U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2009, 01:51 PM

12,256 posts, read 16,184,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithi View Post
I was natural for two 1/2 whole years. I wore my hair straight for the first year. The second year I wore my hair straight or in twist. I got a relaxer 4 weeks ago all because I have to totally different texture hair growing out of my one head. This was my second attempt to be natural. The front half of my head grows straight hair. The back grows beautiful thick medium sized curls. When it was blown out stranger would tell me how health my hair looked. I feel ashamed to have relaxed it. A woman in the salon asked me while I was getting it done "why". I did it because I could never just wear it out and free with out looking like I am a mad woman. Or I had to resort to wearing the same style all the time. I have it relaxed now and I do more with it. But I really miss my curls.
I wish you wouldn't feel ashamed My hair grows in different textures too. The front of my hair grows a lot thicker and faster than the back and the back is more coarse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 07:26 PM

725 posts, read 1,838,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Where did you hear this
Online.
I heard a blogger followed through with the video, picked up the phone and called CPS. Lots of other viewers too. I guess they located the mother, and her 2 children were taken away.
The video was horrible, but I dont agree with them taking the kids away. Foster care can be a horrible environment for children to be in. I just think the mom needs a parenting class. I can't imagine what the kids are going through

Old 09-15-2009, 07:33 PM

725 posts, read 1,838,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I love his comedy so I'll probably like it - black women complain about everything I hate when people who have the means to do things complain when other people do them. If you thought it was a good idea and you have the power to do it then why didn't you?
Yeah I agree. I told someone online, that some people are taking this too serious. He was asked a startling question by his young daughter on why she doesnt have "good hair" and it brought concerns to him.
And I'm sure he's curious about the lengths some black women go through to achieve 'straight hair' too, so I don't see a big deal either.
Theres a facebook group about it all and everything. Some women are just mad about the film, and think its exploiting insecurities.

Old 09-26-2009, 12:58 AM

3,586 posts, read 5,480,355 times
Quote:
There have always been those in the African American community that have worn natural hair, from dreadlocks to braids to afro puffs. However since going natural (Sisterlocks) myself 6 months ago I am now noticing a really strong movement of African American women becoming more interested in wearing their hair natural.

Do you think the natural hair movement is going to continue to be popular and attract more African American women to go natural?
Well, I think that it will get bigger. I wear my hair natural, but had a perm once before. I hate that I ever put a perm in my hair, because everyone says that I have beautiful hair.

I only put a perm in my head, because as a child, I listened to ignorant whites who said that our hair was bad. But now I love my hair, and embrace what God has given me.

I think women are now coming out and realizing that their hair is beautiful and are wanting to wear their hair in it natural state.

But you will still have those who will wear a perm in their head till they die, because they don't want to deal with their hair, or have issues with their hair, due to the lies they heard as a child.

Honestly, I don't think that it is a movement, I think sisters are just waking up and realizing that they are destroying the beauty that they have, in order of what others are saying our hair should look like.

I had this person say something to me like " Are you supporting black power" I was like what the, I didn't cuss, but I wanted too. That is a totally ignorant statement. So, what my hair means black power. So, you see people are always going to be ignorant and stupid when it comes to our hair.

I say this, our hair is beautiful and I wish that more sister would embrace what God gave them.

Old 09-26-2009, 06:46 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,157,893 times
Miss_Shawn I agree with you 100%. It seems that every 4-6 months I reach a milestone with my locs and they just surprise me and look more beautiful. Never knew that I could love my own natural hair this much. Had an interesting conversation with a hair salon owner yesterday. She asked me who maintains my Sisterlocks and when I told her she said that because of the name of the salon a lot of black women come in the shop asking for natural hair services. She told me that she has turned away a lot of business because the only service she provides is perms. Now she is looking for someone to work in the shop that knows how to braid......mentioned to her that she should also have someone working in the shop who knows how to maintain locs.

As you said there will be black women who will perm until the day they die so the hair salons providing perm services will never go out of business. However as more black women embrace their natural hair, the smart salon owners will need to make sure to include natural hair services in their shops so that they don't lose out on new clients. Our awakening about the beauty of our natural hair is going to force business people to evolve or watch as their business's lose money. The same thing with the beauty supply stores, all of their products cater to those who weave and perm. Now that I have my hair natural and make my own natural hair products, I do not need them anymore.

Old 09-26-2009, 06:51 AM

8,998 posts, read 13,087,488 times
Quote:
Miss_Shawn I agree with you 100%. It seems that every 4-6 months I reach a milestone with my locs and they just surprise me and look more beautiful. Never knew that I could love my own natural hair this much. Had an interesting conversation with a hair salon owner yesterday. She asked me who maintains my Sisterlocks and when I told her she said that because of the name of the salon a lot of black women come in the shop asking for natural hair services. She told me that she has turned away a lot of business because the only service she provides is perms. Now she is looking for someone to work in the shop that knows how to braid......mentioned to her that she should also have someone working in the shop who knows how to maintain locs.

