Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 05:52 AM

1 posts, read 7,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
My hair dresser used to tell me to stay away from prell because it contained enough amonia to give you a perm . LOL !!! I really liked it though but it did have a tendancy to dry my hair out and now pantene is the only one I can use because of allergies to it all it seems LOL !!!!
Your hairdresser should be telling you to stay away from Pantene too. The pH levels I'm that are EXTREMELY high.
When I went to school for hairdressing, we had to do a project on shampoo, and Pantene is the worse for your hair, plus it leaves a film on your scalp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 05:48 PM

1 posts, read 7,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
I like Prell Shampoo; it seems to leave little if any residue and has a nice, unisex herbal smell, and I usually don't need conditioner (which is fortunate, because I don't believe Prell makes one).

About once a month, I'll condition my hair with a tiny bit of Finesse conditioner. A bottle lasts me a year or more.

My hair is thick, tends to oiliness, and is already quite "healthy".
Dryness is not an issue. Greasy residue is the enemy.
Pell makes a conditioner that is in a white bottle and it has the same clean Prell smell. Ask your store manager if it can be ordered for you.

Old 08-09-2018, 06:29 PM

2 posts, read 7,261 times
I had hip-length hair thru high school in the 70s. I send GYHST every day. I don’t remember having a matching conditioner tho. If I didn’t use some, all that hair would have been dangerous!! But my hair was shiny and soft, never brittle.

Anyway, having a product made in the Philippines isn’t an automatic problem. I’m sure they are very nice, diligent people there, and we’d be ok using their products. The real problem is the price!!

There was mention below about the Vermont Country Store. While I enjoy looking thru the catalogs (that I did NOT ask for!!) and pondering all the things I’ve forgotten, I am just downright offended at the cost they charge for some of the stuff they have! It’s great to spend a little extra for fun things now and then, but candy? Shampoo? Lotions? Regardless of the location of the manufacturer, there is no need to price gouge folks. I love most of the stuff in the catalog, but my conscience will not allow me to spend $100 on a night gown.

Old 10-01-2018, 06:47 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I’ve been wondering about what shampoo to buy lately. The Pantene with conditioner I’m using right now makes crusty patches on my head. The time I tried Dove shampoo, my hair started falling out.

What is a safe shampoo that just cleans your hair?

Old 10-01-2018, 10:52 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,456,642 times
You might try Garnier Whole Blends line. Oat Delicacy shampoo and conditioner is for very sensitive hair. The Honey Treasures or Maple Remedy shampoo and conditioner scents are great for this time of year.

Old 10-01-2018, 02:07 PM

Just to weigh in on GYHST. I remember discovering it around 1972 or so, and it DID really smell terrific.

Old 02-19-2020, 11:47 AM

2 posts, read 4,758 times
Wink Shampoo

I used to love Gee Your Smells Terrific back in the 70's but it dissappeared and when I found it again, well it's not the same...drys hair terribly. My Mother In-Law back in the 80's showed me her trick to beautiful hair, and it was so simple. Prell and Head & Head and Shoulders mixed evenly. Wow is all I can say. Use it to this day, and never have any problems with my hair.

Old 02-19-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’ve been wondering about what shampoo to buy lately. The Pantene with conditioner I’m using right now makes crusty patches on my head. The time I tried Dove shampoo, my hair started falling out.

What is a safe shampoo that just cleans your hair?
Just an update. I’ve been buying cheap old Suave, and it’s fine.

Old 05-22-2020, 03:27 PM

18,116 posts, read 11,749,491 times
Default PRELL Combined w/Head + Shoulders Mixture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joi2u View Post
I used to love Gee Your Smells Terrific back in the 70's but it dissappeared and when I found it again, well it's not the same...drys hair terribly. My Mother In-Law back in the 80's showed me her trick to beautiful hair, and it was so simple. Prell and Head & Head and Shoulders mixed evenly. Wow is all I can say. Use it to this day, and never have any problems with my hair.

Hello,
I found this thread by searching for updates on GYHST. I noticed Prell came up a few times here. Any
Prell users still happy with this product? I've been using Viviscal
It's GREAT but expensive, especially the conditioner is gone more rapidly.

I'm thinking the Prell and H+S might be a good substitute. Anyone else using this formula?

Did anyone buy GYHST from Vermont? Share your thoughts on this?

Old 05-22-2020, 05:25 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,762,650 times
I have seen it on VCS, but have never ordered it due to cost. I would love to try it, I didn't know it was drying. In general VCS is a good site. I have ordered from them in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care