Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 09:21 PM

119 posts, read 524,799 times

Advertisements

My hair has looked bad every day for the last 18 months except a few days when I was up north. Every morning I style my hair and walk outside and it's ruined, hangs limp, deflated and frizzy. I look around with wonder at how other ladies can keep their hair looking decent. I am about to shave my head. Any ideas? I have dark wavy hair. When I flatten it the roots get super frizzy. When I curl it the curls drop and hang limply and it looks horrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 05:51 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
How about a pony tail or putting it up with a clip and using hairspray to set it?

Old 06-25-2009, 07:45 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,348,207 times
Get a gel that is made for wavy hair. After washing and towel drying hair and before blow drying, scrunch this gel through your hair. Take your hair dryer and and while blowing dry, scrunch with your hands throughout your hair until dry (turning head upside down if need be). Right before you are done, spray a little hair spray throughout and do one final scrunching (to set the waves). If you have bangs, just blow dry them with a round brush for a soft look then set everything with more spray.

I did this for our vacation this past week in Orlando and even in the humidity and wind-blown activities, it still looked pretty good (and my hair is not that naturally wavy to begin with).

Old 06-25-2009, 07:46 AM

809 posts, read 3,569,859 times
Have you tried a flat iron to straighten it? The chi iron has done wonders for me, but any high quality ceramic iron should do.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:47 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,632,650 times
If you want it to be curly, try the John Frieda "dream curls" spray. It's really light and just gives the curls some definition without weighing them down. The girls I know with curly hair who want it straight seem to all either go through a long involved blowdrying + flat iron regimen with tons of hairspray, or they get the Japanese hair straightening. Good luck!

Old 06-26-2009, 09:51 AM

1,075 posts, read 4,311,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJS1981 View Post
My hair has looked bad every day for the last 18 months except a few days when I was up north. Every morning I style my hair and walk outside and it's ruined, hangs limp, deflated and frizzy. I look around with wonder at how other ladies can keep their hair looking decent. I am about to shave my head. Any ideas? I have dark wavy hair. When I flatten it the roots get super frizzy. When I curl it the curls drop and hang limply and it looks horrible.

How about we trade? .. you can have my limp, deflated straight hair.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:30 PM

394 posts, read 1,506,469 times
Sabino hair products are made for maintaining a hair style in humid climates. I love them and they have great customer service too. I've only found them on the web at www.sabinohair.com

Old 06-29-2009, 01:23 PM

85 posts, read 317,200 times
This is what I would do, since my hair tends to get frizzy sometimes and is very wavy too.
I use a deep conditioner 1-2 times a week, as I feel I need it.
Work an anti-frizz creme through your hair while damp.
When and if you blow-dry(and this helps for me), blow dry straight down but also flip your hair over while you bend down and "scrunch" your roots up a bit. If this doesn't really help you could try a root booster. Flat ironing helps, but if you want a little more curl that day you could also try an ionic curler. I bought one from Revlon in a pinch when mine broke and I really love it. It's affordable but gives great curl. A loose perm can also help you add some volume. Working some chunky layers in also works for me, to give the appearance of a little more volume.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:15 AM

11,169 posts, read 10,651,499 times
Only thing that works for me in this FL humidity are Bedhead products (Queen for a Day thickening spray REALLY helps from the root with lift to fight the drab, without that crunchy chemical look or feel) - and liquid silk when I straighten it.

Old 07-25-2009, 02:40 PM

285 posts, read 927,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJS1981 View Post
My wife was forever trying many of the same things you have, flat iron, curling iron. curlers. The same as you she would step outside to go to work and by the time she gets there, all of her styling work is gone. She decided to get it chemically straightened. That was all she needed. Granted if she wants to ad curl to it alot of times it doesn't last but at least she still looks good b/c of the straightening, NO Frizzies! Just a thought. Something to look into. Every 6-7 months she gets it touched up at the top of her head.

Last edited by Matt2225; 07-25-2009 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care