U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2009, 07:22 AM

302 posts, read 1,504,793 times

Advertisements

I've posted here before about my very thick, coarse, wavy hair. I also have to add permanent color to cover all the grey, which I do myself at home. It was recommended to me to try Ouidad products & a Ouidad-trained hairstylist for the "Carve & Slice" haircut for curly/wavy hair. Luckily, here in the Charlotte NC area there's a Ouidad-certified salon w/ a couple of Ouidad-trained stylists. It's much more expensive than what I'd prefer paying but I'm willing to try it.

Then, the salon told me that at the first Ouidad haircut, it's a requirement that they do a Ouidad deep conditioning treatment (for $55!) right before the $105 haircut. So, in spite of the high cost, I was going to set it up but when I told them I was coloring my hair at home that day (day before the appt), they said "Oh, we apply heat & the conditioning treatment opens up your hair cuticles, so it would strip your color."

I postponed the appt because I couldn't get a clear answer on how this deep conditioning treatment would affect my hair color even weeks after the color is applied. Hopefully someone here, especially a professional hairstylist/colorist, can tell me about this: OK to get a deep conditioning treatment w/ heat a week after applying hair color? a week before applying hair color? Yes, my hair tends to be dry & coarse, but right after applying the permanent hair color & conditioner at home, my hair feels it's best: real soft & smooth for at least a few days. (So how about skipping the $55 conditioning treatment & just get the haircut??) Up till now, I've never used heat to condition, usually just shampoo/condition every 3 days (leave conditioner in at least 5 minutes, then rinse out.)

Does my having color-treated hair prevent me from getting any deep conditioning treatments which involve heat? And I'm assuming that a certain percentage of Ouidad customers have color-treated hair, so I can't be the first customer to wonder about this but the person at the salon kinda acted like "that's a new one-- not sure about that." (huh?) With such a high price for these services, you'd think they'd have a ready answer to what must be a common question, right? (And if the answer is uncertain, just give me the haircut without the "required" conditioning treatment!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 12:13 PM

2,638 posts, read 10,911,603 times
Me personally, the "required" deep conditioner for a haircut seems like an arbitrary upsell and I would balk. Then again, my hair grows so fast and is kept so short that I could never justify such expensive haircuts. That's just me, though. It sounds like this is just what you are after, so setting aside my personal feelings - why not just go for it? What's the worst that could happen? You wind up with a great cut, hair in lovely condition, and maybe your color fades. You could easily fix that with a demi color to fill it back in. I have had good luck with the Clairol Complements line.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:58 AM

2,868 posts, read 8,624,230 times
If you do this, do it a week or even a couple of days BEFORE you do your color. Your color will probably do really well a week after the treatment... I personally would try it...see if I like it. A hair cut can ALWAYS be duplicated...Once they do this cut, it will be easy to follow to trim it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or