U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-03-2009, 09:46 AM
 
Location: New York City
1,556 posts, read 3,088,184 times
Reputation: 939

Advertisements

There have always been those in the African American community that have worn natural hair, from dreadlocks to braids to afro puffs. However since going natural (Sisterlocks) myself 6 months ago I am now noticing a really strong movement of African American women becoming more interested in wearing their hair natural.

Do you think the natural hair movement is going to continue to be popular and attract more African American women to go natural?

Last edited by NewYorkBorn; 07-03-2009 at 09:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-03-2009, 11:01 AM
 
1,670 posts, read 5,697,292 times
Reputation: 1178
No, as a natural beauty since 1987 who refused to conform to perms, weaves, braids and the like. Although, you may see a trend, it will not be as large. There will always be those who prefer to be natural and it accounts only for a small percentage of the population. I have seen many changes since the late 90's to now, but it's not a large figure to measure any real changes. Yes, there are many natural beauty shops than ever and we see more natural beauties. It has not made a real dent in the beauty industry.

Here's a site, in which I have been a member of, that you may like. Nappturality:African-American, Black Natural Hair Care - Love Your Natural Hair
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2009, 11:26 AM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
8,998 posts, read 12,766,502 times
Reputation: 3536
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
There have always been those in the African American community that have worn natural hair, from dreadlocks to braids to afro puffs. However since going natural (Sisterlocks) myself 6 months ago I am now noticing a really strong movement of African American women becoming more interested in wearing their hair natural.

Do you think the natural hair movement is going to continue to be popular and attract more African American women to go natural?
I don't think it will ever be widespread.
I just received a perm as of yesterday.
I definitely know the damage that perms can do but at this point in my life, the commitment it takes to go natural is just not there, nor is the money it takes.

I plan to go natural once I'm out of college and everything and have the financial resources to really commit to it. I don't know a lot of people who have natural hair so I definitely need to make those connections and find someone who can do my hair in it's natural state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2009, 11:39 AM
 
Location: New York City
1,556 posts, read 3,088,184 times
Reputation: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn_QueenBee View Post
No, as a natural beauty since 1987 who refused to conform to perms, weaves, braids and the like. Although, you may see a trend, it will not be as large. There will always be those who prefer to be natural and it accounts only for a small percentage of the population. I have seen many changes since the late 90's to now, but it's not a large figure to measure any real changes. Yes, there are many natural beauty shops than ever and we see more natural beauties. It has not made a real dent in the beauty industry.

Here's a site, in which I have been a member of, that you may like. Nappturality:African-American, Black Natural Hair Care - Love Your Natural Hair
You may be right, it seems that we are a very stubborn group. Hope it does pick up more momentum. Would love to see more of us embrace our natural selves. Thanks for the links I will check them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2009, 11:50 AM
 
Location: New York City
1,556 posts, read 3,088,184 times
Reputation: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I don't think it will ever be widespread.
I just received a perm as of yesterday.
I definitely know the damage that perms can do but at this point in my life, the commitment it takes to go natural is just not there, nor is the money it takes.

I plan to go natural once I'm out of college and everything and have the financial resources to really commit to it. I don't know a lot of people who have natural hair so I definitely need to make those connections and find someone who can do my hair in it's natural state.
What caused me to go natural was not just the damage that the perms cause on the surface but also the damage that happens underneath the skin that we may not notice and also who knows what kind of health problems the chemicals will cause down the road. The other reason I went natural was something just changed inside of me and my outlook on life. A year ago I made a conscious decision to start embracing the person that God made me to be. I finally understood that if God wanted me to have straight hair he would have created me that way. Not to knock anyone who decides that perming is for them..........I just decided to stop fighting to be something that I was never created to be. Now when I look back at the years of perming and think about what was going through my mind I understand that I was just doing it because everyone else is doing it and that seemed to be the normal thing to do.

As far as the commitment to go natural..........I can honestly say that in my opinion natural is so much better. There is more maintenance trying to keep permed hair healthy then there is trying to maintain natural hair. Natural hair just needs to be washed, conditioned and a light moisterizer and it is ready. For the first time in my life I can get in the shower wash my hair, then get out and simply let my hair air dry. No longer any need for the extra steps of blow drying, flat ironing, hot curling or any of the other stuff.

Hopefully by the time you finish school and begin looking for a natural hairstylist you will have plenty of options to choose from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2009, 12:08 PM
 
Location: Fort Bend County
2,506 posts, read 4,893,517 times
Reputation: 2135
It's funny that you should mention it because I just got a relaxer this morning

As far as natural goes, I disagree w/ the statement that it is not as much maintenance as relaxed hair...I'm 20 yrs old & have been relaxing my hair since I was about 11, it has gotten pretty long now & I would prefer myself to keep it this way, yes it is a lot of maintenance but black hair in general is a lot of maintenance. One of my cousins chopped all of her hair off & is now sporting a cute curly 'fro, however she puts it in plaits @ night & then picks it out in the morning & she spends a lot of money on sheen, oil, etc.

It suits her but I also think going natural is a confidence factor too. The majority of women in my family are relaxed & maintain their hair very well. I myself don't have the confidence to cut all my hair off, it's been too much of an investment & has gotten me places I don't think I would have gotten if my hair had been it's naturally curly Afro state...

just my $0.02
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2009, 12:26 PM
 
Location: New York City
1,556 posts, read 3,088,184 times
Reputation: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
It's funny that you should mention it because I just got a relaxer this morning

As far as natural goes, I disagree w/ the statement that it is not as much maintenance as relaxed hair...I'm 20 yrs old & have been relaxing my hair since I was about 11, it has gotten pretty long now & I would prefer myself to keep it this way, yes it is a lot of maintenance but black hair in general is a lot of maintenance. One of my cousins chopped all of her hair off & is now sporting a cute curly 'fro, however she puts it in plaits @ night & then picks it out in the morning & she spends a lot of money on sheen, oil, etc.

