U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 05:53 PM

559 posts, read 1,202,097 times

Advertisements

I don't know if natural hair is going to continue to be popular and attract more women. I think that depends on whatever styles and trends become popular in the future.

I've noticed more black women with natural hair styles on TV, in print ads, etc. I haven't seen this with women I see in person though. I haven't noticed if the natural hair salons around here have seen an increase in business because I've been doing my own hair.

My last relaxer was almost 2 years ago. I decided to transition instead of cutting off all of the relaxed hair at once because I wouldn't feel comfortable with short hair.

One reason I stopped relaxing is that I like a lot of natural hair styles and I was curious about my own natural texture and what I could do with it as far as products & styling. I have a flat iron for when I want to wear it straight though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 01:22 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,156,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis View Post
I don't know if natural hair is going to continue to be popular and attract more women. I think that depends on whatever styles and trends become popular in the future.

I've noticed more black women with natural hair styles on TV, in print ads, etc. I haven't seen this with women I see in person though. I haven't noticed if the natural hair salons around here have seen an increase in business because I've been doing my own hair.

My last relaxer was almost 2 years ago. I decided to transition instead of cutting off all of the relaxed hair at once because I wouldn't feel comfortable with short hair.

One reason I stopped relaxing is that I like a lot of natural hair styles and I was curious about my own natural texture and what I could do with it as far as products & styling. I have a flat iron for when I want to wear it straight though.
Good for you!!
Going natural has definitely been a positive experience for me. I did the same thing you did.........I spent 1 year allowing the relaxer to grow out of my hair so that I would not have to start the locks short. I am now the beauty supply stores worst nightmare.......because I have taken my freedom back and no longer need to spend my money in their stores buying a bunch of products. Which is another reason it is good when we decide to go natural..........most of those stores that are selling the weaving hair and hair products are not black owned..........we are big consumers and have made these stores rich........have received nothing in return in the black community.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:45 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,604,263 times
I can't imagine wanting to go natural. I'm white, and I'm jealous of all the weaves and braids and everything else that black women can get away with and look great (not having to wash my hair daily would be great too). I think it's no different from white girls coloring and highlighting the heck out of their hair, or asians curling to add more volume. Even me going back to my natural color I lighten and highlight and streak and curl and pretty much anything else I'm in the mood for.

I'm not saying you can't be beautiful and natural, but when there's so much fun you can have, who'd want to? I think it has nothing to do with not being proud of your heritage, and everything to do with girls love to get dolled up.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:50 AM

1,806 posts, read 5,098,536 times
And the flip side of that, as another Caucasian, I love the natural look...whether it be full-on afro or cropped close to the scalp, I find the texture quite beautiful.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:02 AM

14,330 posts, read 19,502,179 times
I'm still trying to figure out why most black men prefer to look like Sonny Liston rather than the young Cassius Clay.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderbear View Post
I can't imagine wanting to go natural. I'm white, and I'm jealous of all the weaves and braids and everything else that black women can get away with and look great (not having to wash my hair daily would be great too). I think it's no different from white girls coloring and highlighting the heck out of their hair, or asians curling to add more volume. Even me going back to my natural color I lighten and highlight and streak and curl and pretty much anything else I'm in the mood for.

I'm not saying you can't be beautiful and natural, but when there's so much fun you can have, who'd want to? I think it has nothing to do with not being proud of your heritage, and everything to do with girls love to get dolled up.
Having fun with different hairstyles is great.....if that is what a black woman chooses to do with her hair.........and if that is the true reason she is weaving, perming etc. I did that for a lot of years. However the problem is that most black women are not doing it to simply have fun with different hairstyles or get dolled up. They are doing it because this society has shown us that doors are closed to us when we decide to embrace our natural hair. Since the days of slavery we have been taught (brainwashed) to believe that there is something wrong with being our natural selves. We were taught that if we want to be accepted into white society that we must conform and try to look as white as possible.

Yes it is very different then white women coloring their hair or asian women curling there hair. It is different because white and asian women were not raised in a society where they are taught that they MUST change to be accepted. You coloring your hair as a white woman or an asian woman curling their hair is by CHOICE......totally different from the reasons a black woman is doing it. No one in this society is going to stop a white or asian woman from getting a job because she got "dolled up" and colored her hair! You simply can not compare the views of generations of black women whose ancestors went through 400 years of slavery and were taught that we have to conform in order to be accepted in white society to that of the views of white and asian women. That is like comparing apples to oranges!

It is way beyond getting dolled up.......perming is permanently changing the structure of the hair. I truly believe that if we did not have the idea that doors would be closed to us if we wear our natural hair........many more black women would feel comfortable going natural.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33458 View Post
And the flip side of that, as another Caucasian, I love the natural look...whether it be full-on afro or cropped close to the scalp, I find the texture quite beautiful.
Too bad there are not more who think like you in corporate america and other areas of society.

Also too bad that many black women do not share your views regarding the beauty of their natural hair texture. I also see the beauty in the natural hair texture. This all boils down to years of PROPAGANDA AND BRAINWASHING that we must heal from.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:15 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 2,983,231 times
Its so funny that I came across this post. Its been blogged about alot lately and I have yet to address this issue. For me natural hair is too much work. I have had a perm for as long as I can remember.....and I dont see that changing in the near future. It takes me 0.5 seconds to combs my hair down from my wrap and into a ponytail or left out. I wash/condition my hair every week- 2 weeks the most and perm my hair every 8 weeks sometimes longer and 1 minute to wrap it back up at night. For me its not about black not being beautiful because it is(beautiful)!! I dont feel I have a self esteem issue because I dont wear my natural hair....this is the way I like my hair and so this is how I wear it. Why must black women be pigeonholed to wear their hair natural when all the rest of the women get to change it up? I see white women and their dyes and extensions, Asians going blonde, hispanics wearing weaves, colors, getting perms as well. I also see some "natural" AA women with dyed strands as well. When I watch the discovery channel or some other educational program on some tribes in Africa and other places those women are not wearing Fro's....I see braids, dreads covered in red clay, hair that is tied up with string and shells...I mean all different things so what makes a woman the "natural" look more black/proud to be black than me and my perm?

