Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 03:48 PM

2 posts, read 3,677 times

Advertisements

I totally agree also. I mean I don't know anything a bout Carol's Daughters but I agree about needing patience and that our natural hair has completely different needs. I am no way discouraged about my going natural. It is however taking me a long time to know what to do with my hair as far as caring for it and conditioning and the like, so I am just keeping a TWA until I can figure out what to do with it. As far as the essential oils to use to condition my hair. How do I use it? Do I put it in and leave it? Do I rinse it out? What should I do? Also what kind of shampoo can I use for really bad dandruff cause I know if you don't have a healthy scalp you can't have healthy hair. I have to wash my hair very very often - about every three days. What kind of shampoo can I use that won't dry my hair out and also help my dandruff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 10:21 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YBF View Post
Woman's Braids Land Her in Emergency Room - StyleList (http://www.stylelist.com/2010/07/14/womans-braids-land-her-in-emergency-room/?icid=main|main|dl5|link5|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.styleli st.com%2F2010%2F07%2F14%2Fwomans-braids-land-her-in-emergency-room%2F - broken link)

Has anyone ever heard of this happening from braids? I havent but interesting to hear about though
That's crazy. I've always told people if they're braiding my hair too tightly especially around my edges.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:09 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mammalucci View Post
I totally agree also. I mean I don't know anything a bout Carol's Daughters but I agree about needing patience and that our natural hair has completely different needs. I am no way discouraged about my going natural. It is however taking me a long time to know what to do with my hair as far as caring for it and conditioning and the like, so I am just keeping a TWA until I can figure out what to do with it. As far as the essential oils to use to condition my hair. How do I use it? Do I put it in and leave it? Do I rinse it out? What should I do? Also what kind of shampoo can I use for really bad dandruff cause I know if you don't have a healthy scalp you can't have healthy hair. I have to wash my hair very very often - about every three days. What kind of shampoo can I use that won't dry my hair out and also help my dandruff?
I haven't read the whole thread, but I noticed that no one had answered your questions.

Like many with natural hair, I don't use shampoo at all. Most are too drying for AA hair. I wash my hair with conditioner (I prefer Nourish Spa from Trader Joe's). For dandruff, apple cider vinegar diluted with water will work wonders. I use a 50/50 mix, but that is too strong for many. You will have to figure out what mix is best for you.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:07 AM

4 posts, read 9,626 times
Again if you are not natural then this has nothing to do with you....continue your love affair with the creamy crack!

Old 08-05-2010, 12:29 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mammalucci View Post
Also what kind of shampoo can I use for really bad dandruff cause I know if you don't have a healthy scalp you can't have healthy hair. I have to wash my hair very very often - about every three days. What kind of shampoo can I use that won't dry my hair out and also help my dandruff?
It could be that your dandruff is caused by scalp irritation from the hair products. I used to have a flaky and itcy scalp when I relaxed, but within a year or two after I went natural, that itching went away. It flares up only if I use a product that is irritating to the scalp. Something to keep in mind.

Milder and/or natural-based products (and moisturizing products) can alleviate an itchy scalp. Also, diluting your shampoo with water can help. Some shampoos I use (moisturizing) are Elucence, Tresemme and Phytospecific. I've also used Aura (rosemary mint). I switch up on the shampoos to help avoid product build-up. Here are a few sites to explore products that work well on natural hair:

Curly hair products | Curly hair care

Welcome to Cornrows & Co.

Oyin Handmade

I've tried products from all of these sites. The curlmart site is my favorite, because there is a wonderful variety of products. Some of my favorite lines are Kinky-Curly, Darcy's Botanticals, Curls and Miss Jessie's. But there are so many more. These site are a product junkie's playground!

Good luck.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,044 times
Default Black Women Going Natural

I believe the Internet has had a huge impact on the topic of black women transitioning from processed hair to going natural. There seems to be tons of support and information out here on the web. I have found lots of forums, blogs, meetups and websites on the subject and I've just begun my journey. I'm even looking within my own community to connect with other like minded women and to my surprise there are a few groups who get together socially to discuss and celebrate their natural beautiful hair. So I definitely feel there is a large movement of black women who are going natural and they're working it too.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:43 PM

I've been seeing a lot of women with natural hair on television lately. I was watching a show on TV one (can't remember the name) and this lady's hair was so thick and healthy looking it almost looked like a wig.

There's a woman on Project Runway tonight with natural hair and she looks a mess. It infuriates me when people confuse natural hair with unkempt hair.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:51 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,674,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I've been seeing a lot of women with natural hair on television lately. I was watching a show on TV one (can't remember the name) and this lady's hair was so thick and healthy looking it almost looked like a wig.

There's a woman on Project Runway tonight with natural hair and she looks a mess. It infuriates me when people confuse natural hair with unkempt hair.
Why?

Old 09-08-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Why?
Because being natural doesn't mean you don't take care of your hair. I see a lot of women with "natural" hair and it's so knotted up that you can tell they don't comb it regularly. I know we had the discussion about knotty, kinky, nappy earlier and I'm talking about the grade of hair...I'm talking about the condition of hair. No matter how you wear your hair it's going to require maintenance.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:35 PM

132 posts, read 304,565 times
Default Natural hair

These women's hair is absolutely beautiful. I do not have that length nor do I have that terrifically beautiful curl pattern. If I did (and I knew how to twist) I would be wearing my hair out like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care