U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 03:38 AM

1,806 posts, read 5,099,760 times

Advertisements

OK...most of my life I've been some extreme of red, auburn, VERY dark brown or black. Natural color is a warm brown that turns brassy with any exposure to sun or dye. I have strands of natural red as well as white and all manner of brown.

But because I like the translucency that comes with aging, I wanted to see the progress as I turn salt and pepper. Stopped coloring 2 years ago. Shaved it off, let it grow back. Going long-ish but not my former Rapunzel.

'Problem is, I'm not at all pepper. I'm 'fawnish' for lack of a better word. Mousy. My hair has an overall muted appearance, lacking any real contrast and it in turn makes me look faded.

Yawn.

So before I reach for a bottle I'm thinking long and hard about which direction I want to go and if I really want to invest in roots again...have never been blond, know that many women with as much white go lighter...but I'm not sure if I can carry that. Am tempted...and leery. Love Debbie Harry but that's a lot of mantainence...maybe a cool, darker blond?

Can't go black - was very good long ago but ages me terribly now. The last time I did that I look like a rode-hard carny. I'm very pale but have too many freckles from gardening. Doesn't work anymore. Too much.

Could do dark brown but my brows are also whitening.

Pics in profile. Suggestions welcome and encouraged. I may very well talk myself out of this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 06:27 AM

Location: Its easy to be a perfectionist when someone else is doing all the work.
2,231 posts, read 5,451,761 times
Just a thought. If you have a lot of grey maybe you could go for the premature grey look but with an edge. Short spiky with mostly white streaking chunking highlighting and a few darker grey streaks for effect. If you do the right white it will really brighten you up.

Or you could just do a big dramatic white stripe in the front.

And when youre in the mood you could do a hot pink clip in strip. Im not into that stuff but I think they have spray in stuff that washes out.

Last edited by Cecilia_Rose; 07-16-2009 at 06:29 AM.. Reason: Youre not becoming drab you just need for your outside to reflect whats inside. :D

Old 07-16-2009, 06:47 AM

3,593 posts, read 10,651,707 times
I was a "bottle baby" for more than 20 years because of my premature grey. Now that it can't be considered "premature" any longer, I had all of the bottle color cut out with my last hair cut. I found that I also didn't like the rather drab look all that salt & pepper gave me but didn't want to go back to having it colored every 5-6 weeks. I decided to have some subtle highlighting done just around my face and on top. What a difference it made and its much easier to maintain than an all over dye job. Just a thought......

Old 07-16-2009, 06:56 AM

2,638 posts, read 10,904,600 times
Have you considered using semi color, like Clairol Radiance? It will coat the strands with a translucent tone and slowly wash out. It has no lift, so it doesn't reveal hidden brassy tones and there are no obvious roots. If you aren't too fond of the color you can try a different one next time. To start, try a level 10 blonde. It will make your greys look blonde and warm up the rest of your hair. If the effect isn't dramatic enough you can move down the levels to something darker until you are happy with it.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:21 AM

2,868 posts, read 8,621,370 times
Semi perm color will not color your grey. It will leave a stain on it but it will not be the right color. I say go lighter! You will have to decide what you want to do...Heavy highlight or just all over color.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:14 AM

8,668 posts, read 20,287,713 times
Actually, I have been very happy with using semi or demi-color. Natural Instincts is what I have been using. My natural color is a light brown. Now it is light brown with a fairly good amount of grey streaked evenly throughout. When I use semi-color, it makes my "greys" just look blonde and IMO, it gives a very natural appearance with easy up-keep and no bad "root problem" when growing out. I usually use a dark blonde shade.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:49 PM

It doesn't cover greys, it blends them - they look like highlights.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:34 AM

1,806 posts, read 5,099,760 times
Still grumbling...if I dye, it will be a cooler shade, making my skin glow and eyes pop, where-as warmer tones (unless a strong red) swallow me, make somewhat ruddy...was different when I wore make-up, but now a creased, bare-face has to handle it.

Roots...grumble.

Mouse. Eeeks.

Thanks to all...if and when, I'll post it.

Last edited by 33458; 07-17-2009 at 01:43 AM..

Old 07-17-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
I dye, it will be a cooler shade
Be careful with that. Cool tones on grey hair look very unnatural, because cool haircolor is designed to counter the natural warm orange/red pigment that lift reveals. On hair that is unpigmented, it will look odd, lavender or green or blueish, depending on the formula. A better bet is a neutral if you plan on using traditional haircolor with lift.

If you really want a dark, cool blonde your best bet is to bleach the orange/red pigment out of your pigmented hair and then tone back with a demi. I do this myself with born blonde to bleach, and Clairol complements demi in an 8N. It will deposit to more of a 7 on bleached hair. Go to a professional if you don't want to risk experimenting on your own head.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:44 AM

8,415 posts, read 35,241,333 times
Try using shampoo for silver hair and maybe try throwing on a toner & clear glaze for shine/smoothness.

It is amazing what a shampoo for silver hair can do for color. Give it at least a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or