I am not attacking anyone on this thread nor am I saying that their is anything wrong with natural hair. If you like it I love it but dont down what I like. When ever I hear this topic I just cant help but feel like this is some reverse racism/self hatred. As if this is another way for AA women to not feel good about themselves or another way to seperate our race....as if we are not divided enough. Black women should be able to wear their hair anyway they please without ppl telling them that they are ashamed to be black because their hair isnt natural...."the way god made them" and if you keep it the way god made you then you dont wear makeup either then Im assuming

Old 07-07-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YBF View Post
Its so funny that I came across this post. Its been blogged about alot lately and I have yet to address this issue. For me natural hair is too much work. I have had a perm for as long as I can remember.....and I dont see that changing in the near future. It takes me 0.5 seconds to combs my hair down from my wrap and into a ponytail or left out. I wash/condition my hair every week- 2 weeks the most and perm my hair every 8 weeks sometimes longer and 1 minute to wrap it back up at night. For me its not about black not being beautiful because it is(beautiful)!! I dont feel I have a self esteem issue because I dont wear my natural hair....this is the way I like my hair and so this is how I wear it. Why must black women be pigeonholed to wear their hair natural when all the rest of the women get to change it up? I see white women and their dyes and extensions, Asians going blonde, hispanics wearing weaves, colors, getting perms as well. I also see some "natural" AA women with dyed strands as well. When I watch the discovery channel or some other educational program on some tribes in Africa and other places those women are not wearing Fro's....I see braids, dreads covered in red clay, hair that is tied up with string and shells...I mean all different things so what makes a woman the "natural" look more black/proud to be black than me and my perm?

I am not attacking anyone on this thread nor am I saying that their is anything wrong with natural hair. If you like it I love it but dont down what I like. When ever I hear this topic I just cant help but feel like this is some reverse racism/self hatred. As if this is another way for AA women to not feel good about themselves or another way to seperate our race....as if we are not divided enough. Black women should be able to wear their hair anyway they please without ppl telling them that they are ashamed to be black because their hair isnt natural...."the way god made them" and if you keep it the way god made you then you dont wear makeup either then Im assuming
If it does not apply.....then let it fly!! This thread was not directed at black women who are perming their hair to begin with. This thread is directed at those that are NATURAL or CONSIDERING GOING NATURAL and where they see the natural hair movement going in the future. However as with all of the threads on this forum there are always those that will twist what is being discussed and respond eventhough it has nothing to do with them. It is exactly the opposite.....we have been "pigeonhold" (brainwashed) to wear our hair permed in order to fit in to main stream society......I hear that from AA women all the time, "if I wear my hair natural I will not have certain opportunities". This has nothing to do with hair dye, curling hair or wearing makeup!! This is another way these threads fall off topic.

Compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges! If someone wears makeup at the end of the day they go home, wash their face and the makeup washes away.........if a woman perms her hair it does not simply wash away at the end of the day, it must be grown out or cut out.......big difference. As I said in my previous post on this topic.........my reasons for going natural came through wisdom, digging deep down inside myself and admiting the real reasons I was perming my hair for so many years and the understanding of who I am and who God created me to be.........therefore I stopped worrying about what the people in society think because I am more concerned with what God thinks! It is easy to gain the favor of the world and lose our souls! I used to tell myself the same thing.....perming was just easier for me.........when really part of the reason I always ran to perm my hair was because whenever I attempted to grow out the perm..........there were other AA women saying "girl you need to go and do something with that hair"! Those are my reasons.......take from that what you may.......if you are happy perming and see no reason to stop........good for you keep perming.

I wonder if people would feel the need to defend themselves about their practices if deep down they did not find something wrong with their motives. Speaking of self-hatred and low self esteem, we just watched a world icon (Michael Jackson) die and he had big time self esteem and identity crisis problems. I suspect the ills of this society, the images we see on television and the brainwashing affected him too. Enough to make him bleach his skin, have a bunch of nose jobs and lie about biologically fathering children that are clearly all white! Maybe we should learn something from this person who gained the world because of his talents but lost himself in the process.

Wow, never ceases to amaze me how people can take an innocent thread on this forum and turn it into a controversy! ("When ever I hear this topic I just cant help but feel like this is some reverse racism/self hatred") This stuff is so in-bred in us as black people and we have been so twisted up that we can not even come to terms with whats really going on so the minute the topic of hair is mentioned we feel we must attack other people for exposing it.

Last edited by NewYorkBorn; 07-07-2009 at 08:25 PM..

Old 07-08-2009, 04:40 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,859,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
..if you are happy perming and see no reason to stop........good for you keep perming.
I (white) grew up in the 70's and went to a mostly black high school.
Back then, natural was the norm. Everyone had a 'fro, even a lot of white kids with curly hair like my brother. Then later, cornrows became more popular.
Back in high school, I read about Malcolm X's first conk.

I have curly hair myself, and have embraced my curls, mostly because I simply cannot be bothered with high maintenance.

But I understand why some ladies might enjoy the different things they can do with their hair.

PS I thought Michael Jackson had vitiligo (scroll down.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or