U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 01:41 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,258,028 times

Advertisements

I have been known to buy bar soaps meant for babies (Johnson's, Yardley) and use it as shampoo. I just lather the bar in my hands and use the lather to wash my hair. It's very mild, lightly scented (or not at all), last forever, and has no plastic packaging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 01:51 PM

6,028 posts, read 13,105,072 times
You can buy shampoo and conditioner in bulk in most good grocery stores now (natural food stores, Whole Foods, etc.), ones that are made with earth-friendly ingredients that do not pollute our water. Refilling and reusing your own containers over and over again is even better than reducing, yet still buying, new plastic bottles when you run out of "'poo"... I've found that it saves movey by buying in bulk and refilling my own container, too. We buy our body soap that we use for washing hands at sinks and our body in the shower this way, too. (Dr. Bronner's unscented...) Saves you money and is better for the environment for several reasons... also check to see whether the products are tested on animals...

Old 04-16-2009, 03:12 PM

617 posts, read 1,898,100 times
I've been doing no-poo for years and have turned on friends to it. When you stop using silicones, you don't have the need for the harsh detergents. My only two hair products are Suave Naturals conditioner and Organic Root Stimulator Lock & Twist Gel.

I didn't switch to no-poo because of the environment or because I'm anti-chemical. This is what works best for my curly hair.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:38 AM

4,267 posts, read 5,300,021 times
I've been doing no poo for a couple of months now. I did it out of curiosity, to save money and to cut down on my use of harsh chemicals.

I used to wash with shampoo and conditioner everyday prior to doing this. Now I wash with baking soda (1Tbs. Baking soda to 1 Cup of water) and an apple cider vinegar rinse (I Tbs. raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar per 1 Cup of water) every 4th day or so. My hair has never felt and looked better. It used to be very dry with a lot of fly aways and would get greasy if I didn't wash it every day, now I can go 4 days between washings and it does not look or feel greasy. It feels thicker and the natural wave looks nice when before it was totally unmanageable. I know that this doesn't work for everyone but it's been a fun experiment and I don't see myself ever going back to shampoo as the results have been too good.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:38 AM

19,020 posts, read 25,499,739 times
So..... I hail from a culture where good hair on dudes is the "best" attribute.

I have a recommendation for the people who want to avoid poo and the like.

I gave up on shampoo in my early teens. Reason: I saw the hair on my head flow down with the water. At that rate, I'd have been bald by now.

Back in the day, mom convinced me that I better use what she and all the women in India use. And if it bothered me too much, better stay tight-lipped with the other boys for fear of banter in school. I would later find out that all buggers used this in secrecy, like myself.

15 years on, my mane's thick and am proud of it

Shikakai - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In native sanskrit and saraswati script, it roughly means fruit for the hair. as the name suggests, it not only strengthens hair, it intensifies growth and is sheer magic.

I still get shipments from home once in a while. Mom and my aunts make it naturally from the plants themselves.

You can also get it in Indian stores in the big cities like NYC or LA.

I'm using Shikakai powder to wash my hair, does it help premote new hair growth and is it good? - Yahoo! Answers India

Then there's another. Dunno if anyone's heard of curry leaves.

They roast it, mix it with coconut oil and apply it on the hair. This prevents hair from getting white/gray too fast. And it keeps the hair thick. Again, growing up, I have known mom, aunts, every woman I have known perform this on a daily basis. This is something I'll be planning to do in my thirties. I'll probably hate white hair.

Curry – Just Leaves
Curry leaves boiled with coconut oil can be an effective hair colorant which causes minimum damage and maximum benefit to graying or thinning hair. South Indian women have, for centuries, mixed with the leaves of the China Rose and fenugreek, and applied as a paste to keep hair long, back and gleaming.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,244 times
my hair is straight and very fine. And for a while I've had problems with hair loss (not that I've been going bald, thank God, but it was still frightening). So, I talked to my mom and she told me she knew a woman in her 60-s and she had amazing hair. When she asked her what she did, she said she washed her hair with..an egg. So, I did some research online and found a lot of topics on shampoo-free hair wash. I picked the one which I was pretty much sure would work, because several years ago I had made a hair mask of it, and my hair had been amazing! I felt like a girl from hair-care commercial. It was bread. You pour hot (but not boiling) water on rye bread (without crust; the cheaper the bread the better as it does not contain any artificial ingredients to stay fresh longer) and let it stay for an hour. After that you rub bread through your hands as if grounding it and apply on your hair. Wrap your hair into plastic bag and towel for 15 minutes and then apply some water on your hair, rub the scalp with finger tips and rinse it off. No shampoo or conditioner is needed! The first couple of times my hair got greasy rather quick (on the second day I really needed to wash it again but the longer you do it, the less washing it requires). I still wash it every third-fourth day. But now I also add an egg yolk (to nourish my hair better) and some coffee to it (I have dark hair) and my hair has NEVER!!!! looked better!!!! I can hardly keep my hands off of it! It has become sooo silky and shiny!! I loose much less hair as well! I love it! I know for sure: I am not coming back to shampoos and conditioners! Never!
This is a bit time consuming, but this is soo worth it!

Last edited by lihelbi; 09-18-2010 at 03:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care