U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2009, 06:35 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,097,705 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I went to the Aveda Institute near me to get my color done today. I was planning on single-process all over color and highlights. My hair is currently medium brown. I wanted to go to light brown with blondish highlights.

I talked to the student stylist, she was good with what I wanted, then she had to get her instructor's approval. The instructor asked why I wanted all-over color like I was crazy! When I said I wanted to go lighter, she said we could acheive the same look with a lot of highlights. I said I preferred the all-over lighter brown color, and she said they are only able to go one shade lighter then your natural color; that I could try to go lighter but they wouldn't guarantee what color it may turn out, it could turn out any color, and that as a practice they will only go one shade down.

Is this normal??? I know so many girls with medium/dark brown hair that are always 2-3 shades lighter and it looks fine! She said something about how their color doesn't strip or something, so is this just an Aveda thing?

I ended up just doing the highlights, and it's terrible! Basically my same brown color but with these almost frosted/sparkly light brown highlights even though I said I wanted it to all blend really well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 08:30 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,358,684 times
you know what they say,"those who can't,teach". Yes,you could have had what you wanted.It is done all the time.Unfortunately,the "instuctor" didn't know how to do it,or, for whatever reason didn't want the student to do it.It would have been a two step process, first, apply all over color to lighten all your hair,then highlight over that.Or,it could have been foiled,and then colored in between the foils.But,to be fair,I cannot see your hair,so can't lay blame completely.Maybe she felt your hair was not in good enough condition to do it.It may be able to be changed though.Find a good colorist in a salon,and see what they say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or