U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 08:22 PM

212 posts, read 523,676 times
Default Objective Point of View - Red Hair or Blonde Hair

Hey everyone ive a bit of a dilema with my hair colour, ive got a boring colour in which some describe very light brown to very dark blonde (just take a look at profile pic to get the gist). Ive had the same hair colour and hair cut for 21 years and Im ready to take a risk and die it! The dilema is that my friends disagree I would suit a bright copper to red hair, which is what I want. They think I should go for a light blonde. SOoooo which do you prefer blonde or red? Here is a picture of what I want, an objective point of view would be great to help me make up my mind! Thanks everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 02:28 AM

3,239 posts, read 4,471,091 times
Looking at your profile pic, I think the red would look great! You could probably do blond too if you wanted. I think a warm, honey blond would be nice. Too many women who go blond go as light as possible...
Anyway, just do what you want, and if you don't like it you can always change it.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:58 AM

4,551 posts, read 6,164,066 times
I love them both and have been them both I find people usually like the safer choice of blond but I like the wilder choice of red myself If you don't like it you can always change it

Old 05-10-2009, 09:40 AM

5,227 posts, read 6,431,001 times
I'm a big fan of red hair too! Partly because my daughter is a natural redhead, lucky girl.
I think that you might want to start with something a shade or two lighter though (you are the girl in the blue shirt, right?) Just my opinion, but I think some shades of red hair only look right on people with very fair or pale skin tones. Warmer skin tones call for different shades of red. Really hard to tell from pictures, but that hair color looks a little too... deep orange, maybe?
If you start lighter it's easy enough to deepen the color later if you want to.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:49 AM

6,957 posts, read 16,144,113 times
Really, whether or not it would look GOOD is going to depend a lot on your skin tone. My DIL thought she looked good in red. She didn't. in fact, she looked dismal. Her skin had slightly yellowish tinge that foundation couldn't cover up engough. She was great as a blonde.

Red is not a easy color to have. It greatly restricts what color your clothes can be.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:21 AM

2,790 posts, read 3,981,348 times
Red hair is highly prized in my Irish family. As the mother of a red-head and a blonde, and a blonde myself, I think either is great.

Old 05-10-2009, 04:41 PM

314 posts, read 677,054 times
I love the red color you've chosen. I've been a redhead for years and there's a trick to being the "right" red.

If possible, go to a wig salon and try on different shades of red. As a poster pointed out, some red shades can cause your skin color to have a yellow cast to it. Wrong shade! Try other shades until your eyes seem to "pop" and your skin looks amazing. It will when you find the "right" red.

Lipstick and blush can kill the red. You have to play around with shades to avoid skin from looking yellow again. Yep, wrong shades of lipstick and blush can do it as well as hair color.

After researching the reds, if you don't find just the right thing, you may not have the coloring for red. Then, begin with the different shades of blonde.

I happen to have skin the color of Disney's Snow White. People think because I'm so fair that I could go very light blonde. NO! There isn't a shade of blonde at all that looks flattering on me. I've tried them all. But red...oh yeah. Gorgeous!

Much luck to you and I hope you come back and post pics for us all to see.

Old 05-10-2009, 05:05 PM

4,551 posts, read 6,164,066 times
I totally disagree that red restricts the color of clothes you can wear. People used to say that but it is so so not true Unless you always match your shoes to your handbag you don't have to go with the red hair and outfit rule

Old 05-10-2009, 05:33 PM

5,227 posts, read 6,431,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I totally disagree that red restricts the color of clothes you can wear. People used to say that but it is so so not true Unless you always match your shoes to your handbag you don't have to go with the red hair and outfit rule
True, true, my daughter carries off reds, purples, maroons, yellows, corals, all sorts of colors she's not supposed to be able to wear. The only color that look horribly wrong with her coloring are some of the blues and greens. Go figure.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:29 PM

15,206 posts, read 24,835,064 times
Red! But, I'm kind of a dramatic gal anyway. I think you would look stunning with red hair!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care