a brownish red shade so you can imagine the damage. My hair is very shiny, bouncy and only wash it with Hair One twice a week. I use the one for color treated hair with Jojoba. Once a week I will use a deep conditioning masque for hair and leave it in overnight. What you have to get use to is no lather when using this product. It's the lather that causes the damage from sulfates,etc. I have been a hairstylist for too many years to mention and have tried a million products, but find this product has prolonged my color and as most people know, reds fade quickly. The condition of my hair has never been better and less hair is falling out.
I use to Soy haircolor by Clairol that Sallys sells as well as Ion.
Yes! It's amazing how those sulfates drain the color out and also damage the hair. I became a happy camper when I stopped using shampoo back in 2002.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:55 PM

7,717 posts, read 5,588,663 times
I only skimmed this thread but it looks good. Just googled Sally's and I've got one two miles away! I have most of the same problems mentioned here--the faded hair, the hair color that just washes out and doesn't last, the brassiness.

About six months ago I started getting it professionally colored and it looks a lot better. She put some purple or blue into the brown to tone down the brassiness that I was getting when I did it myself. I know next to nothing about hair color so I was using whatever was on sale at the drug store.

Maybe if I can learn more and find a good product I could go back to coloring myself instead of paying all this money to get someone else to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care