U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 05:38 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,404,743 times

Advertisements

I'm late 30's/early 40's and my complexion is definitely getting ruddier, despite wearing sunblock ALL the time and trying to avoid sun. Right now I have a golden blonde hair color (natural is a med/dark blonde with lots of ash mixed with gray, ugly) and I think it's making my skin look even redder. My eyes are green. I'd love to try a brown shade, but I've always heard that as you age, you should go lighter. What do you guys think? I plan to ask my stylist, but want to have at least a general idea b/f I go in.

The only thing stopping me from brown is that years ago, I went too dark and it took a while (and $) to get back to my natural color. I'm looking for a job and trying to look as good as I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 08:52 PM

12,024 posts, read 12,381,399 times
With green eyes have you considered red shades?

Old 09-06-2009, 09:01 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,043,296 times
With ruddy skin, do not go redder in hair color. But do try a hydro crotisone cream for your face. My husband finally consulted a doctor and that's what the doctor gave him. Works great.
And as a redhead myself, I can tell you that Bare Minerals is wonderful...and I've never used make-up before. Pricey but... all that! Good luck.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:12 PM

2,746 posts, read 9,757,780 times
I looked this up a month or so ago and from what I read the suggestions were to go for ash tones. I went for a more ash blonde (vs. the usual golden I'd been doing for years) and it helped a lot. I have similar coloring as what you are describing and green eyes also. I am close in age to you as well. I am pretty pale but "pink" and I hate it. I had red hair once and was looking at photos of it recently and my face looked like a cherry tomato!! Ack!

Old 09-06-2009, 09:58 PM

224 posts, read 426,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
With ruddy skin, do not go redder in hair color. But do try a hydro crotisone cream for your face. My husband finally consulted a doctor and that's what the doctor gave him. Works great.
And as a redhead myself, I can tell you that Bare Minerals is wonderful...and I've never used make-up before. Pricey but... all that! Good luck.

everyday minerals is just as good, and less expensive... plus, you can buy like five samples for three bucks...

Old 09-08-2009, 10:05 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,059,989 times
Quote:
But do try a hydro crotisone cream for your face.
Beware - there are side effects from using hydrocortisone on the skin for more than a week or two. It can thin and discolor the skin, among other effects.

My skin is pretty ruddy (mild rosacea), and for me my natural hair color (light ash brown) seems to counter the redness the best. Surprisingly, my skin also looks great when my hair is an auburn red - it's like the hair is so red that my skin appears peaches & cream instead of red. If you are currently a golden blonde, you might try a more neutral blonde (don't go all the way to the ash side or your grey hairs will pick up weird tones). I use Clinique's Redness Solutions on my skin. It is a super gentle face wash, moisturizer, and a makeup base - they contain caffeine which reduces redness by constricting the blood vessels - it works great.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:20 AM

4,611 posts, read 7,901,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I'm late 30's/early 40's and my complexion is definitely getting ruddier, despite wearing sunblock ALL the time and trying to avoid sun. Right now I have a golden blonde hair color (natural is a med/dark blonde with lots of ash mixed with gray, ugly) and I think it's making my skin look even redder. My eyes are green. I'd love to try a brown shade, but I've always heard that as you age, you should go lighter. What do you guys think? I plan to ask my stylist, but want to have at least a general idea b/f I go in.

The only thing stopping me from brown is that years ago, I went too dark and it took a while (and $) to get back to my natural color. I'm looking for a job and trying to look as good as I can.
I would stay with ashy tones probably. With your greens eyes I think that would be best. Kathy Ireland has green eyes. Maybe look at some pictures of her to see what tones she leans toward. With her modeling and everything, I would think she/her stylist would have her hair color that suits her skin tone and eye color the best.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:35 AM

756 posts, read 1,161,122 times
Rich Browns. The darker hair actually reflects light better and makes your hair shine and look healthier ie younger. I think the "stay away" from dark color is for black hair color because it can make your features more severe. And, black absorbs light that could be reflected onto the face. And we all know that we want as much light reflected up as possible. ha ha

Old 09-09-2009, 12:37 PM

948 posts, read 837,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984vt View Post
Rich Browns. The darker hair actually reflects light better and makes your hair shine and look healthier ie younger. I think the "stay away" from dark color is for black hair color because it can make your features more severe. And, black absorbs light that could be reflected onto the face. And we all know that we want as much light reflected up as possible. ha ha
I agree. Rich browns- not too dark will work best. Draws focus to the eyes and away from your skin. Blonde colors actually draw focus to the skin.

Quick tip for anyone whose hair color comes out too dark or brassy...try Head and Shoulders everyday for a week. It will help tone it down.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:01 PM

2,551 posts, read 1,565,906 times
A light ash brown would probably look good.

Or a light golden brown (almost dark blonde). I have this shade and my hair looks dark blonde in the sunlight or regular bright lighting. It looks great. It's definitely my favorite color now and the color I'm sticking with for now on (after trying different shades of brunette, blonde, auburn, and red since I was 17). This is the color I love (#54 Revlon Colorsilk).

My skin isn't as ruddy as yours but it does get a little pinkish-red when I've been in the sun way too long (I have olive-medium tone skin). Something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care