U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 10:08 AM

2,185 posts, read 1,691,040 times

Advertisements

Ok I got a couple bottles off ebay because people kept telling me how awesome this stuff smells. it's a shampoo from the 70's or 80's but now only made in the phillipines.

I have to admit it does smell really good and lasts all day. But it ended up drying my hair out so severe it broke off!!!!!! I had to go back to using Aveda.

Took a year to get my hair back into shape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 10:20 AM

1,122 posts, read 1,293,827 times
GASP! I'm so sorry to hear that!

When I was a teen, my mother was watching a talk show where they compared many different types of shampoo and condition, testing to see which was the worst with leaving residue on your hair and which was best. Panteen got last place and Suave got first. I always hated panteen because no matter how long I kept my hair under the water, it never seemed to rinse the conditioner out and left if feeling slimy until it was dry. That is when I learned why.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:23 AM

1,091 posts, read 2,401,215 times
I like Prell Shampoo; it seems to leave little if any residue and has a nice, unisex herbal smell, and I usually don't need conditioner (which is fortunate, because I don't believe Prell makes one).

About once a month, I'll condition my hair with a tiny bit of Finesse conditioner. A bottle lasts me a year or more.

My hair is thick, tends to oiliness, and is already quite "healthy".
Dryness is not an issue. Greasy residue is the enemy.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:28 AM

7,920 posts, read 8,074,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
I like Prell Shampoo; it seems to leave little if any residue and has a nice, unisex herbal smell, and I usually don't need conditioner (which is fortunate, because I don't believe Prell makes one).

About once a month, I'll condition my hair with a tiny bit of Finesse conditioner. A bottle lasts me a year or more.

My hair is thick, tends to oiliness, and is already quite "healthy".
Dryness is not an issue. Greasy residue is the enemy.
My hair dresser used to tell me to stay away from prell because it contained enough amonia to give you a perm . LOL !!! I really liked it though but it did have a tendancy to dry my hair out and now pantene is the only one I can use because of allergies to it all it seems LOL !!!!

Old 07-12-2009, 10:37 AM

My mom's hair used to look great with prell, my hair would dry out. I have very fine hair and it doesn't react well to most shampoo's

Old 07-12-2009, 11:08 AM

4,551 posts, read 6,306,042 times
Hmm what would actually make you think that shampoo made in the Phillipines that you had to buy off E-bay was good I am sorry that happened. Are you able to get a stylish cut at least?

Old 07-12-2009, 11:27 AM

5,971 posts, read 12,252,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
Ok I got a couple bottles off ebay because people kept telling me how awesome this stuff smells. it's a shampoo from the 70's or 80's but now only made in the phillipines.

I have to admit it does smell really good and lasts all day. But it ended up drying my hair out so severe it broke off!!!!!! I had to go back to using Aveda.

Took a year to get my hair back into shape.
Don't know where you got your information, but this link from the Vermont Country store says made in the USA.
Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific Shampoo available at the Vermont Country Store

Old 07-12-2009, 11:56 AM

Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific - LoveToKnow Hair

"Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific" may be discontinued in the United States, but it is still being made in the Philippines. Fortunately, Jergens sold the formula to this shampoo to Vibelle Manufacturing Corporation in the Philippines where it is made and sold.
You can get your own bottle of this terrific smelling shampoo at The Vermont Country Store. This website carries many discontinued and hard to find items from days gone by.
[edit]

Old 07-12-2009, 11:57 AM

exactly, I think it's the alcohol.

Last edited by Cupcake77; 07-12-2009 at 01:18 PM..

Old 07-12-2009, 12:08 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,953,789 times
My guess is that b/c it is a product that is supposed to leave your hair smelling, well, "terrific", it contains lots of perfume in it and it is the alcohol in the perfume that's probably causing your scalp to dry out. I know allergy sufferers who can't use scented anything b/c they get a rash known as excema on their skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care