Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 07:01 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,929,427 times

Advertisements

I have long (mid back, almost to my butt at the longest point) hair and I've been cutting my hair myself at home probably for about 8 years or so now. When it's damp (not soaking wet, I have waves and I like to see where they'll be forming before I cut) I part my hair and its natural point (a little to the left of center) and trim at sort of a backwards V shape... so it's a little (like 1/2'') longer in the back. I do this about every other month or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 09:55 AM

1,075 posts, read 4,310,497 times
I've been cutting mine my whole life, .. although there are times when I don't want to step out the door for days on end.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:09 AM

727 posts, read 1,891,044 times
I dont do too bad with cutting my own hair......I go to my barber for haircuts mostly but I have the ability to cut my own hair!!

Old 06-30-2009, 05:20 AM

25,957 posts, read 22,107,325 times
Wahl carries a special clipper for cutting your own hair and Norelco/Philips is coming out with one in August - both are angled in a special way. Also, the one I like that I had to order from Canada is going to be available soon I am going to pre-order one since our other one is aging out. Just bought a clipper to give my dog a summer clip.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:43 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,267,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
I have heard from many of my friends that they have decided to give up on fancy salon haircuts. Many have gone from the $60 salon haircut to the cheap $18 cut at Supercuts, Fantastic Sams and the Haircuttery. Others have decided that in today's terrible economy even a budget salon is just to expensive and have moved to the $7 beauty school cut. The final solution is to either just shave it all off or go the home haircut route.

What do you think of home haircuts and have they been a possible solution to the terrible economy for you or your family and friends?
Some people may be able to master it, but every time I've tried to even do much more than a trim of the length, I've been sorry. Real sorry!

Old 07-01-2009, 11:30 AM

223 posts, read 615,951 times
Well, I had to use a personal day from work last week because I tried to give myself a cut. Let's just say it did NOT come out too well. But knowing me, I'll probably still try again though.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:39 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,969,250 times
I have been doing my own for years and will sometimes do my husbands.

My essentials are a good pair of very sharp scissors, some large (alligator) clips to hold hair back, and for doing myself (short hair) I need my special configuration of mirrors in the bathroom. My vanity has a medicine cabinet with mirror on the side wall. It opens with the hinge facing the corner. My large vanity mirror also has a side door in a section which has the hinge facing the same corner.

This way I can pretty much see my whole head by just positioning the doors the way I like them. My two hands are free to cut.

If you search 'haircutting' on utube there are lots of demos.

I clip my hair up, but for about an inch in the back hairline. I wet that so it all stays straight so I can cut it evenly. Holding my head slightly down I cut a spot (maybe and inch or two) right at the nape, making sure this is even. Then I measure some length under an ear where I want the hairline and, keeping it flat, just cut so it meets the center cut at the nape. I do the same for the other side. I fuss with this, pressing it against my neck with a comb, making sure it is even.

Then, I let down a little of the hair above that was pinned up and hold that with the hair I've just cut at an angle from the scalp between my fingers. I trim the new hair to meet the cut stuff. The trick, when you do this around your head, it to keep the angle the same on left and right so you are not cutting it too short on one side.

You can do the whole back this way, but as you go up the head the hairs should be longer.

The sides can be pulled down to the earlobes and cut and then combed forward toward the middle of the face and trimmed again to have a more layered look. So long as the cuts on both sides are measured to the same feature on the face you should be ok.

Like, if my hair is wet (it kind of looks shorter when it dries) I might cut my bangs just to the top of my eyelids.

There are different ways to cut hair, but I would look at a few utube demos and find one you are comfortable with and try it. It always grows back in.

When you are starting, always cut less.
I cut my hair and maybe the next day or so go back and even it out or make adjustments here and there.

Old 07-03-2009, 04:30 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,319,731 times
I am not adept with cutting hair. Would never consider it. Even to trim my bangs in between hair cuts takes forever. Comes out ok after reading and reading on the net. All I know it's not in my chemistry to cut hair-you should see my old Barbie Dolls!!

Old 07-03-2009, 06:26 PM

914 posts, read 4,444,619 times
I cut my boyfriend's hair. He was cutting his own when we got together and was, frankly, doing a very poor job (Mostly because he didn't use a mirror. Men.) so he asked me to do it. The first few times I cut his hair weren't spectacular, but I've gotten pretty good.

My boyfriend cuts my hair as well, although if I am in the mood for a more stylish cut, sometimes I will go to a salon. He is blunt cut type of guy. I don't think I would be very good at cutting my own hair, so I've never tried it.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:24 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,969,250 times
If you cut the 'outside' hair well, I mean the stuff that frames your face and the neckline, everything else is sort of measured against that, but tapering a little. I notice on the Utube that the experienced people seem not to do this so they are not giving good instructions for beginners, in fact, it looks confusing.

I, in my youth, spent vacations down the shore. I used to go to a barber to cut my hair, a very nice elderly old-fashioined Italian guy. I used to ask him about hair cutting often until he trained me to do my own. A simple, basic, style, but serviceable. I would end up, a few times, coming into his shop and having him supervise as I cut my own. I would then insist on paying him for the cut, but it was worth much more to me, not to have to spend hours of my life in salons, inhaling the fumes and waiting and sometimes getting what I had not had in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care