Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 10:51 PM
EB2 EB2 started this thread

1,925 posts, read 6,363,542 times

Advertisements

I've been swimming a lot (and living in FL with the sun [as much as I avoid it, because I'm not fond of burning + skin damage, even with a sunblock]) - my hair is drying out pretty badly. So, I went to Sally Beauty Supply today, hoping to find the ION Swimmer's shampoos but they were sold out. I opted instead (for now) for the ION Purifying Solutions Swimmer's Leave-In Conditioner (basically an anti-chlorine detangler, with sunscreen)

I applied it this afternoon, to dry hair, and so far I like it. But has anyone else used it? Any thoughts on it? Is it safe to use daily? (I forgot to ask the sales woman).

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for brands (less than 10.00 a bottle, preferably), or anything I can use to help keep the chlorine from further wrecking my hair? (I do the whole deal with wetting my hair before getting in the pool + washing hair before it dries with the chlorine in it)

TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 01:01 AM

15 posts, read 59,771 times
i tried L'Oreal Kids 2-in-1 Shampoo, Extra Gentle, Splash of Sunny Orange years ago and have stuck with it ever since. it's cheaper, better, and gentler. i stock up on that stuff! also, i use alot of silicon oil to coat my hair, before braiding it whenever i go swimming...it cuts back on the damage.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:33 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,934,552 times
Can't recommend a specific product, but one thing that is helping me alot is not washing my hair so frequently. I wet before I get in the pool and then immediately rinse it with cool water (no shampoo), thoroughly, and let air dry. I'm only washing with shampoo a few times a week at this point. I'm blonde with highlights and this is what's working for me.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:03 PM

15 posts, read 77,359 times
there is some special shampoo you can get at vitamin shoppe made specifically for this. You could give it a try.
http://www.self-confdence-coach.com/flashstuff/images/11.gif (broken link)
http://www.self-confdence-coach.com/flashstuff/images/10.gif (broken link)

Old 08-02-2009, 12:31 PM

28 posts, read 110,874 times
Smile mobilecomb speaks to EB2

I once worked with a stylist that was a bleached blonde. She got in a hot tub and when she dunked down and got her hair wet it turned slate, blueish black. She should have just avoided the water all together.

Chemicals on hair changes the porisity.? Maybe mispelled.
Hair is chemistry. I think the product line Nexxus has a product called Epitomy and it will put the hair to a natural PH. You will have to excuse the mispelling for I have been away from the salon for several years.
I do try to keep up as much as possible.

Bleaches are very easily to over process the hair. This is the reason people should use a professional stylist or color Tech. Call directly one of the Goulds Salons for they do hire nothing but the best.

Maybe it is time to go red or brunette. Winter is coming and colors that are deeper and richer help one to look their best with all of the fall colors.

Last edited by mobilecomb; 08-02-2009 at 12:34 PM.. Reason: letters left out and spaces needed changing

Old 08-02-2009, 02:51 PM
EB2 EB2 started this thread

1,925 posts, read 6,363,542 times
Thanks, mobile and all the rest. I'll look into the products suggested.

My hair is a dark blonde/light brown and sometimes has an auburnish tint. I have no intentions of bleaching or dying it, as I love my natural color and don't want to damage it further.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:05 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,294,082 times
You might scoff at the suggestion... I know I did... but how about a swim cap?

I took 2 water related phys ed courses earlier this summer; water aerobics and swimming. Since it was a summer session, this meant a minimum of 3 hours a day in the chlorinated pool at school. Not good. I was seeing damage within the first week. I had ignored the instructor's recommendation to wear a swim cap until I started finding breakage!

After that, I wore a swim cap daily. First I would wet my hair in the shower, then coat it with conditioner (leave in or not, doesn't matter much), then put the swim cap on. Then after class I used a chlorine-removing shampoo (not sure what brand, I found it at my grocery store), then more conditioner. It successfully protected my hair for the remaining 7 weeks of class.

Yeah, swim caps are kinda ugly, but they do a good job if you condition first and get a properly fitting one. And, IMO, damaged hair is much uglier! There are some websites out there that sell swim stuff and only swim stuff, and I saw quite a few swim caps that were actually quite cute. I especially like the retro styled ones with flowers and such, just for the kitsch factor. Also there are different varieties and materials and sizes, so someone who has a lot of hair, or a larger head, or a smaller head, whatever, can easily find a cap that will work for their own situation. Oh, and they are usually pretty cheap ($5 to $10). The one I used was silicone and less than $4 at Walmart but if I was swimming more than that class I would have bought a more "fun" one.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:18 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,455,514 times
I have been using Kiehls All Sport Swimmers rinse shampoo on my daughter who swims alot and has very curly dry hair...I love it so far! Her hair is amazingly shiny and soft. It does cost around $18 per bottle so may be over your price range, but I love it.

All Sport Swimmers Cleansing Rinse for Hair and Body, Skincare and Body Formulations | Kiehl's Since 1851

Old 09-04-2009, 01:55 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,551,616 times
You could do a peroxide shampoo...

Old 12-02-2010, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 6,539 times
There is a product called SwimSpray (see Welcome | SwimSpray, LLC) that eliminates the smell/irritation caused by chlorinated pools. It's the best thing that I have every used. You just spray in on you after rinsing off the pool water and then use your shampoo and conditioner like you normally would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care