Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2020, 01:28 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times

Advertisements

Just finished giving myself a haircut for the 3rd time and I'm liking it more and more. One thing that always bugged me whenever I go out to get a haircut is when the barber over or under cuts a side and not to my liking and then I tell them to fix and some get frustrated because they think they know more than I do by saying that will cause the side or back to not get evened out.

Since the pandemic started I bought a barber razor hit and just started by shaving the back and trimming the sides slowly and then try to cut some at the top evenly. I messed up each time but my hair grows back quickly.

3rd time I was move brave and to started shaving with a #2 clip and go closer to the skin on the back and side. I can control how I like my hair trimmed without telling the barber everytime to cut more.

If I do get better, I don't think I ever need to go back to the barber again. I used to go to a downtown barber that charges $28 + tip is like $35. I probably no need to go back after learning to cut my own hair.

It's probably better to maintain my hair by cutting every other week than to cut every 3-4 weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2020, 11:12 AM

19,636 posts, read 12,226,539 times
It's liberating when you learn to do this, you know you don't need to depend on someone else to do it. It took years of being blown off by know it all stylists, some quite abusive, who never did what I asked, for me to say enough and take control. I hadn't even thought it was possible to DIY hair cuts, but Youtube tutorials helped a lot. I practiced on wigs, there was lots of learning curve. Now I do my own cut, color and I will be doing more complex styles and treatments. I really enjoy it and if I mess up there is no one to blame but myself.

Old 06-03-2020, 06:58 AM

19,715 posts, read 20,244,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post

It's liberating when you learn to do this, you know you don't need to depend on someone else to do it. It took years of being blown off by know it all stylists, some quite abusive, who never did what I asked, for me to say enough and take control. I hadn't even thought it was possible to DIY hair cuts, but Youtube tutorials helped a lot. I practiced on wigs, there was lots of learning curve. Now I do my own cut, color and I will be doing more complex styles and treatments. I really enjoy it and if I mess up there is no one to blame but myself.
Definitely!

I have never once been 100% happy with a "professional" haircut I paid for anyways - I always had to take out the scissors and touch it up at home. Self-maintenance is a great skill to have. I keep my hair long and just trim or layer when needed.

Great tutorials on youtube.

Old 06-03-2020, 08:07 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,075,318 times
I did a diy short layered cut three weeks ago and love it.

A professional trim would be nice, but if we have to mask up and social distance I'll continue to do it myself
until this foolishness goes away.

Old 06-03-2020, 09:53 AM

161 posts, read 83,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Just finished giving myself a haircut for the 3rd time and I'm liking it more and more. One thing that always bugged me whenever I go out to get a haircut is when the barber over or under cuts a side and not to my liking and then I tell them to fix and some get frustrated because they think they know more than I do by saying that will cause the side or back to not get evened out.

Since the pandemic started I bought a barber razor hit and just started by shaving the back and trimming the sides slowly and then try to cut some at the top evenly. I messed up each time but my hair grows back quickly.

3rd time I was move brave and to started shaving with a #2 clip and go closer to the skin on the back and side. I can control how I like my hair trimmed without telling the barber everytime to cut more.

If I do get better, I don't think I ever need to go back to the barber again. I used to go to a downtown barber that charges $28 + tip is like $35. I probably no need to go back after learning to cut my own hair.

It's probably better to maintain my hair by cutting every other week than to cut every 3-4 weeks.
I haven't been to a salon in years. Sad that it took a pandemic for people to realize they don't really need a salon. Do it at home!

Old 06-03-2020, 09:57 AM

161 posts, read 83,204 times
*For women/ people with long hair:
Take a hair band, scrunchie, whatever, put ponytail in front of your face, pull it down to where you want the length to end, cut under the band. Done. Even trim every time. YouTube it.

Old 06-03-2020, 12:33 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Definitely!

I have never once been 100% happy with a "professional" haircut I paid for anyways - I always had to take out the scissors and touch it up at home. Self-maintenance is a great skill to have. I keep my hair long and just trim or layer when needed.

Great tutorials on youtube.
I paid anywhere from $20 - 28 to cut my hair including tip and it takes them about 20mins or less to cut my hair. I don't have very long hair but I expect some areas to be trimmed to my liking but often I get a new barber that don't like going too short.

When I trimmed my own hair I thought it looked perfectly fine having the contrast that I like. There are stylist out there that does cut my specific style but they usually have a long line to wait for.

Old 06-03-2020, 06:54 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Great skill, great savings. You become your best client.

Old 06-03-2020, 08:54 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,170,085 times
I've been cutting my husband's hair for 27 years. He refuses to go to the barber shop, and he bought a clipper set. It's not always perfect, but it's pretty good and he's happy. I just cut my own. Shortened the layers all over. Didn't turn out too bad. I'm satisfied. I will say I'm glad I had layers to follow and just shortened them. I had very long hair and tried doing it myself once and that didn't turn out well. But now that I have a 'style' it's easy to trim up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care