As you said there will be black women who will perm until the day they die so the hair salons providing perm services will never go out of business. However as more black women embrace their natural hair, the smart salon owners will need to make sure to include natural hair services in their shops so that they don't lose out on new clients. Our awakening about the beauty of our natural hair is going to force business people to evolve or watch as their business's lose money. The same thing with the beauty supply stores, all of their products cater to those who weave and perm. Now that I have my hair natural and make my own natural hair products, I do not need them anymore.
That's really interesting that she's having to turn away business.
There is a salon close to me that does natural hair services but they're definitely overpriced in my book.
There's another one a little bit further (20-25 miles instead of 5 miles away) and they're not any better.

I've found some people willing to do my hair for cheaper but I've found I'd much rather have a short cut. I might grow it out in the future but not anytime soon.

I definitely hope more natural hair salons open up. I notice a lot of natural haired girls at on my campus so I might need to strike up a conversation and see who does their hair. A girl in one of my classes styles her own hair. It's gorgeous. She was talking with another woman in our class about her natural hair and I think the other woman was considering going natural.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:22 AM

PurpleLove you are right regarding the prices for natural hair services....as more black women turn to wearing natural hair if these salon owners do not make sure to keep the prices reasonable they are going to turn customers off and lose business. The lady who does my Sisterlocks every 6 weeks charges me $75 which is equivalent to the price I was paying for my relaxer touch ups years ago. But she works out of her home and does not have the overhead to pay like someone who is renting a location so she can charge me a reasonable price. The thing that gets me is why on earth they would charge someone with natural hair an expensive price. Natural hair does not require all of the extra steps that permed hair requires. In my case the only thing the lady does is twist my locs and I am out the door until 6 weeks later. I wash and condition my own hair so she does not need to do that for me.

Would definitely be a good idea for you to speak to the other natural women about where they get their hair done, maybe you could find a place with a more reasonable price. With you wearing your hair short there is not a lot of work for them to do to maintain your hair so I can't imagine why they would try to be greedy.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:49 AM

8,998 posts, read 13,087,488 times
Quote:
PurpleLove you are right regarding the prices for natural hair services....as more black women turn to wearing natural hair if these salon owners do not make sure to keep the prices reasonable they are going to turn customers off and lose business. The lady who does my Sisterlocks every 6 weeks charges me $75 which is equivalent to the price I was paying for my relaxer touch ups years ago. But she works out of her home and does not have the overhead to pay like someone who is renting a location so she can charge me a reasonable price. The thing that gets me is why on earth they would charge someone with natural hair an expensive price. Natural hair does not require all of the extra steps that permed hair requires. In my case the only thing the lady does is twist my locs and I am out the door until 6 weeks later. I wash and condition my own hair so she does not need to do that for me.

Would definitely be a good idea for you to speak to the other natural women about where they get their hair done, maybe you could find a place with a more reasonable price. With you wearing your hair short there is not a lot of work for them to do to maintain your hair so I can't imagine why they would try to be greedy.
I could understand charging based on hair length or by the hour when it comes to twisting locs.

I would grow my hair out and start getting two stand twists done at a salon if I could find a reasonably priced salon. One place wants $65 to do two strand twists. I can just spend the $15 once a month to get my hair cut and lined up.

I am sure there are other women out there who can twist your locs. I used to go to a beauty school and get my hair done. I met a girl there that twists locs. I think it just takes asking around.

Old 09-27-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I could understand charging based on hair length or by the hour when it comes to twisting locs.

I would grow my hair out and start getting two stand twists done at a salon if I could find a reasonably priced salon. One place wants $65 to do two strand twists. I can just spend the $15 once a month to get my hair cut and lined up.

I am sure there are other women out there who can twist your locs. I used to go to a beauty school and get my hair done. I met a girl there that twists locs. I think it just takes asking around.
Because I have Sisterlocks they are smaller then traditional dreadlocks, so it takes her a few hours to retighten them because I have about 400 locs on my head. So when I break down the $75 that she charges me by the 3 1/2 - 4 hours that it takes her to retighten them it all evens out. I can see them charging $65 for two strand twists as you said if the person has long hair because it is more work but not for short hair. Yeah hair schools are definitely a good place to go. Someone that is in training can do 2 strand twists for a reasonable price. I love the 2 strand twists......if I did not decide to get locs I would have definitely gotten them, they are so pretty.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:41 AM

12,256 posts, read 16,184,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post
I had this person say something to me like " Are you supporting black power" I was like what the, I didn't cuss, but I wanted too. That is a totally ignorant statement. So, what my hair means black power. So, you see people are always going to be ignorant and stupid when it comes to our hair.
[/b]
I hate that - if your hair is natural then you're making a statement. If your hair is relaxed you're ashamed to be black. It's JUST hair. If my hair could talk the only statement it would make is "I wish she would pay more attention to me"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or