It suits her but I also think going natural is a confidence factor too. The majority of women in my family are relaxed & maintain their hair very well. I myself don't have the confidence to cut all my hair off, it's been too much of an investment & has gotten me places I don't think I would have gotten if my hair had been it's naturally curly Afro state...

just my $0.02
Guess we will have to agree to disagree on the maintenance of relaxed vs. natural. The women in my family are relaxed too but starting to come around and open their minds to natural hair...........they have noticed that my hair takes me all of 5 minutes to style.........all I do is wash, condition, rub on moisturizer, allow hair to air dry..........it is true FREEDOM wish I would have done this years ago. As far as the amount of money your cousin spends on oil sheens and other products that is by choice........maybe she feels her hair needs these extra products. When I looked at the amount of different products I had in my bathroom, all of them claiming to do different things it was just crazy.........I gave all the products away to my friends and family members.

I disagree with the statement "black hair in general is a lot of maintenance". It is a lot of maintenance because we choose to make it that way. We always want to do so many different hair styles..........never happy with just a simple pony tail.........which in my opinion is the other reason we have so many black women with short damaged hair.........doing too many things to it instead of keeping things simple and leaving it alone.

Sad but you may be right on this point.........we are still living in a society that expects us to show up to that job interview permed. Although this is the reason I chose to have my locks done small........they look neater and that is all that is required in any job situation........a neat appearance. Can gladly say I have had no problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2009, 08:45 AM
 
Location: ATL suburb
1,366 posts, read 3,605,479 times
Reputation: 1542
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
There have always been those in the African American community that have worn natural hair, from dreadlocks to braids to afro puffs. However since going natural (Sisterlocks) myself 6 months ago I am now noticing a really strong movement of African American women becoming more interested in wearing their hair natural.

Do you think the natural hair movement is going to continue to be popular and attract more African American women to go natural?
No, and I think it depends more on where you live and what you're exposed to. In larger, urban cities, I think as black girls and women see others that sport a natural look and hold a professional positions, gives them confidence that they can do the same. If you go out to the burbs rockin a mini fro, "others" tend to feel more threatened and it's really too much drama to make a statement.

On top of that, we have music videos that seem to suggest that either straight hair (whether permed or weaved) or the curly haired sista are the only ones who are attractive. What does that say to young black girls?

I stopped perming and coloring my hair 13 years ago. I can't even begin to tell you how much longer and healthier my hair is.

Last edited by anadyr21; 07-04-2009 at 08:48 AM.. Reason: just to add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2009, 10:16 AM
 
Location: New York City
1,556 posts, read 3,088,184 times
Reputation: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
No, and I think it depends more on where you live and what you're exposed to. In larger, urban cities, I think as black girls and women see others that sport a natural look and hold a professional positions, gives them confidence that they can do the same. If you go out to the burbs rockin a mini fro, "others" tend to feel more threatened and it's really too much drama to make a statement.

On top of that, we have music videos that seem to suggest that either straight hair (whether permed or weaved) or the curly haired sista are the only ones who are attractive. What does that say to young black girls?

I stopped perming and coloring my hair 13 years ago. I can't even begin to tell you how much longer and healthier my hair is.
All so true.....a lot of it boils down to people stopping and really analyzing why they are really perming their hair. Usually the reasons they are perming falls into the following categories 1) Everyone else perms and they want to fit in with the crowd 2) they are afraid that if they don't perm they will face ridicule from other black women and society 3) somewhere deep down in their subconscious they believe that black is not beautiful if it's not changed to look white.

The problem with perms is that in the beginning and from outside appearances the hair may look healthy.........as years go by and women get older damage always happens, there is always some kind of breakage regardless of what anyone wants to admit.......no one spends years putting chemicals in their hair and can say that they have never had hair loss. I share your story about the health of your hair........my hair is so much healthier then it ever was permed..........my edges were thin when I was perming and was always a promblem.........since going natural my edges are thick and full. You made a good point mentioning that it depends on where you live and the influences in that place. But I also think that it is time we stop worrying about what other people think..........I would much rather worry about what God thinks of me as a person when I decide to change the person he created me to be..........it is saying to God that he made a mistake and there is something wrong with the person he created........God does not make mistakes!! It is so much deeper then hairstyling choices........there is something really sick in this world when people tell us that there is something wrong with something that is naturally growing from our heads and convincing us that we must change it or walk around in society feeling inadequate. The same people that created the straight hair, weaved, curly video vixen looks better PROPAGANDA are the same people who have a hatred toward black people..........they only want our destruction.

It all begins in the home.......mothers are the first teachers and influence of the children..........when mothers use the hot comb and chemicals to straighten their daughters hair........it sends a negative message to a young child that what God gave them is a mistake and not good enough............this is the reason so many of us grow up with the thought that we must perm. Also if the daughter see's mommy with a perm in her hair she is going to grow up and imitate mommy. My loctician has a daughter that is around 13 years old..........her daughter wears beautiful dreadlocks just like her mother...........she told me that her daughter has no idea what it is like to have a perm in her hair because she has never permed it........that is such a beautiful thing.

If we begin in the home by making our daughters confident the natural way we can begin to erase this FALSE idea in the black community's head that we must perm in order to fit in to society. Who says conformity is a good thing.........I would much rather be UNIQUE then look like a carbon copy of those that hate my black beauty anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2009, 12:49 PM
 
Location: New York (where else)
125 posts, read 352,388 times
Reputation: 59
I perm my hair and I like the look of it so im going to continue to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top