U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 08:15 PM

21,842 posts, read 23,065,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
sorry I must have mixed yours and maja's post together when I read and thought you didn't have curls.... my mistake.... Why would it surprise you that I would be frustrated by that the curls on my head are something Fashion is fighting agains?
It doesn't surprise me that you're frustrated, just that this appears to be the first time you are running into this frustration that most women I know live with daily and have for years. We are not tall, enough, skinny enough, chesty enough or too chesty. Our hair is the wrong texture, we are too tan, too pale, too curly, too straight...blah blah blah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 08:34 PM

5,384 posts, read 9,777,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
It doesn't surprise me that you're frustrated, just that this appears to be the first time you are running into this frustration that most women I know live with daily and have for years. We are not tall, enough, skinny enough, chesty enough or too chesty. Our hair is the wrong texture, we are too tan, too pale, too curly, too straight...blah blah blah.
curly hair has been an issue my whole life.... since I have been living with it for 31 years... but it isn't a bad thing. I love my hair..... I just find it incredibly annoying to pick up a magazine and not find a TRUE picture of a curly haired model in it.... or when it is a section about hair and they do a curly haired pc and they show a person who has VERY loose curls that are barely even there or she has really curly hair normally and has had them loosened for the photo..... so they are almost nonexistent. It would be so nice to see some true photos of actually curly haired models... real life styles and have some actual advice on how to do everyday hair! get back to basics!

Old 05-28-2009, 08:42 PM

21,842 posts, read 23,065,467 times
I'll let you know when I find the fashion mags that feature women with short legs and wide feet. It isn't a bad thing either - it just is. I find it incredibly annoying that I can rarely find pants that have short legs: IF they have leg lengths at all it generally goes like this: long, average then petite -which are cut differently. I need a short, not petite. Just one of those things. I would love to have Cosmo feature sexy shoes that came in an 8D...but I gave up being frustrated over it. It just ain't gonna happen. If your only frustration is that the trend right now doesn't embrace your curls ...I do understand it - I've lived with it for 47 years. It will come around again but then it will just be something else.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:48 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,291,174 times
I think the trend is for straight hair these days; there was a dress-up event at my work recently, held immediately after work. Two younger (early 20s) coworkers and I were hastily getting changed in the bathroom. I was working on getting my lipstick and mascara on; these two had each brought a straightening iron, and were straightening their hair! Which was straight already, I should add.
I mentioned to them that I found this odd; most women my age, with only ten minutes to make themselves pretty, will reach for some sort of cosmetic. These girls were primarily focused on getting their hair straighter than it already was.
One of them then told me that if she were only allowed one beauty aid for the rest of her life, it would definitely be her straightening iron!
I don't really get the point of it all; as I said, both already had straight hair, and in my opinion all the heat-straightening did was make their hair look sort of flat and lank. I thought it looked a lot better before.

I think it's just the style right now.

Back in the 80s, when I was a teenager, long hair worn in curly ringlets was the style, and straight-haired girls got perms to achieve this look.
Straight-haired girls like me, at the very least, used curling irons.

Now the pendulum has swung the opposite direction; as in the 60s, long, straight, flat, lank hair is back in style: the flatter, the better, apparently.
My personal preference, from a purely aesthetic viewpoint, is thick, straight, natural hair, with some body and bounce to it (which is totally lost when one uses a straightening iron).

Old 05-28-2009, 08:56 PM

6,307 posts, read 7,424,737 times
Quote:
real life styles and have some actual advice on how to do everyday hair! get back to basics!
I couldn't have said it better myself.

Just today outside my office, I saw this woman walking by who had *obviously* tried to straighten her hair, and had either gotten tired of it halfway through, or had simply succumbed to the local Pacific Northwest weather. It looked awful. (You gals *know* what I'm talking about, I'm sure.)

I see this so often here. In fact, as I was sitting on the bus this morning, I took a look around. There was one other woman with curly hair, and it was a pretty lame perm.

Personally, I'm OVER trying to change what nature gave me. (And, I'm sick and tired of my boyfriend trying to convince me to get chemical straightening, but that's another story.) It would be awfully nice to be able to get some good advice on how to make what I have look its best, and not to be goaded into trying to change it.

I shudder at the idea of spending an hour a day on my hair (give or take). I'm a wash-and-go type of gal. I guess the "flat iron lobby" has gotten their talons into the fashion world. Let's all hope that this changes soon.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:13 PM

5,384 posts, read 9,777,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
I couldn't have said it better myself.

Just today outside my office, I saw this woman walking by who had *obviously* tried to straighten her hair, and had either gotten tired of it halfway through, or had simply succumbed to the local Pacific Northwest weather. It looked awful. (You gals *know* what I'm talking about, I'm sure.)

