U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-03-2009, 03:22 PM
 
635 posts, read 690,131 times
Reputation: 818

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I wash (actually co-wash) my hair about twice a week. Cowashing is using a conditioner to wash the hair instead of shampoo. It leaves the hair clean and super-moisturized.

I have type 4a/4b hair. See the hair texture chart "Her 4b is not MY 4b" spinoff(hair type chart) - Long Hair Care Forums

And I usually deep condition once a week using a cholestrol conditioner mixed with coconut oil. Afrotextured hair definitely needs to be washed more than once a month to maintain the moisture balance.

When you have natural afrotextured hair, it is important to moisturize the hair (with a moisturizing hair butter) and then seal the hair (with a light weight oil like extra virgin olive oil or extra virgin coconut oil)
R u a member at lhcf?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-03-2009, 08:03 PM
 
Location: La lune et les étoiles
17,611 posts, read 18,981,842 times
Reputation: 18918
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeraKera View Post
R u a member at lhcf?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2009, 01:01 AM
 
2 posts, read 4,795 times
Reputation: 13
I think it can look great if maintained. My hair is naturally wavy and I get compliments on it because everyone else seems to be doing the flat ironed look now. I personally think straight looks boring and flat on most people, as they do not have the proper haircuts to support it. But maintained hair of any style can look great.

I think the trend for women of all races is to have unnatural hair, and it has been for quite some time. Think tons of highlights on top of colour, plus everyone doing the stick straight haired thing.. bleh! Diversity is beauty. =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2009, 10:41 AM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
8,998 posts, read 13,075,380 times
Reputation: 3536
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I wash (actually co-wash) my hair about twice a week. Cowashing is using a conditioner to wash the hair instead of shampoo. It leaves the hair clean and super-moisturized.

I have type 4a/4b hair. See the hair texture chart "Her 4b is not MY 4b" spinoff(hair type chart) - Long Hair Care Forums

And I usually deep condition once a week using a cholestrol conditioner mixed with coconut oil. Afrotextured hair definitely needs to be washed more than once a month to maintain the moisture balance.

When you have natural afrotextured hair, it is important to moisturize the hair (with a moisturizing hair butter) and then seal the hair (with a light weight oil like extra virgin olive oil or extra virgin coconut oil)
Any links to a hair butter I can buy or any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2009, 11:41 AM
 
Location: Orlando, FL
12,256 posts, read 16,173,274 times
Reputation: 6608
I went to an event called "I am not my hair" at a college over the holiday. It was pretty cool. There were black women of all different shades talking about the stereotypes within the black community when it comes to hair. One girl had a shaved head (completely shaved bald) and she said it's not a political statement or a social stance - her hair was thinning and she just decided to do it one day (kinda like B.Spears).

It was a super cool event and I never realized how I stereoype other black women based on their appearance (expecially their hair) until it was right in my face. I'm looking forward to C.Rock's documentary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2009, 04:55 PM
 
Location: NYS
725 posts, read 1,837,068 times
Reputation: 335
Hey that video you guys posted a while back, titled "Nappy A** Hair". Someone reported that video as evidence and now the mom had her kids taken away to foster care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2009, 05:22 PM
 
Location: NYS
725 posts, read 1,837,068 times
Reputation: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I went to an event called "I am not my hair" at a college over the holiday. It was pretty cool. There were black women of all different shades talking about the stereotypes within the black community when it comes to hair. One girl had a shaved head (completely shaved bald) and she said it's not a political statement or a social stance - her hair was thinning and she just decided to do it one day (kinda like B.Spears).

It was a super cool event and I never realized how I stereoype other black women based on their appearance (expecially their hair) until it was right in my face. I'm looking forward to C.Rock's documentary.
Sounds cool. I never really judge other black women on the hair too much, but more so on clothes. But even now, I try not to do it anymore.
How do feel about Rocks documentary ? I've been hearing lots of criticism from other black women on why he shouldn't have been the one to do it.
Do you think he's the right person to do this documentary ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2009, 07:34 AM
 
Location: Orlando, FL
12,256 posts, read 16,173,274 times
Reputation: 6608
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveChick View Post
Sounds cool. I never really judge other black women on the hair too much, but more so on clothes. But even now, I try not to do it anymore.
How do feel about Rocks documentary ? I've been hearing lots of criticism from other black women on why he shouldn't have been the one to do it.
Do you think he's the right person to do this documentary ?
I love his comedy so I'll probably like it - black women complain about everything I hate when people who have the means to do things complain when other people do them. If you thought it was a good idea and you have the power to do it then why didn't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2009, 07:48 AM
 
Location: New York City
1,556 posts, read 3,156,194 times
Reputation: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveChick View Post
Hey that video you guys posted a while back, titled "Nappy A** Hair". Someone reported that video as evidence and now the mom had her kids taken away to foster care.
Where did you hear this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2009, 08:19 PM
 
Location: Greater Hartford Area
197 posts, read 344,187 times
Reputation: 102
I was natural for two 1/2 whole years. I wore my hair straight for the first year. The second year I wore my hair straight or in twist. I got a relaxer 4 weeks ago all because I have to totally different texture hair growing out of my one head. This was my second attempt to be natural. The front half of my head grows straight hair. The back grows beautiful thick medium sized curls. When it was blown out stranger would tell me how health my hair looked. I feel ashamed to have relaxed it. A woman in the salon asked me while I was getting it done "why". I did it because I could never just wear it out and free with out looking like I am a mad woman. Or I had to resort to wearing the same style all the time. I have it relaxed now and I do more with it. But I really miss my curls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:32 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top