Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 06:21 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,260,526 times

Advertisements

Okay, I am sooooo bored with my hair. For the past five years or so I've maintained a chin length, angled bob (shorter in back, angling forward).... my hair is just wavy enough that I have to straighten it with a flat iron for a sleek / chic look. Just wavy enough to be annoying, really.

Kind of like this:

http://www.zimbio.com/Longer+Bob+Haircuts

Similar color as above too. I lighten it and have done so for decades... my natural color is gross and boring (to me) and I've always hated it. It was super blonde when I was a little kid and then around age 12 it started darkening. It's a very mousy light brown / dishwater blonde, and I use the box stuff, max lightening available, to keep it a light golden blonde. I also started getting gray hair at age 27 so I'm covering that too with the blonde. So, it was a nice, well groomed look, great for the office and all.... but I'm tired of it.

I used to wear it long, with bangs, and got tired of that look also (plus, too hot, I had perpetual ponytail syndrome) but have recently decided to grow it out again (I'm getting married in a year and wearing a medieval style gown and want a long, romantic look for the wedding)... right now it's just past my shoulders, with bangs.

What I really want is medium-long "crazy", springy curls. I don't have to have all over blonde but I do want some lightness, heavy highlights, etc. Anything but my natural color... oh and anything darker than my natural color looks like death on me even though I'd love a deep chestnut like my son and mother have (I'm very pale --pinkish pale--with green eyes)..... so I am reading about the damage that can happen with perms over colored hair and wondering what, if any, options I have to get the look I want? I had bad perms in the 80's (didn't we all?) but from what I hear they've improved greatly..??

I guess I could stop coloring from this point forward and let the blonde grow out and chop it off, and then perm it, but that will take forever since I only have about a half inch of natural color at the roots. Plus I don't want to be all gray!! Ack.

Is it possible to switch to a less-damaging color, something closer to my natural color (with less lightening/lower peroxide levels) and start conditioning the heck out of it with plans to perm it in a year when it is longer? That way I won't have to endure some awful year of half blonde / half light brown? I know it won't fix whatever damage is there but perhaps it would prevent me from adding to it? Then when it's permed I could do some highlights perhaps??

I'm hoping for this (see link) but don't know how to get it (or if I should just forget it)... sorry for such a long post!

http://soshairdesignllc.com/images/hair/hair4frame.jpga

Last edited by fierce_flawless; 07-18-2009 at 06:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 09:10 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,528,936 times
I would initially go and have it darkend by a stylist. She could put a filler on it (if need be) and us a semi perm color from there. Which is way less damaging then perm color.

You *can* perm over lightend hair. You just need an experienced stylist and a really gentle perm...

But I would start to repair your hair first, darken it a bit and then perm.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:12 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,177,924 times
Since you want to grow it out, why not darken as suggested above and learn to use rollers instead of a perm. If you have natural wave it will most likely take well to rollers. Letting your hair air dry in rollers will be much better for growing it out too. No blow dry or flat iron heat damage!

Old 07-20-2009, 01:19 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,260,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
I would initially go and have it darkend by a stylist. She could put a filler on it (if need be) and us a semi perm color from there. Which is way less damaging then perm color.

You *can* perm over lightend hair. You just need an experienced stylist and a really gentle perm...

But I would start to repair your hair first, darken it a bit and then perm.
Thanks. I have hope now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Since you want to grow it out, why not darken as suggested above and learn to use rollers instead of a perm. If you have natural wave it will most likely take well to rollers. Letting your hair air dry in rollers will be much better for growing it out too. No blow dry or flat iron heat damage!

I'm fairly adept at rollers... used to roll it all the time in high school, but it doesn't hold well here in Texas except in winter (a term I use mildly)... all six weeks of it. LOL. If I could get away with not rolling it every night it would be awesome but it's so hot and sweaty here I have to wash or at least rinse too often and I don't have the time or patience to roll it every night. Rolling it is fun though and I do it when I have time and a reason (i.e going out or whatever)..

On that note.. I've almost always just used sponge rollers. Any idea how to get tighter, more spiral curls with rolling? I can position the roller to help some but still, I'd like them smaller.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:22 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,946,401 times
Quote:
You *can* perm over lightend hair.
Technically - you CAN; in reality - you DON'T want to. At best, she’ll have no curls and not too damaged hair; at worst, a pile of fried dry hay.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:31 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,911,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Okay, I am sooooo bored with my hair. For the past five years or so I've maintained a chin length, angled bob (shorter in back, angling forward).... my hair is just wavy enough that I have to straighten it with a flat iron for a sleek / chic look. Just wavy enough to be annoying, really.

