U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 03:39 PM

973 posts, read 2,972,551 times

Advertisements

I have two questions actually.

How do you get hair color to stay "true?"
I color every 6-8 weeks and usually by week 4, my hair has taken on a golden hue although I always use "ash" toned light brown color. I use shampoo and conditioner for color-treated hair yet the color fades away to that golden color. I had a similar experience with a salon color job too.

What do you do about those stubborn grey hairs that won't "take" color besides yanking them out?
I always have a handful that refuse to take color, even if I leave the color in a few minutes longer. Their pesky little grey friends lose their color pretty quick also. Usually within 3-4 weeks after coloring.

Does anyone else struggle with their hair color, too? Anybody know how to conquer the hair color problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 07:27 PM

12,408 posts, read 16,477,375 times
I wish I could help.
Over processed hair sometimes becomes so porous that it will no longer hold color.

That probably is not your problem.

Also, some colorist said (and this is might be only good for going darker) if the hair is overprocessed sometimes doing it some variant of red before the other color, leaving it that way for a few days, and then color with your desired color, will make the other color 'take'.

The idea is that most/every hair contains the red family of pigments.
If you bleach the hair, this is the hardest color to get rid of and as it is lightening, goes from dark red to red to orange to yellow to blonde to white in the bleaching process.

It was suggested that the red pigment acted as a bonding agent between the hair shaft and the coloring you are using.

I never tried that - just sharing what I know/have heard.

My scanty knowledge goes thusly - the hair shaft has cuticles, picture a tree trunk with shingles going down it. To deposit color you lift the cuticle (shingles) to deposit color on the hair shaft.

I think the cuticle of treated hair never goes fully back to its original tight adherence to the shaft(this is why a perm will sometimes lighten hair), so when you shampoo the color gradually leaves. Overprocessed hair has the cuticle lifted even more.

Again, I don't know this, but I have read about glazes and glosses. They seem to be semi-permanent and can be transparent or have a slight color to them. The colored one may be good for you in the in-between period before you need your next touchup. Maybe they have ash-type colors to counter red and yellow hues.

A professional might know this, but I am thinking if the glaze/gloss makes your hair shiny it fills in the spaces where your cuticle is not tight against the hair shaft, making it smooth and reflective of more light. I was thinking that a clear treatment might clog the cuticle so you don't lose color so easily.

There is a little talk of these things on an Oprah site:
What's the Difference Between Hair Gloss and Hair Glaze?

There is a thread in CD that discusses glazes:
At-Home Hair Glaze (brand, shampoo, salon, brand)

Some people are saying it is a dye with no color, but the majority opinion is that it leaves your hair in great condition, while two applications of dye would dry the hair out more, so I tend not to believe it is just a transparent dye. This is a comment by someone who used it:I used to color my hair about once a month and Ive completely stopped because the glaze works so well and doesnt dry out my hair like hair dye does. Lasts through a few shampoos in-between but I notice if I dont use it for a couple weeks I can see the greys again.
Another person is mixing red and brown together to get her grey looking like blonde highlights, so for people with greys and others - products must vary in the time period that the product lasts and in the amount of pigment or ability to deposit color.

Well, this is a lot for someone who knows nothing.
All this has got me interested, now. Good luck, whatever you do.

I just read a review for the John Frieda product. According to that, it is best it seems, on thick hair. Fine hair or thin hair - well, a woman said it feels as though someone spread Crisco on her hair and weighed it down. Someone told her to jump into a chlorine pool to strip it out.

The Frieda product must be applied nearly every shampoo, maybe 2 or 3 times a week. It contains, they said, rinse out conditioners with lots of silicone.

Maybe there are more permanent ones that act more like a dye in that you do them once a month. Salons use more permanent glazes/glosses, I think.

Ok, she tried again but rinsed it really, really good - then found stains on her scalp, got back in the shower and shampooed it out. She loves the way her hair looks (no color was added) and feels. More bouncy, waves, shiny. This is after she shampooed it out. Go figure!

Ah-ha Ok, untreated hair or fine hair - 'they' are recommending to put a plastic cap on and apply heat for 20 min and then allow to come to room temp before rinsing out. This is also recommended for over processed hair.

Last edited by goldengrain; 02-11-2009 at 07:56 PM..

Old 02-12-2009, 06:18 AM

Obviously I'm out of the loop since I have never heard of glazes or protein fillers. I'll get on it.

Thanks!

Old 02-12-2009, 07:30 AM

2,868 posts, read 8,633,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmobizmo View Post
I have two questions actually.

How do you get hair color to stay "true?"
I color every 6-8 weeks and usually by week 4, my hair has taken on a golden hue although I always use "ash" toned light brown color. I use shampoo and conditioner for color-treated hair yet the color fades away to that golden color. I had a similar experience with a salon color job too.

What do you do about those stubborn grey hairs that won't "take" color besides yanking them out?
I always have a handful that refuse to take color, even if I leave the color in a few minutes longer. Their pesky little grey friends lose their color pretty quick also. Usually within 3-4 weeks after coloring.

