U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2009, 02:45 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,155,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
Just wanted to post the link to the trailer of Chris Rock's Good Hair documentary. I think it comes out in Oct

YouTube - Good Hair ft. Chris Rock- HD Official Trailer

Thank you so much for posting this. I will definitely check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
You're a little wrong. Pls learn about the history of other cultures since everyone else also has serious cultural issues that lead the women especially to alter their appearance in some crazy ways. I was going to post about my adult acne (I just broke out MAN what’s up with that ) but I saw this thread and it’s tantalizing.

Koreans Seeking Beauty – Small face, Big…Eyes

It sounds weird, but a lot of Koreans are really into having a “small” head, a “v-line” chin and a wide mouth. Many Koreans naturally have a wider face, with a square jaw and I guess a smaller mouth than some other Asians. Any native Koreans out there can refute if they want to.

Chins Noses Eyes…Oh My!

The girls spend tons of money on plastic surgery to achieve beauty. To me this is akin to a hair relaxer etc. for “black” people. Plastic surgery is BIG in Japan, China and Korea. The surgeons are really, good too (probably because they get a lot of practice).

I found out while working there that teenage girls pool their money to get surgery and almost every girl gets eyelid surgery once she gets to a certain age. This was a little strange, because my Asian friends for the most part in the US have natural eyes. I think they are cute.

As a “westerner” I also think that a square jaw is attractive, esp on a guy but Koreans apparently hate it and many people now get surgery to get a “v-line” jaw which involves shaving the bone under the skin! The upside as I mentioned is that the surgeons seem to be excellent, and most of the surgery would not even have been noticeable to me because it looks so natural. I think the whole small face thing comes from the Japanese. A lot of people also have a fetish about big eyes. I mean a BIG fetish, like big b@@bs or a big a$$ for some men in our culture.

Finally, people love the high nose-bridge look so even guys get this surgery. This makes me feel bad, because I always thought it was cool that some of my asian friends have the same flat nose I do. Woo hoo. Now I know they all hate it. Boo hoo. L

So girls get eyelid surgery and surgery to make the eye bigger overall. Some of the girls on TV had ENORMOUS eyes. Almost like Anime. Ooh so $exy. So, I just wish black women would stop having a complex. All women do this crap, so making us feel guilty is counter-productive.

Fake is Allright

I have natural hair, but if people want to have perms that doesn’t make me upset. The only thing I hate about perms etc. is the effect on the environment. I also like my dark skin, but I don’t care if people bleach their skin. BTW ultra-white skin is also BIG in asia. And I would say next to some African countries, Asians are the Kings of skin bleach. In Korea beautiful woman should have paper-white skin and skin whitening products were sold in everything (facewash, makeup, toner) when I was there. I even saw a girl like Michael Jackson with gloves and some weirdo hat on. I assume she was keeping her skin fashionably white… Ha ha ha Sigh. Her boyfriend did look very well off, so maybe there’s something to that. Anyway, I heard it’s the same in India, Japan, Singapore etc.

So again, black women, if you want to use fake hair or bleach up your skin. Go ahead. Just don’t make people who want to look natural feel bad about themselves. I would say that “human” hair is probably better for the environment, though. But feel free to be as fake as you wanna.

Caucs “Fake It “Too

Also, almost every “blond” I know is a bottle blond, which used to shock me, but not any more. In general white men seem to really prefer very skinny, blond women with overly-large bre@sts so a lot of women go through danger and pain to get this look to attract the guys. During my study of Medeival history (I’m kind of a buff of European Middle Ages as well as Korean Culture, which in spite of all the surgery is extremely cool) I found out that Western Europeans have prized that type of look for several thousand years. Anyway, remember all those women who died using diet pills? That’s just as crazy as anything my black ladies have done. Also, hair dye has been linked to cancer, but how many women would stop “helping” to regain their childhood fair-colored hair? Finally, how many women get silicone tatas even though that stuff can cause serious health problems? How many black women would do that?
This is off topic. This thread is not about what other races of women do to their bodies.......this thread is about the black women and the natural hair movement! As I have said many times........if other races jump off of a bridge.......does this mean that black women have to follow and do it too Using what other races of women do to their bodies to justify what black women do.......in my opinion is just a poor excuse. I could care less about learning the reasons behind why other races of women alter their bodies.........I am a member of the black race and that is the race that we are supposed to be discussing here.

None of these women that you try to compare to black women share the same 400 year history of slavery. If the post is not from a black woman who is natural or considering going natural.........then the post has no place on this thread...........let's stay on topic!

Last edited by NewYorkBorn; 08-08-2009 at 02:59 PM..

Old 08-08-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrown17 View Post
It would be great to see more responses from women who want to discuss the natural hair movement. You know, like actually staying on topic?
Amen to that!
What I have begun to do is to report these off topic posts to the moderator and asked that they be removed.......they have no place on this thread.