Kind of like this:

Longer Bob Haircuts - Zimbio

Similar color as above too. I lighten it and have done so for decades... my natural color is gross and boring (to me) and I've always hated it. It was super blonde when I was a little kid and then around age 12 it started darkening. It's a very mousy light brown / dishwater blonde, and I use the box stuff, max lightening available, to keep it a light golden blonde. I also started getting gray hair at age 27 so I'm covering that too with the blonde. So, it was a nice, well groomed look, great for the office and all.... but I'm tired of it.

I used to wear it long, with bangs, and got tired of that look also (plus, too hot, I had perpetual ponytail syndrome) but have recently decided to grow it out again (I'm getting married in a year and wearing a medieval style gown and want a long, romantic look for the wedding)... right now it's just past my shoulders, with bangs.

What I really want is medium-long "crazy", springy curls. I don't have to have all over blonde but I do want some lightness, heavy highlights, etc. Anything but my natural color... oh and anything darker than my natural color looks like death on me even though I'd love a deep chestnut like my son and mother have (I'm very pale --pinkish pale--with green eyes)..... so I am reading about the damage that can happen with perms over colored hair and wondering what, if any, options I have to get the look I want? I had bad perms in the 80's (didn't we all?) but from what I hear they've improved greatly..??

I guess I could stop coloring from this point forward and let the blonde grow out and chop it off, and then perm it, but that will take forever since I only have about a half inch of natural color at the roots. Plus I don't want to be all gray!! Ack.

Is it possible to switch to a less-damaging color, something closer to my natural color (with less lightening/lower peroxide levels) and start conditioning the heck out of it with plans to perm it in a year when it is longer? That way I won't have to endure some awful year of half blonde / half light brown? I know it won't fix whatever damage is there but perhaps it would prevent me from adding to it? Then when it's permed I could do some highlights perhaps??

I'm hoping for this (see link) but don't know how to get it (or if I should just forget it)... sorry for such a long post!

http://soshairdesignllc.com/images/hair/hair4frame.jpga
How dark is your natural color and how light do you go? Lightening hair and then perming can be disasterous. Do you color your hair yourself? If so, the damage could be worse than if a pro did it due to overlap of color that is hard to avoid when doing it yourself. I would do one or the other and not perm over the lightened hair.

I had a mishap is beauty school. My hair was super short and had been lightened and then darkened (not repeatedly, it was too short). Then the instructor decided to use me as a model for a new type of perm that was very mild. My hair melted. The only style that I could wear was a flat top. Yes, I am a female. Luckily it was the 80's and I was a hairdresser so it wasn't too out of place.

For the look you want for your wedding, I would have your hair set in spiral rollers and then once they take them out, they can use a curling iron for any ends that don't look perfect. Since you have a wedding coming up and a particular look you want, do NOT risk it with more chemicals on your hair or you could wind up wearing a wig. If you insist on a perm, have a hairdresser do ONE rod in an area that has the most damage on your hair and see what happens. Sometimes very damaged hair won't curl well anyway with perming solution.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Thanks. I have hope now!

I'm fairly adept at rollers... used to roll it all the time in high school, but it doesn't hold well here in Texas except in winter (a term I use mildly)... all six weeks of it. LOL. If I could get away with not rolling it every night it would be awesome but it's so hot and sweaty here I have to wash or at least rinse too often and I don't have the time or patience to roll it every night. Rolling it is fun though and I do it when I have time and a reason (i.e going out or whatever)..

On that note.. I've almost always just used sponge rollers. Any idea how to get tighter, more spiral curls with rolling? I can position the roller to help some but still, I'd like them smaller.
These look cool:
Hair Flair - Extra Wide and Long Curlformers

I never used them...but hmm...

I always used a small size of these:
HairArt - Super Rollers

I remember my mom had these really small rollers that were as thick as two bic pens and would snap shut like the foam rollers. Those were VERY tight curls. I have no idea if they even make them...They was from her giant 70's haircare graveyard...lol

Old 07-20-2009, 08:01 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,528,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Technically - you CAN; in reality - you DON'T want to. At best, she’ll have no curls and not too damaged hair; at worst, a pile of fried dry hay.

Like I said...it all depends on the stylist and the type of perm used. It is doable...and if done right, no damage.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:48 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,946,401 times
Quote:
Like I said...it all depends on the stylist and the type of perm used. It is doable...and if done right, no damage.
Well, I'm yet to find such a stylist - including a fancy one in the Red Door Spa and I don't really believe other people will have much better luck.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:57 PM

Um..I colored over perms and permed over color. Nothing fell out or off or melted. I am not a stylist, I just called the company to see what I could mix with what. They do state possibility of risk and that is why most salons will not touch it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care