U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 05:46 AM

4 posts, read 12,237 times

Advertisements

More women sports their natural hair beautifully and comfortably...except when they try to sale hair products and show us a black woman with a big wig or weave!!!
Our natural beauty shouldn't be such a big deal...to say I wear locks and really feel like chopping them and getting a slick short do because less expensive, easier to care for me and easier image professionally and entourage wise!!!LOL
we are so blessed to be able to do anything with our hair!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 04:30 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,370,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mammalucci View Post
I totally agree also. I mean I don't know anything a bout Carol's Daughters but I agree about needing patience and that our natural hair has completely different needs. I am no way discouraged about my going natural. It is however taking me a long time to know what to do with my hair as far as caring for it and conditioning and the like, so I am just keeping a TWA until I can figure out what to do with it. As far as the essential oils to use to condition my hair. How do I use it? Do I put it in and leave it? Do I rinse it out? What should I do? Also what kind of shampoo can I use for really bad dandruff cause I know if you don't have a healthy scalp you can't have healthy hair. I have to wash my hair very very often - about every three days. What kind of shampoo can I use that won't dry my hair out and also help my dandruff?

Neutrogena makes an awesome dandruff shampoo and it was actually recommended by my dermatologist as well. You should give it a try.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:39 PM

127 posts, read 161,146 times
I am not black but I like natural hair a lot. It's great the CEO of Xerox is proving that women don't have to look like white men to succeed! (I think America went crazy with the "look like a (white) man trend" in the 80s with the super-sleek haircuts, power suits with enormous shoulder pads, etc. There was some seriously awful fashion that decade.) This thread was also an eye opener for me in terms of the specific cultural pressures black women face regarding hair. I don't think I had as good of an understanding of that before.

Due to my hair texture I use a lot of black hair products. It's been a challenge to find the right fit and mix of products. "Pure" products with the fewest amount of chemicals work for me. I also can't say enough great things about hair color lines like Dark and Lovely, etc. Most hair dye for white people causes my hair to fall out because it fries it and makes it more frizzy. It's great to have so many choices of dyes that don't cause that. I only wish the regular supermarkets offered wider color selections. On the other hand, the prices there are too high anyway, so I tend to find the best deals at beauty shops that specifically carry the products I'm looking for.

It seems like there are a lot of years where the beauty mags push long, straight hair as the "in" thing. Some people can't do that, myself included, due to breakage and texture. I don't think long straight hair is the ideal look. It depends on the person. Also, a lot of women don't have great hair but they grow it really long and it looks messy.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:59 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,993,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
[/color]

Neutrogena makes an awesome dandruff shampoo and it was actually recommended by my dermatologist as well. You should give it a try.
I use this and it works wonders for me. However, it is very drying. Its great for my scalp but makes my hair feel like straw. That's why it is very important that you use a good moisturizing conditioner right after. I use and love Aussie Moist. It puts the moisture right back in.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:21 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,113,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
I use this and it works wonders for me. However, it is very drying. Its great for my scalp but makes my hair feel like straw. That's why it is very important that you use a good moisturizing conditioner right after. I use and love Aussie Moist. It puts the moisture right back in.
I find all the dandruff/scalp shampoos tend to do this. I guess it is just a necessary evil for these types of products. The neutrogena didn't make my hair feel as drying as the head and shoulder or selsun blue that I used before.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:39 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,370,717 times
Yeah I don't think you'll ever find a "medicated" shampoo that won't be drying after all regular shampoos are drying too which is the point of having to use conditioner. What matters is if the shampoo accomplishes the results it's suppose too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or