Old 08-08-2009, 04:23 PM

17,611 posts, read 18,976,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Amen to that!
What I have begun to do is to report these off topic posts to the moderator and asked that they be removed.......they have no place on this thread.

Well....back on topic!

I am loving my natural hair! My scalp is healthier than when I was relaxing and my hair strands are now super strong.

It has been a very rewarding but trying journey. From making the decision to stop relaxing through transitioning (out of the partial relaxed/partil natural hair) and moving into 100% healthy natural afro-textured hair. My goal is to grow my natural afro-textured hair (currently approaching shoulder length) to midback length (and yes it is 100% possible to grow afro hair long)

Old 08-08-2009, 05:43 PM

36,940 posts, read 45,376,262 times
I'm white, but I think it's always better to just let one's hair be the way it wants. Why should you have to spend a lot of money to make it any other way? My hair is wavy, but I just get it cut accordingly, and let it fly. It's too much work to do otherwise.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:35 PM

49 posts, read 119,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Too bad there are not more who think like you in corporate america and other areas of society.

Also too bad that many black women do not share your views regarding the beauty of their natural hair texture. I also see the beauty in the natural hair texture. This all boils down to years of PROPAGANDA AND BRAINWASHING that we must heal from.
As a Hispanic woman that has African heritage, wearing my naturally curly hair has become a political statement often. I've even had to sue because I was discriminated against for wearing my hair the way God made it. I refuse to wear my hair a certain way for a few dollars. I've straightened my hair, but its been for fashion reasons. I've colored it in most colors except wheat blonde and cut it every shape possible. But I find that wearing your hair like the journalists on TV just to be accepted despicable. All hair is beautiful if you care for it properly.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorada19 View Post
As a Hispanic woman that has African heritage, wearing my naturally curly hair has become a political statement often. I've even had to sue because I was discriminated against for wearing my hair the way God made it. I refuse to wear my hair a certain way for a few dollars. I've straightened my hair, but its been for fashion reasons. I've colored it in most colors except wheat blonde and cut it every shape possible. But I find that wearing your hair like the journalists on TV just to be accepted despicable. All hair is beautiful if you care for it properly.
Good for you, I hope you won the law suit. This is what more people need to understand......if they issue is discrimination based on someone deciding to wear their hair the way it naturally grows out of their head.........then those that are having that problem need to sue these companies and then the madness will stop! Have heard so many women of color say that they continue to relax their hair for fear that if they wear their natural hair they will lose out on career opportunities.

In my opinion anything that puts pressure on a group of people to alter themselves from the way God created them just can not be a positive thing.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Well....back on topic!

I am loving my natural hair! My scalp is healthier than when I was relaxing and my hair strands are now super strong.

It has been a very rewarding but trying journey. From making the decision to stop relaxing through transitioning (out of the partial relaxed/partil natural hair) and moving into 100% healthy natural afro-textured hair. My goal is to grow my natural afro-textured hair (currently approaching shoulder length) to midback length (and yes it is 100% possible to grow afro hair long)
It is wonderful that you are enjoying your natural hair. I am definitely enjoying mine, and having the strength to go against what is considered the norm and wear my natural hair has caused me to learn so much more about who I am as a person........wish I would have woken up years ago and stopped with the relaxing........all of the nonsense that came along with changing myself was really not worth all of the extra work.

This is why I enjoy having these discussions on this thread.......love speaking to other women who are trailblazers and have decided to take their freedom back!

Old 08-10-2009, 10:27 AM

12,256 posts, read 16,167,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YBF View Post
Its so funny that I came across this post. Its been blogged about alot lately and I have yet to address this issue. For me natural hair is too much work.
I know exactly what you mean. For me, black hair period is too much work. Even as a child I hated Saturday nights because I would have to come inside while my brothers were out playing so my mom could wash, condition, grease and plait my hair I have a coworker who criticizes me constantly for wearing weaves or wigs (even though my natural hair is long) claiming I'm trying to fit in. The truth is I like change. One morning I may want to wear my hair in a ponytail, the next I may want to wear curls, that afternoon I may want it short and feathered; the next day I might want highlights – if I did all that to my natural hair (relaxed or not) I’d be bald. A lot of people don't get that; they see a black woman with a weave and they think "oh she's this, that or the other". I just like to change up my hair styles; just like I change my earrings.

I have a friend who wears her hair naturally and she wears a variety of styles. Every time she comes from getting it done, I always consider going back natural but then I think about my lifestyle and I just know it won't work.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:48 PM

8,998 posts, read 13,068,752 times
I once saw pictures of a girl who liked weaves and her natural hair was GORGEOUS. I can understand wanting to change it up and there is nothing wrong with that.
What I do have a problem with is black women who feel they need weaves in order to be beautiful. There are many ways to be beautiful.

Natural hair works well with my lifestyle. I like to work out and go swimming in the summer so having short hair really helps. I don't have to worry about sweating out my relaxer or worry about spending an hour doing my hair after I go swimming.

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 08-10-2009 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: removed quote of now-deleted post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or