U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2009, 06:10 AM

27,236 posts, read 40,273,555 times

Advertisements

Whenever I grow in a mustache or beard, my skin has a terrible reaction to it. It starts flaking. I've tried washing it several times a day...both with, and without, soap. I've tried lotions. Even after shaving it, the skin is red and irritated for a few days afterwards, kind of scabs up, then heals. Only happens when I have hair there...after a few days.

I suppose I'm doomed to being clean shaven the rest of my life (not that it's such a bad thing).
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 09:38 AM

2,868 posts, read 8,445,520 times
Some things you should try...

Wash it with a dandruff shampoo.
Run some Sea Breeze through it after you shower.
Try using Whitch Hazel after you shower...

Don't try all of these at once...try one at a time.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:34 PM

Oh, the dandruff shampoo I've also tried...it's almost as if my skin has an allergic reaction to me having hair there.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:53 PM

4,754 posts, read 4,092,415 times
You might just be having a buildup of dry/flaking skin. Remember, our skin cells constantly turn over and that skin has to go somewhere. When you shave, you are exfoliating your face, but when you stop shaving the skin doesn't stop turning over. A few times a week when you are in the shower, scrub your beard, making sure you get down to the skin, with your fingernails - I don't mean hurt yourself! - just like you were giving a vigorous back scratching. Wash your beard too, with a gentle soap (I think a liquid castile soap would be ideal here) and then comb/brush out all that dead skin that builds up. I bet it will help a lot!

Old 06-12-2009, 07:38 AM

2,638 posts, read 10,498,214 times
Quote:
Whenever I grow in a mustache or beard, my skin has a terrible reaction to it. It starts flaking. I've tried washing it several times a day...both with, and without, soap. I've tried lotions. Even after shaving it, the skin is red and irritated for a few days afterwards, kind of scabs up, then heals. Only happens when I have hair there...after a few days.
The same thing happens to my husband. It is probably seborrheic dermatitis. Regular use of a dandruff shampoo on all effected areas should keep it in check. There are lots of different types and brands on the market, so try a different type if one doesn't work or irritates your skin. I get the 'classic clean' Head & Shoulders shampoo/conditioner combo for him.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:47 PM

19,022 posts, read 24,683,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post

I suppose I'm doomed to being clean shaven the rest of my life (not that it's such a bad thing).
Ah come on, TK, they always told me I look 10 years older if I grow a beard.

Beards suck

Clean chin is the zing thing.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:45 AM

I've shaved my head too. It's too hot in Florida to have any kind of hair--at least not in the summer.

It stinks to be at work, and think they don't have the AC on--and then find out how wrong you are when you DO go outside!

Old 01-17-2012, 05:29 PM

1 posts, read 13,714 times
I have the same kind of problem I got some info somewhere online
And someone suggested I try vinegar just plain white vinegar And it cleared it up in 2 days I just
soak my facial hair at nite and it works great can't hurt to try well burns a little. But that's all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care