Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2009, 07:29 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
There are videos on Youtube that can help you braid or twist your hair. What about buying a little doll head and practicing on that? Can't hurt,right?
I had a couple of those when i was younger but the hair was so silky and straight they braids never stayed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 08:21 AM

257 posts, read 1,058,147 times
Quote:
Sometimes being natural can cost more than having relaxed hair. I paid $35 for my relaxer and places around here want to charge $65 for two strand twists.
What is UP with that?? I swear, some of these natural hair salons are straight up price-gougers! It's not that difficult, sheesh. So much money for a couple twists or comb coils-no extensions, chemicals, heat tools, etc. I just don't see where these prices are coming from. Hopefully as more women go natural, more salons will open and the prices will become competitive. For now, I stick to doing it myself.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrown17 View Post
What is UP with that?? I swear, some of these natural hair salons are straight up price-gougers! It's not that difficult, sheesh. So much money for a couple twists or comb coils-no extensions, chemicals, heat tools, etc. I just don't see where these prices are coming from. Hopefully as more women go natural, more salons will open and the prices will become competitive. For now, I stick to doing it myself.
Because they claim they have to go through special classes to learn how to take care of natural hair and the prodcuts and equipment are more expensive. I really do think they're just price-gouging though. As more women decide to go natural and more shops offer those services the prices will have to go down.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,853 times
Yes I think so, I went natural 7 months ago and I love it. Almost every day I meet someone who just went natural or is transitioning to natural. I just wish that black women as a whole were not ashamed of their natural hair and yes, I know that all women who relax their are not ashamed of their hair but most are.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:51 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrown17 View Post
I wish I knew how to do it myself. If I had the time to really teach myself, I'd give it a go.
I think about $30-35 is fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Because they claim they have to go through special classes to learn how to take care of natural hair and the prodcuts and equipment are more expensive. I really do think they're just price-gouging though. As more women decide to go natural and more shops offer those services the prices will have to go down.
I can bring my own products and equipment if that's the case.
I think they realize they have a monopoly and can pretty much charge what they want. I really wish I knew how to do natural hair because I'd go in business for myself and charge REASONABLE prices and try to work with people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketket1 View Post
Yes I think so, I went natural 7 months ago and I love it. Almost every day I meet someone who just went natural or is transitioning to natural. I just wish that black women as a whole were not ashamed of their natural hair and yes, I know that all women who relax their are not ashamed of their hair but most are.
I don't think many are ashamed, they're just simply responding to the culture we live in. How many prominent black celebrities have natural hair?
Many of the big time black celebrities have relaxed hair.

Plus many black women had their hair relaxed at an early age so they never really knew their true texture and subsequently didn't know how to braid, twist, etc. their own hair.

So....I wanted to insert a new little topic: Good or Bad Hair? Hair Combing Video Stirs Debate : NPR

If you listen to the story it takes about 13 minutes of your day. It's worth a listen, even if you get through half of it. To really understand it, you have to see this Youtube video:

YouTube - Nappy Ass Hair

I couldn't even watch the whole thing.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:03 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,927,870 times
Thats tooo funy! How she got a weave though and trying to keep the lil girl hair "natural"????? I went thru this with my son....minus all the cursing!

Old 08-13-2009, 08:07 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayLove View Post
Thats tooo funy! How she got a weave though and trying to keep the lil girl hair "natural"????? I went thru this with my son....minus all the cursing!
I actually admire moms who keep their kids hair natural even when the own mother has relaxed hair.
I think we should all have the choice as to whether we relax our hair or not. Had I been asked, "Do you want a relaxer?" I would have said no but my mom decided to relax my hair at a young age. I can't really say I blame my mom. I am sure she figured she was doing what was best for me.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:48 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,546,476 times
Quote:
I wish I knew how to do it myself. If I had the time to really teach myself, I'd give it a go.
I think about $30-35 is fair.

I can bring my own products and equipment if that's the case.
I think they realize they have a monopoly and can pretty much charge what they want. I really wish I knew how to do natural hair because I'd go in business for myself and charge REASONABLE prices and try to work with people.

I don't think many are ashamed, they're just simply responding to the culture we live in. How many prominent black celebrities have natural hair?
Many of the big time black celebrities have relaxed hair.

Plus many black women had their hair relaxed at an early age so they never really knew their true texture and subsequently didn't know how to braid, twist, etc. their own hair.

So....I wanted to insert a new little topic: Good or Bad Hair? Hair Combing Video Stirs Debate : NPR

If you listen to the story it takes about 13 minutes of your day. It's worth a listen, even if you get through half of it. To really understand it, you have to see this Youtube video:

YouTube - Nappy Ass Hair

I couldn't even watch the whole thing.

Interesting video and there is more going on in that house then a fight over combing through hair. This mother seems to be overwhelmed and the children needed a belt to their butts a long time ago. Another thing that was clear to me while watching this video is that the mother had no clue how to deal with her childrens hair........probably because as you mentioned there was a relaxer put in her hair from an early age so she never learned how to manage natural hair. One thing is for sure her cursing and the way she is handling these children will cause them to have a complex about natural hair when they grow up........they will probably end up relaxing their hair because of this. As far as I am concerned it is common sense that when the hair is thick like that it is best to part it into 4 sections and detangle one section at a time rather then trying to deal with the entire head at one time.

Another thing that I think is causing a problem is the word "Nappy".......this word needs to stop being used when describing black hair. Especially when we are dealing with children......children are like a sponge, they will absorb any message that we give them both positive and negative.......therefore before we tell our daughters that they have nappy hair we should stop and think about the message this is sending to a child. Most of a childs self image is learned from home.......therefore when we are careful about the messages we give to a child we can begin to change the negative thoughts, stereotypes and perceptions that we have in the black community about natural hair.

Good video, thanks for sharing.

Last edited by NewYorkBorn; 08-13-2009 at 09:00 AM..

Old 08-13-2009, 09:32 AM

295 posts, read 667,473 times
On Topic. Has everybody heard about Chris Rock's film commenting on black hair in America?

Good Hair the Movie

Old 08-13-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Interesting video and there is more going on in that house then a fight over combing through hair. This mother seems to be overwhelmed and the children needed a belt to their butts a long time ago. Another thing that was clear to me while watching this video is that the mother had no clue how to deal with her childrens hair........probably because as you mentioned there was a relaxer put in her hair from an early age so she never learned how to manage natural hair. One thing is for sure her cursing and the way she is handling these children will cause them to have a complex about natural hair when they grow up........they will probably end up relaxing their hair because of this. As far as I am concerned it is common sense that when the hair is thick like that it is best to part it into 4 sections and detangle one section at a time rather then trying to deal with the entire head at one time.

Another thing that I think is causing a problem is the word "Nappy".......this word needs to stop being used when describing black hair. Especially when we are dealing with children......children are like a sponge, they will absorb any message that we give them both positive and negative.......therefore before we tell our daughters that they have nappy hair we should stop and think about the message this is sending to a child. Most of a childs self image is learned from home.......therefore when we are careful about the messages we give to a child we can begin to change the negative thoughts, stereotypes and perceptions that we have in the black community about natural hair.

Good video, thanks for sharing.
I agree; from a young age I learned that calling somebody "nappy headed" was a sign of disrespect. You're also right about the common sense when it comes to parting and detangling hair and if you don't have common sense - it's usually written on the back of most products. I know it's on the back of my shampoo, conditioner and hair grease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care