Does anyone else struggle with their hair color, too? Anybody know how to conquer the hair color problems?

First, what kind of color are you using?
How often are you washing your hair?
Just how grey are you?

Old 02-12-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
First, what kind of color are you using?
How often are you washing your hair?
Just how grey are you?
1. Usually, I use Revlon or Loreal
2. I shampoo/condition daily to remove residue from hairspray and mouse.
3. About 10% grey on top but mostly around my bangs.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:14 PM

8,415 posts, read 35,315,448 times
You are getting brassy is that what you are saying?

Try a shower head filter on your shower. Heavy metals in the water and chemicals do affect hair color.

When it gets brassy you should throw on a toner type shampoo to calm it down. Touch up with a demi/semi perm color at 4 week. MAKE SURE YOU CAN USE IT WITH WHATEVER PERM COLOR YOU CHOOSE. THAT IS VERY IMPORTANTS SO I AM YELLING IT IN ANNOYING CAPS>>RAH RAH...and rah

I have been lucky enough to have the greys that bow down to semi perm color. Hope you do too.

Since the grey is in your bangs...What would you think of some face framing highlights with your normal color thrown over it? That is a really nice way to blend in grey and perk up a face in the process. Ask your stylist about it.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
You are getting brassy is that what you are saying?

Try a shower head filter on your shower. Heavy metals in the water and chemicals do affect hair color.

When it gets brassy you should throw on a toner type shampoo to calm it down. Touch up with a demi/semi perm color at 4 week. MAKE SURE YOU CAN USE IT WITH WHATEVER PERM COLOR YOU CHOOSE. THAT IS VERY IMPORTANTS SO I AM YELLING IT IN ANNOYING CAPS>>RAH RAH...and rah

I have been lucky enough to have the greys that bow down to semi perm color. Hope you do too.

Since the grey is in your bangs...What would you think of some face framing highlights with your normal color thrown over it? That is a really nice way to blend in grey and perk up a face in the process. Ask your stylist about it.
Brassy! That's what you call it.
I couldn't think of the term earlier.

What is a "toner " shampoo? I use a "Biolage" shampoo specifically for color-treated hair. Is that what you mean?
If it is different, do you get it at the salon or is it available OTC?

I did think about doing highlights to frame my face. Would you suggest a highlighting kit or just a much lighter hair color for those areas?

Old 02-12-2009, 04:22 PM

809 posts, read 2,600,051 times
they make a "color" shampoo and conditioner that LITERALLY has color in it....... I believe it's called "Artec". You can get it at Ulta...... you can get it in purple (for blondes), red (for reds and certain brunettes), brown (for brunettes)........ the shampoo AND conditioner both deposit a LITTLE bit of color everytime you use it so it's kind of like toning your hair. (You'd prolly want to do one of the red colors)

I use to use it ALLLL the time when I had really blonde hair. I'd use the purple one every third shampoo so my hair would stay a pretty blonde and not get brassy. (I wouldn't use it EVERY shampoo because blonde hair is REALLY porous and it would've SUCKED up the purple and I would've had slightly tinted purple hair! :P)

ALSO: This is what I'm doing currently. I got my hair dyed REALLY close to my natural color (With a few "hidden" highlights just so my hair had some dimension) and NOW I'm letting it grow out..... So since the colored part is really close to my natural color you won't be able to see my roots. I'm going to grow it out for 6-12 months before I consider coloring again. I'm giving my hair a rest (and plus I'd like to see my natural hair color again! )

Old 02-13-2009, 09:21 AM

12,408 posts, read 16,477,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
MAKE SURE YOU CAN USE IT WITH WHATEVER PERM COLOR YOU CHOOSE. THAT IS VERY IMPORTANTS SO I AM YELLING IT IN ANNOYING CAPS>>RAH RAH...and rah
I appreciate your comments. Could you please expand upon that remark a bit?
Are you saying that different 'home' hair dyes are constructed out of differing chemicals that may not 'mix' well with other treatments?

Like, I stay away from henna products because I am told they have this problem. Do others?

Old 02-13-2009, 10:06 AM

2,868 posts, read 8,633,781 times
Make sure you're using a perm. hair color. Not temporary.
If you're going to wash your hair everyday, use a VERY mild shampoo. Or you can use a shampoo that deposits color as well. I would only use that when you start to see your color fading. Color depositing shampoo is harsher then gentle balsam shampoo...(Baby Shampoo is very mild).
If there is a SALLY'S by you,,,they sell little ampules you can mix into your color mixture...Fillers. They are in the same isle with all the other coloring stuff...There is one specific to grey coverage. You take this ampule and mix it into your color mixture and apply as normal.

The thing with grey is it is transparent hair. It has zero pigmentation. So for the best coverage, you need to add a little bit so your hair color will grab onto that added pigmentation. Hence increasing your grey coverage and making it last longer.

I would also suggest going to SALLY'S and getting hair color from them...Only because you can pick a stronger developer....(and get your little ampule too).

What color is your natural color?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or