I see this so often here. In fact, as I was sitting on the bus this morning, I took a look around. There was one other woman with curly hair, and it was a pretty lame perm.

Personally, I'm OVER trying to change what nature gave me. (And, I'm sick and tired of my boyfriend trying to convince me to get chemical straightening, but that's another story.) It would be awfully nice to be able to get some good advice on how to make what I have look its best, and not to be goaded into trying to change it.

I shudder at the idea of spending an hour a day on my hair (give or take). I'm a wash-and-go type of gal. I guess the "flat iron lobby" has gotten their talons into the fashion world. Let's all hope that this changes soon.
I know that problem..... when you spent all that time flattening your hair and you get caught in the rain and it starts to krimp up! lol....poor woman! I agree.... The flat iron lobby needs to hit the road! Hopefully if the media hear enough curly haired people make enough of a stink they will change things.....

Old 05-28-2009, 09:17 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,206,001 times
As a male I will say I frickin love women with curly hair...
Naturally curly not the fake stuff!

Old 05-28-2009, 09:19 PM

6,307 posts, read 7,424,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540_804 View Post
As a male I will say I frickin love women with curly hair...
Naturally curly not the fake stuff!
Marry me?

Old 05-28-2009, 09:26 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,807,139 times
Quote:
I have curls and am always trying to work with ringlest. I have noticed when a magazine is describing CURLS it is always WAVES or a curl that has been blown out.... never a true curl or ringlet. Is anyone else noticing this? And when they show someone who has curly hair getting a makeover in a magazine do you notice they always straighten her hair???? instead of working with her curls and showing her HOW to do her hair? Does anyone else find this as frustrating as I do or is it just me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
I think the trend is for straight hair these days; there was a dress-up event at my work recently, held immediately after work. Two younger (early 20s) coworkers and I were hastily getting changed in the bathroom. I was working on getting my lipstick and mascara on; these two had each brought a straightening iron, and were straightening their hair! Which was straight already, I should add.
I mentioned to them that I found this odd; most women my age, with only ten minutes to make themselves pretty, will reach for some sort of cosmetic. These girls were primarily focused on getting their hair straighter than it already was.
One of them then told me that if she were only allowed one beauty aid for the rest of her life, it would definitely be her straightening iron!
I don't really get the point of it all; as I said, both already had straight hair, and in my opinion all the heat-straightening did was make their hair look sort of flat and lank. I thought it looked a lot better before.

I think it's just the style right now.

Back in the 80s, when I was a teenager, long hair worn in curly ringlets was the style, and straight-haired girls got perms to achieve this look.
Straight-haired girls like me, at the very least, used curling irons.

Now the pendulum has swung the opposite direction; as in the 60s, long, straight, flat, lank hair is back in style: the flatter, the better, apparently.
My personal preference, from a purely aesthetic viewpoint, is thick, straight, natural hair, with some body and bounce to it (which is totally lost when one uses a straightening iron).

Having straight hair is like having a tan, it shows that you have a lot of free time on your hands to get those two looks, which signals to people that you come from money. When you really break it down, it's not that way at all.

See, you used to have to be able to have time to go lay on the beach or spend money at a tanning salon and have a lot of time or pay for or a lot of help to blow your hair out. Those two styles (tan and straight hair) became very popular, so companies invented creams and machines that make these jobs easier and cheaper. But the idea in everyone's head is still the same - that you must have money to do these things. It hasn't caught up to people that just about anyone can do them now. When it does, fashion will change again.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:31 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,291,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
Having straight hair is like having a tan, it shows that you have a lot of free time on your hands to get those two looks, which signals to people that you come from money. When you really break it down, it's not that way at all.

See, you used to have to be able to have time to go lay on the beach or spend money at a tanning salon and have a lot of time or pay for or a lot of help to blow your hair out. Those two styles (tan and straight hair) became very popular, so companies invented creams and machines that make these jobs easier and cheaper. But the idea in everyone's head is still the same - that you must have money to do these things. It hasn't caught up to people that just about anyone can do them now. When it does, fashion will change again.

Having straight hair signifies affluence, ie that you have a lot of time on your hands?

I don't know; I agree with you that's what "tans" are about (they actually became popular in the middle of the last century, when having a tan signified that you were part of the "jet-setting" crowd and could afford to fly off to exotic vacation spots), but I think naturally straight hair is actually much more common than naturally curly hair. Not to mention that, as I said, the pendulum swings: 60s- straight hair was in, 80s- curly hair was in, 2000s- straight hair is in. I'm sure that within a couple of years, curly hair will be back in, and women will be lining up for perms like they did in 1986.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care